Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My 914 still runs rough until warmed up HELP?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kalva
I've had my 71' teener since July and have done a complete tune up, points, dwell timing, valve addjusted etc. When the car is first started up she runs rough for 5-10 mins then runs fine. If I try to drive before the 5-10 min warm up she stutters and as I depress the gas chokes and goes nowhere slow... Idle is set around 1000 and will search up and down between 900-1300. Ive checked for leaks in all the vac lines, checked fuel injector seals. Read threw 700 tech tips & Haynes books.

If any one has any idea please let me know as I should be able to start the car a go for a drive or is this normal.

Thanks...
rwilner
QUOTE(Kalva @ Sep 24 2010, 03:05 PM) *

I've had my 71' teener since July and have done a complete tune up, points, dwell timing, valve addjusted etc. When the car is first started up she runs rough for 5-10 mins then runs fine. If I try to drive before the 5-10 min warm up she stutters and as I depress the gas chokes and goes nowhere slow... Idle is set around 1000 and will search up and down between 900-1300. Ive checked for leaks in all the vac lines, checked fuel injector seals. Read threw 700 tech tips & Haynes books.

If any one has any idea please let me know as I should be able to start the car a go for a drive or is this normal.

Thanks...

I'm pretty sure you have L-Jet on a 71, but here's PBander's amazing D-jet site. Might at least give you some ideas.
hot_shoe914
QUOTE(Kalva @ Sep 24 2010, 02:05 PM) *

Thanks...

Bring it down to the MUSR11 in October and I am sure one of the many teener techs will solve it for you. poke.gif
swl
71= 1.7L =DJet
LJet was used on the 1.8L in 74 and later

The hunting up and down is the interesting symptom. I have no idea what would cause that.

Rough operation during warm up including off idle makes me think CHT. Have you measured the resitance cold and hot? The link Rich gave you will tell you what the expected value are.
Bleyseng
What MPS are you running along with what ECU?
The later 037 ECU have a knob to adjust the idle mix.
Makes it easier to clean up the rough idle.
Kalva
Yes I have a non-adjustable D-Jet. Rwilner thanks for the link I'm working my way thru it now. Swl how would I check the CHT resistance?

Thanks guy for the info...
swl
The CHT is on the head, passenger side, rear cylinder. You can't actually see the sensor itself but the single lead comes out of the tin back there. Easy to spot. There should be a connector to the wiring harness about an inch and half down the lead. Just break it there and measure to ground. Measure cold, reconnect, warm up, measure again.

That's the quick and dirty. In my opinion the best way is to remove the harness at the ecu and take all your measurements there. That way you take into account any problems with the harness or connectors. Brad Anders site has the entire checklist of what you should read at the different terminals. If you go through the checklist you can pretty much eliminate any electrical/sensor fault.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.