Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bilstein front strut install?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
Has there been a thread on installing Bilstein cartridges into the front end WITHOUT taking the entire strut apart? I have original Boge's coming out.

Rear's I am not worried about. They seem straightforward, right?

Thanks!

John
jt914-6
Remove front wheels and put front end on jackstands. It will feel natural to the car. Remove the strut nut inside the trunk. Loosen the large "nut" on top of the strut inside the wheelwell that holds the shock insert in the strut. Press the shock stem down through the body and swing the top of the strut toward the outside of the fender. Watch the flex brake line and don't put it in a bind or stretch it. You may need to turn the steering wheel to get a better angle. Remove the large strut nut and shock insert out through the outside of the fender opening. Put new shock and large nut in place. The Bilstein insert should come with a new large nut and a special tool to tighten it. Tighten the large nut. You MAY want to put some BLUE thread lock on it. Compress the shock enough to get it back through the fenderwell and guide it through the body back into place. Always keep your eye on the flex hose!!!!! Don't stretch or put it in a bind. Replace hardware previously removed at first and tighten the top shock nut inside the trunk. Do not loosen the three 8mm hex bolts inside the trunk. Replace wheels and you're done. This is not a hard job, but watch that flex line!!!!!
Did I say be careful with the flex hose???? smash.gif
avidfanjpl
That was what I was looking for!

And I know about the flex line, but I will be prepared to have a bud watch it while 2 others of us flip things around.

BUENO!

Thanks!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.