Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BMW motorcycle owners
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
scotty b
I keep seeing more and more BMW bike guys here. I think we all need to check into one thread for posterity.

My 78 R65 cafe conversion. As purchased and as is. Trying to get it finished by spring unsure.gif ....again.......... dry.gif

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I don't have one but just around the corner is the area's guru. All kinds of people around here own them because of Bob. I see at least one a day going down to his shop, a converted one room schoolhouse.

BTW just around the corner is about 3 miles here;)
scotty b
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 21 2010, 05:04 PM) *

I don't have one but just around the corner is the area's guru. All kinds of people around here own them because of Bob. I see at least one a day going down to his shop, a converted one room schoolhouse.

No bike ???

NO POST !!!!! stick.gif

NO POST FOR YOU. 3 MONTH
draganc
damn scotty, you read my mind. i just spend hours yesterday to find a cheap BMW bike to turn it into a cafe racer. i have been riding ducatis for about 15 years and are looking for a "cheaper" fun project - like i don't have enought work with my 914 yet.
here is what i like a lot:

Click to view attachment

brant
Here is the 1971, I picked up a few weeks ago
I don't want to start working on it until I get a few other projects finished... so its going to sit until about november...

Mark Henry
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 21 2010, 09:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 21 2010, 05:04 PM) *

No bike ???

NO POST !!!!! stick.gif

NO POST FOR YOU. 3 MONTH

Do you want me to go to Bob's and take some pics?.......frick'in bike Nazi

biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
72 R75/5 Toaster tank here. R90S fairing.
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 21 2010, 06:49 PM) *

72 R75/5 Toaster tank here. R90S fairing.

dry.gif pictures required drooley.gif jerkit.gif
zymurgist
I had a BMW (Big Money Waster) car once. Does that count?
larss
Since 1976 I own a BMW "Road Scrambler". It's a -68 model and based on a R69S. The swedish importer re-built some R69S at that time since they thought that the BMW's orginally did not look to modern...
This bike has never let me down, fun to ride in the forest also!

More info at:
My BMW page

IPB Image
JmuRiz
Not a cafe, but a neighbor of mine has one of these wasting away in their garage...along with an MG TC filled to the top with old alumn cans!!! Old people can be so strange sometimes!!!

I'm just getting ready to sell my Bandit 400, since I haven't ridden it in 5 years, but damn, I'd be tempted to buy this R80GS if he ever sold it.
IPB Image
scotty b
Lars.... drooley.gif drooley.gif

Nathan......... GET THAT BIKE !!! drooley.gif drooley.gif
ConeDodger
Not vintage like the rest of these but this is my daily driver... 2000 R1100 RT SE

Love wub.gif Brant's future project...
effutuo101
ok, the toy chest

2001 K1200RS
1971 R75/5 parts bike
the wife's 1976 R75/6
the trainer CB350T 72

Here is the parts bike. Once the wife's /6 is done, I am going to sell this one and start a r100rs project.
effutuo101
the trainer
effutuo101
My Uncle taking the K1200RS down to Sacramento for the winter.
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

WoW, back in the day. I had a R-69, late 50's . There were 5 of them in town.

We were all friends ,they were great road bikes . The 1 st.summer we took a trip

from N.W. Ohio to Cali. and the west. All 5 made it just fine, allong the way we

-lost a BSA ( bearings ) and a Triumph (burnt to the ground in Utah ) . Best

bike I ever owned. At that time it was very unusual , shaft drive, opposed

engine. Lots on different bikes then , ever seen a Airell ( sp ) square 4 ?

That my allotment of memories for this week. Dave slap.gif
914 shifter
70 /5 go devil. i have owned this bike since 03.i have bought and sold other bikes since the late 70s buy far my all around favorite
andrewb
Here's my project..............

Click to view attachment

It's early days yet and there's still a couple of details to sort out. biggrin.gif

Something similar has been done before by a Californian (where else ?) so I know it can be done.
scotty b
QUOTE(andrewb @ Sep 23 2010, 02:10 AM) *

Here's my project..............

