Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clow
Hey 914World. I am rebuilding a 73 1.7 engine and started taking the motor apart. I have come to the flywheel and pressure plate (I think). I have the 6 bolts out from the plate to the flywheel. Now what? It looks like I should have a spline tool of some sort to remove it? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Clow

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
KaptKaos
Looks a little rusted on. Assuming you have all of the bolts off, it should come off easily. Try some gentle taps.

You'll need one of these to take off the flywheel:

IPB Image
dlee6204
The pressure plate should just pull away from the flywheel. You might need to use a rubber mallet or a pry bar to separate the two.

A spline tool is only used when installing the clutch disc and pressure plate.
bandjoey
Here's a makeshift flywheel lock that works. They're not expensive and you might even get one from a local member.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace2.htm
clow
Thanks for the replies! Sorry, I am 17 and new to this. Its my first full car project and didn't want to start prying. Now this has to come off to split the case right. There is a nut behind the flywheel I believe?

Thanks,
Clow
clow
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Sep 23 2010, 04:57 PM) *

Here's a makeshift flywheel lock that works. They're not expensive and you might even get one from a local member.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ch_replace2.htm

Oh exactly what I was looking for! I wasn't thinking of searching clutch, probably could have came across that easier.

Thanks!

Clow
underthetire
QUOTE(dlee6204 @ Sep 23 2010, 05:51 PM) *

The pressure plate should just pull away from the flywheel. You might need to use a rubber mallet or a pry bar to separate the two.

A spline tool is only used when installing the clutch disc and pressure plate.

agree.gif
Probably just the dowel pins holding it on. Walk around it with a small pry bar, it'll pop right off.
type47
Don't stand with your toes below the pressure plate, it should just "fall" off with all the bolts removed! The flywheel is held on by 5 bolts; the single nut I think you are referring to is a gland nut for typeI (air cooled VW motors) motor.
tradisrad
an impact gun will work well for removing the fly wheel
VaccaRabite
Don't mess with sissy pry bars and feminine rubber mallets.

What you need is det-cord.
IPB Image

One or two wraps of this and your flywheel issue will be handled.

In a perfect world, all life's little issues can be maintained through the proper application of explosives. All of them.

Zach
JFJ914
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 24 2010, 09:22 AM) *

Don't stand with your toes below the pressure plate, it should just "fall" off with all the bolts removed! The flywheel is held on by 5 bolts; the single nut I think you are referring to is a gland nut for typeI (air cooled VW motors) motor.

It will only fall on your toes after you get it clear of the locating dowel pins between the mounting bolts. Get a wire brush, some PB Blaster and clean it up, then try the gentle prying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.