Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Road America here we come.............
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GaroldShaffer
Getting ready to head up to Road America today for the weekend. Going to watch the SCCA Run Offs. Anyone else heading there? This will be our 2nd year in a row going. I'm like a a kid at Christmas, I can't wait to get going. piratenanner.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Zimms
I can't make it, but I really want to go to the runoffs some time. Road America rocks! Are you camping? Have fun!
GaroldShaffer
Next year is suppose to be the last year for Run offs at RA.

Camping??? lol-2.gif Um, sure...... if you call the Holiday Inn camping biggrin.gif I would have no problem, but Julie doesn't camp.
GeorgeRud
I thought they had a longer contract to stay at RA. I hope that I may be able to get up there for a day, though there are several other things that also have to be done this weekend. I had a great time at last years Runoffs, and I'm sure they'll have some great races this weekend as well that are worth seeing. Have a brat for me if I can't make it.

For anyone that hasn't been lucky enough to have attended a race weekend at Road America, make the trip. It is truly one of the nicest road courses in the country, and has the best racetrack food of any track I've ever been to. Most of the food sellers are local organizations (Lions club, Kiwanees, etc.), and they really treat everyone great. I personally recommend the food stand in the paddock by the start/finish line (staffed by St. John the Baptist church members).

This is midwest hospitality at it's best. BTW, the racing rocks as well.
Zimms
Time to get a camper!

I will have to try to make it next year. I've been there for two ALMS races adn agree with every comment George made. That is about the only track I would buy food at for the entire weekend. Great for photos (not too much cyclone fencing like Mid-OH, and if you can brave the hill, you can get to the inside of the Canadian corner, about 20-30 ft from the track.

Have a great time!
spare time toys
Back in the late 70s we used to go ther all the time. I got picked to take my Vette out for the Corvette Parade Lap and while hot dogging at dads request blew thr rear by turn 2. Its a LOOOONG way around with a broken reae end.
maf914
I went to the Runoffs many times when it was held at Road Atlanta. What a great spectator event and the track is within reach for me. It then moved to Mid-Ohio and I made that trip once. I thought Mid-Ohio was a great track and the event was still top-notch, but the distance was a too much for a long weekend. Then it went to Kansas. Then Road America. Both a little too far for me. I hope in the future it makes its way back to the Southeast, but there are a lot of tracks out there so we'll just have to see where it goes next. I would like to see it in Daytona, where it was held in the early days.
GeorgeRud
Back in the 80s, my wife and I went down to Road Atlanta for the Runoffs (Michael Andretti was running a Formula Ford), and had a great time. There was no chicane on the back staight, so seeing those cars flying down the hill into the last turn was really a sight to behold. Nothing like seeing Paul Newman and Mario watching the races next to you as well! As Road America is local for us, I much prefer it (also, you don't have to wash off all that red clay), but it's a fun event no matter where it's held.

However, Wisconsin can get rather chilly at this time of year, so the weather can be a factor. Last year it did rain and was cloudy, so that could have been a bummer for some. The leaves are changing, so it is about as pretty as can be up in the Kettle Moraine area right now.

I'm waiting for the next Rennsport Reunion. The one at Daytona a few years back was great, and it's absolute heaven for a Porsche race fan.
GaroldShaffer
Just got home. Man that was a blast. Great racing, great food and great fun!!!!!!!

No 914s racing, but did see one in Paddock.

I can't wait for June Sprints 2011 then the Run offs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.