Click to view attachment

It's early days yet and there's still a couple of details to sort out. biggrin.gif

Something similar has been done before by a Californian (where else ?) so I know it can be done.

Check in here. There is actually a conversion kit for sale to do this. A local shop had one last year, got me to thinking hard, but I decided to keep mine with all factory parts.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/vwmotorcycles/
Dr Evil
You know I have a few. 96 K1100RS, and my 74 R90/6. Pics after I get off of work.

Btw, the K bike is for sale
914werke
What is the point of this thread?
There already is one in the Sandbox that make this redundant w/o the BIAS toward BWM mark bikes.

Dont get me wrong Im a bike nut, but if you want a love-fest for "BMW MOTORCYCLES" go find a specific forum, they are out there.

This is the wrong place in my opinion.

Just my little annoyance for the day.
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 21 2010, 08:34 PM) *

I keep seeing more and more BMW bike guys here. I think we all need to check into one thread for posterity.

My 78 R65 cafe conversion. As purchased and as is. Trying to get it finished by spring unsure.gif ....again.......... dry.gif

Click to view attachment

ARG! beerchug.gif Man, I miss my bimmer!!! 1st bike i drove- my dad bought a 71 R90s toaster tank in 1974,- Blue with white vetter faring and saddle bags. must have a picture somewhere..... Gave it to me in 84 when I grad. from H.S., had it for 6 years, mint with 30,000 miles got"practical" and sold it for $2500 blink.gif blink.gif
now 20 years later wishing i never got rid of it, you guys get me on the 914 kick- making me want one again! (been looking for 5 years for the right one!) my wife will kill me!

Great thread Scotty, hey guys, keep the pics coming! Was the best Bike !
Took a trip with my dad from Minn. to Calif. and back to see cousins in Escondido(was 12 at the time) what a great trip!!
sorry - triggered a memory there, -

anyway enjoy that bike , almost as much fun as a teener! driving.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 24 2010, 11:00 AM) *

There already is one in the Sandbox that make this redundant w/o the BIAS toward BWM mark bikes.

Dont get me wrong Im a bike nut, but if you want a love-fest for "BMW MOTORCYCLES" go find a specific forum, they are out there.

Really, Dude? Of all the things to get one's panties in a bunch over. Sheesh rolleyes.gif
Tom
Always wanted an R90s after seeing Reggie at Riverside going thru turn 6 on # 163. When he got back on the throttle you understood why they were nicknamed BOOMERS. Ah, the good old days.
Tom
bugsy0
the cleanest my shop has ever been
Click to view attachment
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I have a 1995 k 1100rs that I ride fairly regularly (we have great roads in North Georgia Tennessee and North Carolina!, and had an r 850 olympic bike as well a couple of years ago.
scotty b
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Sep 24 2010, 07:00 AM) *

Don't like my thread ? Don't post in it. It's that damned simple.

I see more and more here with BMW's and thought it would be interesting to get a posting from each. I'm glad you don't have anything in common with anyone here other than 914's bootyshake.gif Last time I checked this wasn't the Rich forum.
andrewb
agree.gif

Thanks for the link to the Yahoo group Scotty. I hadn't realised these conversions were so common.

It's also answered the main problem I couldn't work out - how to change the overall gearing to compensate for the fact that the VW only runs to two thirds the revs of the BM thereby limiting cruising speed to 50 or 60 mph. The answer - move blink.gif one of the shafts in the box. blink.gif and put a larger gear on it. Obvious really. blink.gif
Dr Evil
My slightly modified 74 R90/6. I put dual disk in front, shorter/lowered bars, some other tweaks here an there. I dont see me ever selling this bike.
Click to view attachment

My old K75 turned K75RS with K1100RS fairing kit. My current K1100RS looks similar, but I dont have any pics yet.
Click to view attachment

