Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cable Shifter idea
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
monkeyboy
All of my bushings need replacement, and since I will have the whole thing apart anyway I was wondering if I could improve it any.

I thought about replacing the whole thing shifter back with a new shifter, rod, and bushings, but then I saw this...

Has anyone tried it?

Any ideas?

http://www.cableshift.com/914/914%20page.html
race914
I'm interested in actual user comments too...
Socalandy
agree.gif this is one way to motivate me to put my side shift trans in the car
monkeyboy
I saw them last weekend at an offroad show and have been wondering about it ever since. I am more concerned that the box on the shifter side may be too hard to cover up. If I can get around that, I may be in for trying it.
Krieger
That pos trans that they have it mocked up on does not tell me they tested it. Looks more like its been adapted. $590 step right up and be the first. Maybe its good.
Mike Bellis
Many people have built their own. Search on this site. Shifters from MR2's, Fiero's and others can be used. The cables themselves are easy to come by. The hard part is engineering the tranny side of things. There are some really good ones from members of this site.

You may also want to consider the J West shifter and rod set up. Very nice shifting from a normally sloppy Porsche system.
precisionchassis
I've had direct experience with the Brandwood cable shifter and it's a descent system as long as you don't try to make too tight a bend with the cables (which is true with most cable shifter set-ups). You also have to make sure all the pivot points stay well lubricated.

FWIW, the green Patrick Motorsports supercharged V8 914 has one. Maybe you can ask Alex how he likes it... if he even visits this forum. unsure.gif
Elliot Cannon
My car has a 915 transmission and a cable shifter set-up. It also has an old Renegade shifter that is not the best. I understand they have an improved shifter that is about $800 or so. When I first got the car the shift gates were somewhat aaahh... "Vague". After driving it a few months I got used to it and it works fine. If I had a choice though between a cable shifter and a solid mechanical shifter I would choose the mechanical linkage. I think the best way to improve your car would be to replace all the bushings, do a good adjustment (which isn't hard) and you will be happy with it. My other car has the 901 with fairly new bushings and a T H O M A S re-built tranny and it shifts like "butta".
Cheers, Elliot
Dr Evil
If your gear box is tired, no amount of external engineering manic can fix that. Start with a rebuild and good bushings and you may be so pleased that you will abandon all external tricks. I have a renn shifter and love it with my rebuilt boxes.
hot_shoe914
I have the BEST shifting 914 EVER. I challenge you to find one that shifts better that has a stock shifter and tranny. Find a better shifting teener than mine and I will buy you a steak and a beer. beerchug.gif

Shoe
budman5201
I have Brandwoods cableshift.com shifter also. Stock 901, third engine conversion. Has worked great in every one. Only problem its Very exact once adjusted. The first time I had it all adjusted I could literally feel my Bad Dogteeth and Every bad syncro in my trans. Now with all new syncros and A few new dogteeth it shifts perfect. I would reengineer some of the components in the shifter itself, but lack of time prevents that.

My improvement to cableshifts shifter would include an adaptation of the stock spring reverse/first lockout instead of the rod and ramp engineered into cableshifts design thats built into the shift lever itself.

Once adjusted perfectly you can SLAM into every gear pretty damn fast. Love it!

jim_hoyland
Any updates on your project; last time I saw your car you had installed the cable shifter ?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.