Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door Speakers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RiqueMar
Now that I'm finished with my windows, I plan on putting in door speakers?

What has everyone used? Any likes? Dislikes?

Pictures welcome!
Tom_T
Don't do it Rique! mad.gif
... you'll be sorry you f-ed up a good set of door panels. sad.gif

Member vendor on here - 914a&p.com sells speaker housings for modern speakers that you can swap out, as does AA & a few others.

If you just cannot resist, then at least buy someone else's f-ed door panels with holes already in them for your door speakers!

Besides Bud, you can't hear squat over a high revving T-4 or 6 engine anyway, especially with the top off!

From what Slits was telling me last Sat. about your Red Rocks run, you need to concentrate on the road anyway! laugh.gif
Mike Bellis
I run door speakers. My roll cage is in the way so I can't run speaker pods. My door panels are a custom light weight GT style. 6.5" Infinity's with a Kenwood amp. On my 73 doors, you can locate the speakers so that no metal needs to be cut.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 23 2010, 07:58 PM) *

Don't do it Rique! mad.gif
... you'll be sorry you f-ed up a good set of door panels. sad.gif

Member vendor on here - 914a&p.com sells speaker housings for modern speakers that you can swap out, as does AA & a few others.

If you just cannot resist, then at least buy someone else's f-ed door panels with holes already in them for your door speakers!

Besides Bud, you can't hear squat over a high revving T-4 or 6 engine anyway, especially with the top off!

From what Slits was telling me last Sat. about your Red Rocks run, you need to concentrate on the road anyway! laugh.gif

For one, I'm still waiting on a carpet kit that I ordered 6 weeks ago dry.gif

And I cannot resist. I heard it in the 3.6 with no problems, and that doesnt have door speakers. Besides, I have those beautiful 911 style door panels that are just begging for them!

Slits was probably waaaay behind me when I got that speeding ticket, I don't know how he could ever have an idea of what I drive like biggrin.gif
Socalandy
Tom's right, you need to order these speaker grills man. screwy.gif
Socalandy
aktion035.gif
iamchappy
I went with something that had grills and still looked some what period correct. Alpine's.
RiqueMar
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 24 2010, 05:45 AM) *

I went with something that had grills and still looked some what period correct. Alpine's.

Chappy,

That is essentially the look I'm going for, clean/understated.
JmuRiz
You need the Infinity Reference speakers from ~5 years ago, I have some I have yet to install:

5 1/4" 5002i
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Reference-500...=item4151fd93e4

6.5" 6002i
IPB Image

Naturally they are real hard to find these days, I bought them when I saw the market going for those terrible new grills.
OR you can install speakers and buy normal looking grills separate.
realred914
negitives for doo rspeakers are ;

Little space in teh door for them.

They get kicked all the time when entering leaving the car, then teh face plate falls off either cuase it has been kicked too many times or the vibration of the car loosens them up (yes stiff suspenion 914 do vibrate alot, it aint no rolls royce)

rain and wash water can get at them easy via the window opening.

if you havce even half way decent door vinyl, it is a real shame to cut it up. all the prior onwers on my 914 had cut speakers into the doors, I dont like it, wish I had some decent panels or material to recover them with out paying too much.

if you must, make sure they are in a water proof inner conatinaer in back,
i recommend using aftermarket vinyl to be cut if you have stock door panels in nice shape, dont cut them they will be more rare as time goes by, one day for authitisity reasons you may regret cutting up good original panels.

you will still have to deal with them getting kicked, so make sure the covers are rugged and well attached.

I would consider maybe shoving some small speakers undere the dash or in a speaker box under there

the engine is music to my ears!
Mark Henry
Pat Garvey's teen is going up in value again. smile.gif
johannes
In my car I used ... to remove them and was lucky enough the PO gave me non modified panels he had.

I second Tom, Buy the enclosures by AP ... http://www.914ap.com/products.php

windforfun
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Sep 24 2010, 05:45 AM) *

Very nice set-up. First class all the way. Right on.

first.gif first.gif first.gif
Rod
Mine are maybe a bit ott laugh.gif

So I had heavily modified morph speaker builds in and loved thise for a while, but wanted to try something different, so I wanted to put some speakers in the doors and tweeters on the A pillars and horns under the dash - not an easy task.

I didn't want the doors to rattle at all, so I deadened the hell out of them and then cnc'd up a 4mm steel panel which is bolted to the door and the speaker is bolted to that..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then the original door panels fit over the top so you wouldn't know there's anything in there...

