Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Transmission question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bartlett 914
I am going through a transmission. First gear is supposed to have only 1 brake band. All other gears have 2 brake bands. Upon inspection, I find that my first gear is setup the same as all the other gears. It has 2 brake bands and the same stop blocks as the other gears. I really don't understand why Porsche did first different except to save money on 1 brake band. I do understand that synchronization is on the down shift and two may not be needed. Question is, should this matter? Is there some advantage to the way first was setup by Porsche?
Richard Casto
Actually this might be a good discussion. I am at work right now, so I may jump into this later this evening. If I remember correctly in the factory manual they talk a little but about how the different setup for 1st works.
aircooledtechguy
It sounds like the last person to rebuild that box didn't want to spend the $$$ on a 1st gear syncro, so they exchanged it with a 2nd-5th syncro. By doing so, you must also use the 2nd-5th brake bands and blocks. This is what I did when I rebuilt mine at Dr. Evils clinic last year. It's really common and works as normal.
damnfiknow
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 22 2010, 03:35 PM) *

I am going through a transmission. First gear is supposed to have only 1 brake band. All other gears have 2 brake bands. Upon inspection, I find that my first gear is setup the same as all the other gears. It has 2 brake bands and the same stop blocks as the other gears. I really don't understand why Porsche did first different except to save money on 1 brake band. I do understand that synchronization is on the down shift and two may not be needed. Question is, should this matter? Is there some advantage to the way first was setup by Porsche?

If you are going through your transmission, STOP, until you get Dr Evil's video. It tells all and does all. I have just finished mine with no previous transmission work (engines, not trannys before) and honest to pete, you can do it with the video.. Even understand how the damn thing works.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Sep 22 2010, 05:18 PM) *

It sounds like the last person to rebuild that box didn't want to spend the $$$ on a 1st gear syncro, so they exchanged it with a 2nd-5th syncro. By doing so, you must also use the 2nd-5th brake bands and blocks. This is what I did when I rebuilt mine at Dr. Evils clinic last year. It's really common and works as normal.

That is it. The P.O must have changed the dog teeth. The Dog teeth are different for 1st gear. There are 2 notches instead of 1. Because the lower notch is missing, the stop blocks won't fit. I put it together as it was. I am sure all is fine.
Richard Casto
Ok, first, in my opinion what you have have is fine. It is what Mike taught me and I believe it is a valid solution to the more expensive 1st gear syncro hub.

Regarding "why" Porsche did it that way. I am looking at the factory manual and I don't want to retype everything, but in short, it appears they wanted the following action to be a bit smoother...

With car at a standstill, transmission in neutral and clutch engaged (input shaft is spinning at idle speed)

1. Engage clutch
2. Engage 1st gear.

The downshift from 2nd works like any other gear. It is the upshift from neutral they tried to optimize. It sounds like they felt that the different design allows for a smoother engagement of 1st gear. They talk about how the speed differential between the gear and the input shaft is low at idle when compared to what the other gears experience on an up/downshift. So I think they felt they didn't need the brake band to push against the inside of the syncro ring to cause more friction (which you would feel as you shift into first). I am curious if anyone is able to feel the difference.

Richard
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 22 2010, 07:52 PM) *

Ok, first, in my opinion what you have have is fine. It is what Mike taught me and I believe it is a valid solution to the more expensive 1st gear syncro hub.

Regarding "why" Porsche did it that way. I am looking at the factory manual and I don't want to retype everything, but in short, it appears they wanted the following action to be a bit smoother...

With car at a standstill, transmission in neutral and clutch engaged (input shaft is spinning at idle speed)

1. Engage clutch
2. Engage 1st gear.

The downshift from 2nd works like any other gear. It is the upshift from neutral they tried to optimize. It sounds like they felt that the different design allows for a smoother engagement of 1st gear. They talk about how the speed differential between the gear and the input shaft is low at idle when compared to what the other gears experience on an up/downshift. So I think they felt they didn't need the brake band to push against the inside of the syncro ring to cause more friction (which you would feel as you shift into first). I am curious if anyone is able to feel the difference.

Richard

Interesting Richard.

I did have a problem with the transmission going into first from a stop. I always needed to go into first before stopping. This meant I had to hold in the clutch during stop lights. At a standstill, sometimes no problem. Other times no go. I was in the opinion I had the operating sleeve adjusted to close to reverse gear and I was running out of room with the shifter. Now I am wondering if the brake band issue was contributing to the fault. I do not plan to have this transmission in a car anytime soon. It will be awhile before I can test this an be sure.
rick 918-S
Hey Mark, You should get one of DR. Evils DVD's. He covered that topic in his commentary
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 22 2010, 10:10 PM) *

Hey Mark, You should get one of DR. Evils DVD's. He covered that topic in his commentary

I have one. I must have fallen asleep during that portion.
charliew
I have had worn trannys that at a stop you could first go into second then put it in first easily but they were not the 914, you might go into rev then 1st though at a stop.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.