Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Cleaning an electrical switch?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
I have an old Volvo that I need to replace the turn signal switch on the column. I have the new (used) switch, but I want to make sure it's clean before I install it. It has some gunk in there. Here it is:

Click to view attachment

What's the best way to clean this up to ensure good connections and operation? I had heard of people using CLR on bits like this, but I assume that it will take a while to dry if I do that? Others have said WD40, but I am not sure about that. Any sort of contact cleaner or something I should be looking for?

Let me know.

TIA

KaptKaos
Bueller, Bueller, anyone, anyone?
Mike Bellis
Radio shack or Fry's.

Buy contact cleaner and a tooth brush. after cleaning use TV contact lube.
KaptKaos
Thanks Mike.

So nothing that immerses the part, right?
hot_shoe914
I will have to check to see what kind it was, but contact cleaner on my relay board and all plug ins, relays and pins just fixed my '73 2.0.
cary
CRC ......... in the black, red & white spray can. I get mine at NAPA.
Can't quite tell in the picture. But use a pencil eraser on any of the copper contacts you can get at without harming the switch.
underthetire
Just make sure if it has plastic in it to get plastic safe contact cleaner. OHHH I have stories about that... Also, soaking in Coca Cola works well to biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.