IPB Image

RiqueMar
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 24 2010, 01:48 PM) *

Mine are maybe a bit ott laugh.gif

So I had heavily modified morph speaker builds in and loved thise for a while, but wanted to try something different, so I wanted to put some speakers in the doors and tweeters on the A pillars and horns under the dash - not an easy task.

I didn't want the doors to rattle at all, so I deadened the hell out of them and then cnc'd up a 4mm steel panel which is bolted to the door and the speaker is bolted to that..

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Then the original door panels fit over the top so you wouldn't know there's anything in there...

IPB Image

Rod, do you by any chance have that CNC file?
Rod
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ Sep 24 2010, 10:49 PM) *

I don't on this computer, but I do on the one in the shop where these were made, I'll zip it and get it to you via email if you like?? I think it's solidworks.. anygood?

Best, Rod.
bmtrnavsky
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 24 2010, 02:53 PM) *

I don't on this computer, but I do on the one in the shop where these were made, I'll zip it and get it to you via email if you like?? I think it's solidworks.. anygood?

Best, Rod.

You should sell these! I want one!
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Rod @ Sep 24 2010, 02:53 PM) *

Best, Rod.

Mhmm, we have a machine shop/center, so I might try this! thanks!
nsr-jamie
What are those things in your front pillars? Are those speakers molded in there? Never seen that before on a 914...nice idea
Nürburg Nomad
I'm in the process of installing proper German/American manufactured speakers in my 914 right now! biggrin.gif

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_components.php?comp_id=65

I would go as far to say that they are the best performing and most factory appearing speakers you can purchase today!
windforfun
You're an artist Rod!!! I love your audio system!!!

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif
RJMII
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Sep 24 2010, 11:09 AM) *

You need the Infinity Reference speakers from ~5 years ago, I have some I have yet to install:

5 1/4" 5002i
http://cgi.ebay.com/Infinity-Reference-500...=item4151fd93e4

6.5" 6002i
IPB Image

Naturally they are real hard to find these days, I bought them when I saw the market going for those terrible new grills.
OR you can install speakers and buy normal looking grills separate.

I have those speakers in a storage box, waiting to go into something. I will probably put them in the kick panels in some modified Morph style enclosures.
JmuRiz
Yep same with mine, other stuff comes up, so I'm listening to the car and not the radio, haha.
Kargeek
Click to view attachment
I cut up factory new old stock door panels- yea! I did the same thing with a metal panel to reinforce the door frame speaker hole and used an acoustical form inner "hat" to seal the speaker from the inner elements. To finish it off- 911 speaker grills. This and the kick panel speakers- I hardly ever use the stereo.
Tman914
yes very nice set up Karqeek
But does any any one know who makes the 6x9 grill where the OEM speaker mounts too i saw it years ago but cant find it
IronHillRestorations
I've put (don't laugh) the Radio Shack Minimus 7 die cast box speakers in a few 914's. They will fit with the optional brackets, but you've got to used cap screws instead of the thumb screws.

They are a tuned enclosure so you get decent frequency response, you can aim them so you get decent stereo imaging, and they can be removed, and the stock grills replaced without cutting anything.

They aren't audiophile quality transducers, but they are cheap, durable, and blend in the 914 interior fairly well.
JmuRiz
Are those like the Optimus speakers that Rich Johnson's car has in them...if so, they really do blend in well with the interior.
Tman914
show me a pic guys let see what they look like
Rod
QUOTE(windforfun @ Sep 28 2010, 01:04 AM) *

You're an artist Rod!!! I love your audio system!!!

drooley.gif drooley.gif drooley.gif

Thanks dude!! aktion035.gif
IronHillRestorations
I'm pretty sure that's what Rich has in his car. They changed the name from Minimus to Optimus in the 90's. I looked at the Radio Shack site, and I think they must be discontinued. They are/were great little speakers, and have found from a google search that they have quite a following among the audiophile websites. There's even a few people that are selling woofer, tweeter, and crossover upgrades. Glad I kept an extra set!
Drums66
...I never cut hole's in my door panel's poke.gif blink.gif
(higher watt speaker's) confused24.gif ..............
nsr-jamie
I ran Kenwood 6x 9 inch speakers years ago in the original kick panel location with out the kick panels, they actually fit pretty good and I held them in with two screws and they worked well for many years until the car was broken into and the sound system and many other parts were stolen...the only problem I had is I couldn't use the original kick panels and I often hit them while getting in and out the car but the sound was good enough for me....I had a built in 100W amp in the deck and it was more than enough for me but nothing compared to what others have done to their cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.