Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Little Trunk Hinge Repair Guidance Please?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Just opened up Pickle's trunk to hear a sickening pop...like a piece of metal being snapped off. I assumed I'd encountered the dreaded weld breaking syndrom, but it seems not. The bolt on the left side must have been very loose, and shot off, damaging the last few threads on the bolt, and I assume (can't see in there that well, the last few threads in the "nut". So, I'm thinking I'll order the new bolt and try chasing the threads in the nut with a nice M8 1.25 from Home Depot? If that fails, Ill need to get a thread cutter and renew it. Opinions?
Drums66
Ken...I think your rational is on....I was'nt so fortunate
when that happened to me(the weld)...but. if it has not been
done while you're there change the roller's to metal !'s......
much better longevity! idea.gif bye1.gif
Drums66
Ken...I think your rational is on....I was'nt so fortunate
when that happened to me(the weld)...but. if it has not been
done while you're there change the roller's to metal !'s......
much better longevity! idea.gif bye1.gif
Drums66
sorry for the carbon copy laugh.gif
kenshapiro2002
Thanks! Thanks !

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 23 2010, 01:59 PM) *

sorry for the carbon copy laugh.gif

Tom_T
Ken, just get a new nut & bolt - make that 2 sets for L & R & the 2 rollers - to make the shipping worthwhile, then shit-can the 40 year old stripped nut & bolt & be ready for the other side to break!

You may even want to pop for the replacement hinge brackets for L & R now, since the parts aren't that much, & they will go eventually (mine went about every 5-6 years & +/-50k miles when my DD).

No reason to go tightwad on this one, cause the old weakened parts will cause more stress on the hinges. My Great-grannie always said stuff like that was: "Pennywise & pound foolish!" & she was no big spender, being born in 1878 & through many Depressions! smile.gif
kenshapiro2002
There's a nut? I thought it was a threaded plate. I need to go take another look.

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 23 2010, 03:45 PM) *

Ken, just get a new nut & bolt - make that 2 sets for L & R & the 2 rollers - to make the shipping worthwhile, then shit-can the 40 year old stripped nut & bolt & be ready for the other side to break!

You may even want to pop for the replacement hinge brackets for L & R now, since the parts aren't that much, & they will go eventually (mine went about every 5-6 years & +/-50k miles when my DD).

No reason to go tightwad on this one, cause the old weakened parts will cause more stress on the hinges. My Great-grannie always said stuff like that was: "Pennywise & pound foolish!" & she was no big spender, being born in 1878 & through many Depressions! smile.gif

kenshapiro2002
Yeah...there's no nut...it threads right into the hinge.
kenshapiro2002
Boy was I lucky! The Home Depot bolt threaded right into the hinge so there was no damage to the threads in there at all. Trunk closes perfectly. Just gotta replace that shouldered bolt and I'm good to go. Was pretty sure this was going to be a CF.
IronHillRestorations
I've got to do some scrounging in the shop tomorrow. I'll see what I've got. I drill down the center and then make a groove in the bearing surface of the shoulder bolt, so you can put a grease fitting on it.
kenshapiro2002
Thanks. Seems the later cars (mine is a 1970) have a different hinge. Mine is the bolt that when the lid is closed is at the top of the hinge and attaches the racket off of the lid into the hinge...the hinge rotates over that shoulder on the bolt.

QUOTE(9146986 @ Sep 23 2010, 09:23 PM) *

I've got to do some scrounging in the shop tomorrow. I'll see what I've got. I drill down the center and then make a groove in the bearing surface of the shoulder bolt, so you can put a grease fitting on it.

kenshapiro2002
Click to view attachment

This is NOT my car (thank god). Just a shot I found online to show which bolt I need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.