I had a bunch of pics of VW motors in BMW bikes, but I cant find them. I want to do one some day smile.gif
Coy
Okay, I've posted pictures of these before, but they are the only bikes I've had in a big number of years...
Click to view attachment
1981 R100 with Progressive Front Springs, Dunstall Exhaust, S fairing with gauges, 70's Napoleon mirrors, 78 Steering damper... I think this should have come from the factory like this back dated valve covers.
Click to view attachment
Fiberglass boat tail uses the grabrail screw holes on a long wheelbase stock seat.
Click to view attachment
Coy
If I had just one toy though... this would probably be it. Smooth as glass and plenty fast enough to kill someone.
Click to view attachment
I just love german engineering.
Click to view attachment
1990 base model k75 with a late 1980's C fairing. The paint code was supposed to be under the seat, but it was for "black" paint job. This was a bitch to color match, but I think the guy did a great job.
r3dplanet
Here's my 1971 R75/5. I've been through a complete disassembly / reassembly with this bike. Rebuilt motor, 5-speed gearbox, electronic ignition, HD springs, rebuilt saddle, repainted, rebuilt gauge cluster, etc. It's weird to think that for a year it existed, then it didn't exist as a whole, and then it did. Very existential. The bike has 227,000 miles on it. This bike is easily the best, most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

It's exactly the same month and year as my 914. August 1971.
brant
QUOTE(spankmeister7 @ Sep 27 2010, 11:49 PM) *

Here's my 1971 R75/5. I've been through a complete disassembly / reassembly with this bike. Rebuilt motor, 5-speed gearbox, electronic ignition, HD springs, rebuilt saddle, repainted, rebuilt gauge cluster, etc. It's weird to think that for a year it existed, then it didn't exist as a whole, and then it did. Very existential. The bike has 227,000 miles on it. This bike is easily the best, most dependable vehicle I've ever owned.

wow..
awesome job!
did you do most of the work yourself?
nice nice job

do you have any recommendations for part sources?
I need to start tearing mine down in the next few weeks
brant
Dr Evil
a&s BMW, Max BMW, and Bobs BMW are all great internet friendly BMW bike parts sites. The first two have the fisch on line so you can search the parts and get prices.
brant
Thanks Mike...
good to know
I have a lot to learn
brant
HAM Inc
I do an awful lot of BMW bike heads. Twin plugging, restorations, you name it. They are neat machines! I've thought of owning one, but I'm to chicken to ride one in this congested college town, and I never have time to joyride these days.
Coy
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 AM) *

wow..
awesome job!
nice nice job

brant

Very nice job! I've had really good luck with Bob's BMW.
scotty b
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Sep 28 2010, 02:31 PM) *

I do an awful lot of BMW bike heads. Twin plugging, restorations, you name it. They are neat machines! I've thought of owning one, but I'm to chicken to ride one in this congested college town, and I never have time to joyride these days.

idea.gif REEEEALLLLYYYYY??? idea.gif Nice to know smile.gif
Dr Evil
I may need a twin plugged head set in the future wink.gif

If I had the $ I would easily by another R90/6, you can never have too many. A /2 is on the menu as well.
r3dplanet
Thanks, guys!

I did most of the labor by myself, and it was a great learning process. I'm lucky that here in Portland Steve Prokop, arguably the best BMW mechanic on the West Coast and amazing human being lives just outside of town. Also, Jeff Truhn is right around the corner and he specializes in BMW restoration. He hooked me up with and rebuilt my five speed gear box. I've owned the bike since 2000. At first I just repaired the bike as necessary, but at some point I decided to just tear it all down and go for it. Most of the parts came from Eurotech, Rocky Point Cycle, Motobins UK, and Siebenrock. A few came from Bob's BMW, but I've had a little difficulty with them. I still like them, though. There is also a BMW dealer in town, and they've been a decent source of parts also. The only work I couldn't do was the machining for the engine rebuild, but I found a great machinist and developed a relationship with him and now I bring him all my projects.

The most important source of knowledge was the Yahoo group called slash 5 united (/5 united). Amazing knowledge base, all technical, no assholes, no trolls.

Probably the only real difference I would have made the next time around is to have the frame powder coated instead of painted. I know that's a holy argument, and I thought about it a great deal before having it done. In retrospect, I would have done powder coating hands down.

