Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Taco Plate / Oil Temp Sender Seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
I get a drip or 2 from the taco plate after I run the car and it sits overnight. I was thinking of addressing this during my next oil change.

Right now my leak is VERY minor and I definitely don't want to make it worse. I've done some reading via the search tool and it seems like there is a specific combination of gaskets / crush washers and a specific procedure (where to use sealant, etc) that will make this thing seal up properly.

So: does anyone have a list of gaskets / washers to use, and a proven procedure for resealing? Do PP or AA have a gasket kit?

Thanks!
Rich
Cupomeat
Is it true that the taco plate seals better if you use re fried beans for sealant?

lol-2.gif

Seriously, I have this problem as well and would love any advice. popcorn[1].gif
majkos
popcorn[1].gif beer3.gif
BurpP! "Me too"
McMark
Start by cleaning all the parts really well. Then clean the parts again.

There is a red o-ring that goes between the plate and the case. I use Permatex 565 on this. I also use 565 on the threads of the temp sensor. People will complain that the threads must contact cleanly because they are an electrical path, but I've never had a problem using this sealant.

There is a paper gasket that goes between the plate and the cover piece. I don't use sealant on this. Install your wire before you install the cover to make your life easier. The wire can be installed later, but doing it now is much easier. Especially if your cover has the rubber grommet it should.

There are small copper crush rings that go underneath the bolts. No other washers. The rings are not washers, they're basically, little round tubes that are hollow inside, so they crush really well.

The bolts don't need to be really tight.

This thread has some info in it.
Cevan
I did a write up here on my oil temp sender install.

IIRC, I used some thread sealant on the threads of the sender and some gasket sealer on either side of the paper gasket. Make sure to use new copper crush washers on the small bolts. Check the torque valve but it's real low (~4 ft/lbs).

Pelican Parts has the o-ring, gasket and crush washers here.
rwilner

Thanks Mark / Chris.

I bought the red o-ring, sensor seal, 4x crush washers (2 spares) and the paper gasket. I'll get some thread sealant @ FLAPS next time i'm there.

Oil change is still a month or 2 off but i'll let you know how I make out.

One more question regarding cleaning -- do you recommend mechanical cleaning with a wire brush and simple green, or using solvents / dishwasher / something more aggressive?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.