Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 sudden knocking sound
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sc42766
Hi , i was driving my 73 914 with a 1.7l engine and suddenly a knocking sound appeard and the sound will change depending on the revolution of the engine, i drove back the car to my home and it does not seem to have change nothing to the performance of the car but the sound sounds like the engine knocks .

any ideal what it could be ?

regards
VaccaRabite
Heck of a first post. Sorry to hear it. sad.gif

How is / was / your oil level? Drain what is in there into a clean oil pan and see if you see shiney flecks in your oil. If so, its time to rebuild your engine, as those flecks are bearing material. Don't drive on it any more, you do not want it to seize on you.

welcome.png and good luck!
Zach
Cupomeat
welcome.png
Ok, a couple of questions, although I think that Zach may have hit on the final answer without them;
1. Does the knock (deep knock) happen more when the engine decelerates? (likely rod bearing)

2. Is the knock a fast knock or about 1/4 the frequency of the engine rotation? If it is a fast knock it is likely crank related, if slow, valve train.

3. I agree to pull the oil AND the screen, then cut open the filter to see what particles you are seeing. If you don't see much, take a good look at the rocker arms and see if any have had a significant change in tolerance.

4. Did you check the exhaust system lately? Sometimes people can confuse an exhaust leak with a knock, sorry if this is insulting, just trying to cover all bases.

This is a great place to hang out and get help with your 914. No matter what it is, it is likely someone here has done it or had it before...

Good luck and if you can grab some video or sound recording of the engine, that might help too, but be prepared to tear it apart sawzall-smiley.gif to find out what the real issue is.
sc42766
tanks guy's for helping me , here is a link to a video i just took to help you understand the problem .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY-X4vhEFOk

p.s. it seems the noise was louder when the engine was hotter.
Bartlett 914
When was the last time you adjusted the valves. Start there. This is KISS principle. Keep it simple first.
sc42766
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 23 2010, 12:54 PM) *

When was the last time you adjusted the valves. Start there. This is KISS principle. Keep it simple first.

i dont know when it was done for the last time, i bought the car 2 month's ago.
Drums66
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 23 2010, 01:54 PM) *

Echo bye1.gif
Mark Henry
That sucks.
If you don't have the coin for a full rebuild www.mikes914s.com/ might have a line on a 1.7

He's in Coborne ON about 2-1/2 hours east of Montreal just off the 401.

sc42766
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2010, 01:54 PM) *

That sucks.
If you don't have the coin for a full rebuild www.mikes914s.com/ might have a line on a 1.7

He's in Coborne ON about 2-1/2 hours east of Montreal just off the 401.

what would a full rebuilt go for ?
Mark Henry
Was it suddenly a loud boom-boom-boom-boom?
Check for a spark plug that popped out.

Lighter banging, dropped seat, do a valve adjustment look and for an overly tight or loose valve.

A rod bearing will get louder. Not as loud coasting, but accelerating and gearing down quite loud.
By the time you got home was it louder than when it started?

Full rebuild is not cheap, I used to do them but a bunch of parts are more expensive now and good head cores are getting almost none existent.
sc42766
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2010, 07:35 PM) *

Was it suddenly a loud boom-boom-boom-boom?
Check for a spark plug that popped out.

Lighter banging, dropped seat, do a valve adjustment look and for an overly tight or loose valve.

A rod bearing will get louder. Not as loud coasting, but accelerating and gearing down quite loud.
By the time you got home was it louder than when it started?

Full rebuild is not cheap, I used to do them but a bunch of parts are more expensive now and good head cores are getting almost none existent.

by the time i came home it was lighter. today added oil 9 there was still oil in the engine ) and i started the engine and the same sound as when i took the video . but after reving the car a little all of a sudden a louder sound appeard like yesterday like somthing came loose . whit a bigger knock .
johannes
Stop running that engine man ! ...

brant
I hope its a valve seat or loose spark plug...
but it sounds like my motor when I broke the crank in 2...

your going to need to check the valves, run a compression check, check the oil, and check the fan (that nothing got in there)...

then likely pull the motor and start disassembly until you find the culprit.
pull the heads from the motor first... but I'm guessing broken crank and that means a full disassebly and new motor.

you may want to just find/buy a new motor after the pulling a head step, and then disasseble at a more causual pace
Rod
You say there's no affect to performance?..... Sounds like the exhaust is blowing at the head..
VaccaRabite
Pleas stop running the engine until you have an idea of what is broke.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.