Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil sender unit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmc3352
I am in the process of refreshing the engine in my new 74 tener 2.0. My problem is that when I tried to instal the new oil sending unit I ran into a problem. The new one i ordered from Pelican (says VDO) has larger threads than the existing unit (says MRO). I tried to reinstall the old one and the threads litterally came out of the case !!!! Now I cant install either unit. HELP!!!
MXMARK
Be carefull some of the shavings may have fallen into the case. I was worried about stripping the case. So I made My own relocation kit. I Think I have a picture.

The fitting seemed to screw into the case a little bit more. The fitting is in the vdo catolog. You just have to cap the side port. It looks like a L with extra 10x1mm threads comming out to go in the case. Sorry picture did not work. I will try tomorrow. I hope this helps. Mark
MXMARK
Maybe you can use one of these vdo relocation kits.

This kit is supposed to be 10X1mm thread pitch, but it is really 1/8npt. 10X1 is 25.4 threads per inch and 1/8npt is 27 treads per inch.
Maybe this kit will grab the cases or you can tap the case for 1/8-27 to accept this kit. The best would be to weld-up , drill and retap cases, But you would have to split the case . clean and reassemble. Sorry Mark
MXMARK
Treads are not the same. Sorry bad picture
MXMARK
Or maybe this piece would work.
MXMARK
I was not happy with the threads on the VDO kit so I made my own kit. The VDO kit has a larger taper , it might screw into your cases and hold. I hope this helps. Mark
Bleyseng
I installed one of those and it leaked at the connection joint, pos. I switched to a SS braided line. just like that one.
Geoff
MXMARK
Geoff, I still have the kit all together, I made my own bracket so the kit woud be complete. I think the treads on this kit might grab the case. I know that this is the wrong way but it sounds like he need help. I don't like the idea of the metal shavings in the bearings. Were you as burned up as I was when the kit was not right. I did not want to kill my cases. 1/8-27 npt does not = 10x1mm mpt. But it might work for him. I am hope I am not wrong. Mark
Bleyseng
I was burned that the rubber line leaked bigtime. pos.
I used a SS line like you have off a Rx7 brake kit as it uses a metric thread also.

Geoff
Aaron Cox
PO of my car "modified" sheetmetal to fit the sender in the hole.
jmc3352
Ok I figured out that what I was trying to replace is the Oil Pressure sending unit......... Now the real question ....I think there was a "Helicore" additional threads in this hole that came out when I tried to tighten it up. Now I have NO threads in this hole to use!!! Can I tap this hole without openning the case? The moter runs fine and I would hate to get metal shavings in the moter but dont really want to crack the case open either...... Need advice !!!!!
MXMARK
Maybe you could put a timesert into the existing threads? It is alot stonger then a Helicoil. Wurth makes some timeserts. Mark
mightyohm
Wait, so what size are the threads on the case?
Slowpoke
This isn't a crisis. wink.gif Take the sheet metal off around the oil hole. Stuff a rag in the distributer hole. Use wheel bearing or chassis grease and push it into the stripped oil hole. You want it to go down into the hole below the stripped area. Go to NAPA and get almost any size brass adapter, tap and drill. Drill and tap the case but use grease instead of oil on the tap. When the hole is drilled and case tapped. Clean out the chips as best you can with a Q-tip. Remove the spark plugs and spin the engine over with the starter. This will blow the grease out of the oil hole, from the oil pressure. Oh yeah use a rag to catch all the oil, just a few seconds will do it. Put your adapter in and put the sheet metal etc back on. Your done. smile.gif

Peter
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.