Anyway, one of the reasons I bought the BMW is because there are so many parts available and the amazing knowledge and character of the technical support groups. Plus, now that I've gone all the way through the adventure I can help others.

I'll admit that when I bought the bike it would help me meet women, but just like my 914 all its done is help me meet middle aged white guys. Sigh.

QUOTE(Coy @ Sep 28 2010, 04:17 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 28 2010, 08:26 AM) *

wow..
awesome job!
nice nice job

brant

Very nice job! I've had really good luck with Bob's BMW.

Coy
Spankmeister, Do you ever go to the OVM Vintage Motorcycle show in Corvallis? It's in May... they ride on Saturday and show on Sunday. It's a pretty good show. Lots of beautiful iron.
Eric_Shea
Spanky and I have the same bike but mine's curry. wink.gif
HAM Inc
Thought you guys might enjoy taking a look at a pair of R100's I finished this week. I twin plugged and ported them for a mixed use bike (it will see some track time). Once finished they got a black heat dispersant coating. A very nice pair of heads for what I'm sure will be a fun bike!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Oct 4 2010, 04:20 PM) *

Thought you guys might enjoy taking a look at a pair of R100's I finished this week. I twin plugged and ported them for a mixed use bike (it will see some track time). Once finished they got a black heat dispersant coating. A very nice pair of heads for what I'm sure will be a fun bike!

drooley.gif Is the black dispersant something anyone can use? What is it?
HAM Inc
Is the black dispersant something anyone can use? What is it?

Rick I'd like to tell you what the coating is, but that is proprietary info.

I have used it on other aircooled heads as well, T4 included. It is great stuff! Aside from great looks (not a big deal on a hidden T4 head) it helps shed heat big time. I considered doing it on our SCCA race 901 tranny housings, but heat hasn't been an issue for us.

In '09 I prepped a pair of R75 heads for a R60 bike that a guy used in the Iron Butt Rally. They got a complete bullet proofing, new seats guides, valves, springs, twin plugs, minor port work and they also got the coating.

After 10,000 miles in 12 days, nearlly all of which was done at full throttle the heads came back to me. I would like to say that they were in great shape, but they were not! The engine was tuned by ear with no EGT's monitored, or CHT's! Only oil temp. The rider (Joel Rappaport) said the engine ran strong the whole time and oil temps were great. He thought that he got some crappy gas at various tages around the U.S. but was thrilled to have completed the rally in the top 50. (He got a lot of kudos from the oprganizers and fellow riders for accomplishing that feat on a vintage bike.)
He was shocked when I told him the heads were basically used up. I believe that if not for the coating the heads would have melted! He hammered exhaust seats that are good for 1600* with unleaded gas! Judging from the chamber color the engine was seriously lean! I was proud that no seats fell out and they got him through the event considereing what they had been through. Joel said he would run 14 hours a day at full throttle!

I like the coating and it is not expensive.
scotty b
bootyshake.gif
scotty b
I am planning on replacing all of my charging and ignition system soon. Have any of you used the Omega 450 system and or the Enduraspark system ( ignition or charging ) ? I'm looking for any feedback, and also to make sure they are compatible ( one won't F with the other ) I'm REALLY trying to get this thing done by spring unsure.gif Enough so I am going to drop about a grand taking a one on one metal shaping class with a guru and make my seat. This is one of those guys that can make something like my seat from aluminum and it can be polished when done it is so smooth. Definitely will be trying my abilities on this one. I have made the thing 3 times now and just can't get it to where I want it sad.gif

Omega charging :

http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm

Enduraspark ignition :

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/Articles.asp?ID=146

Enduraspark charging :

http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product_p/edl450-altkit.htm
Dr Evil
I have an electronic system that uses the origianl coils still, on my bike. Why do you want to throw money at your ignition? Problem?
HAM Inc
These guys have been customers of mine for years and are good, honest guys who really know these bikes.

http://www.boxerworks-service.com/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.