Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Power left on the table
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Longest drive on the new engine to date, 30 miles each way! Gave my dad a ride in the car, and he thinks it should have much better pick up. Its a 2056, dual 40s, 494 cam. It pulls, but its not exactly a kick in the back. It really is lacking in low end grunt. Would ditching my 009 and popping for a Mallory make a big difference? I think i have the carbs pretty close to being dialed in.
yeahmag
From experience I'd say yes. The 009 is way to lazy. Getting it "all in" faster will help the low end. What compression are you running? What exhaust? Heads?
jeffdon
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 23 2010, 11:47 AM) *

From experience I'd say yes. The 009 is way to lazy. Getting it "all in" faster will help the low end. What compression are you running? What exhaust? Heads?

8.5:1. Euro flat top pistons. Heads are basically stock. Bursch style exhause with stainless heat exchangers.

So the mallory really effects things that dramatically?
VaccaRabite
With my 2056 with a mallory and 9.2:1 compression 2nd and 3rd will push me back in the seat.

HOWEVER
It is very weight dependent. With a second person in the car, it does not have the grunt to push me back in the seat in third, and you can feel it straining in second. that extra 200 pounds... I can really feel it in the car. It is not nearly as nimble.

Zach
jeffdon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 23 2010, 12:03 PM) *

With my 2056 with a mallory and 9.2:1 compression 2nd and 3rd will push me back in the seat.

HOWEVER
It is very weight dependent. With a second person in the car, it does not have the grunt to push me back in the seat in third, and you can feel it straining in second. that extra 200 pounds... I can really feel it in the car. It is not nearly as nimble.

Zach

Hey Zach - Did you originally run another dizzy, and then go to the mallory? If so, what sort of change did you see? 300 bucks is a good chunk of change to just try it for giggles.
VaccaRabite
Nope, I always had the mallory.

Zach
jeffdon
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 23 2010, 12:23 PM) *

Nope, I always had the mallory.

Zach

Mechanical or Vacuum advance? My carbs do not have vac ports, and I really do not want to drill them.
jim_hoyland
I only have a 1.8 FI L-Jet but found the Mallory unilite a significant improvement in engine performance. Engine runs smoother through full rpm range, runs cooler, and doesn't ping anymore on hills. I got mine from Tangerine Racing--a member Vendor and excellent support person.
jeffdon
Alright, taking the plunge and placing my order!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(jeffdon @ Sep 23 2010, 12:51 PM) *

Alright, taking the plunge and placing my order!

I would recommend buying a back-up module now. It's not that they fail; it just that if you should short it out, it's dead. I learned real quick to be careful with any distributer related wiring. I also installed the voltage spike protector, I think it helps.
yeahmag
Yeah... Get the voltage spike protector thing. It's worth the extra protection.
yeahmag
Duplicate post
Mark Henry
IIRC the new mallorys have had issues, best to spend the extra and get one from Tangerine as he inspects them for problems. You need the grey/grey springs as well. You want the mechanical advance

On my bus I use a little earlier one, that had dual points, that I converted to a pertronix.
jeffdon
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Sep 23 2010, 03:16 PM) *

IIRC the new mallorys have had issues, best to spend the extra and get one from Tangerine as he inspects them for problems. You need the grey/grey springs as well. You want the mechanical advance

On my bus I use a little earlier one, that had dual points, that I converted to a pertronix.

I have the pointless, mech. advance with the grey/grey springs on the way. I figure I can just carry my 009 with pertronix as a back up if it ever dies on me.
Cevan
I'm using an L-Jet dizzy with the vacuum advance disabled. I get about 21-22 degrees of advance. What could I expect switching to a Mallory?
yeahmag
You want to actually *decrease* the amount of advance so it's "all in" sooner. With the Mallory Jake recommends 16 degrees total advance:

12 initial
28 full
grey-grey springs

-Aaron
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Cevan @ Sep 23 2010, 04:36 PM) *

I'm using an L-Jet dizzy with the vacuum advance disabled. I get about 21-22 degrees of advance. What could I expect switching to a Mallory?

Big Smile smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.