Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Relocate fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Ricard
ANother since I'm in there and plan on replacing all the fuel lines anyway. Might as well move the fuel pump from the engine compartment to ?????? under the tank? In the car or under the car inside the splash shield? Does the return line still hook up the same? and will the plastic fuel line be OK under pressure rather than suction? Looking for best fix rather than cheapest. When messing with gasoline and 914's I have become a little gun shy.
Aaron Cox
i moved mine to the front trunk....mounted on inside of fenderwell next to spare tire

do a search...i had a thread "furl pump relocation...."
BCinSC
Whatever you do, mount away from passenger compartment. I mounted near original location, but on firewall behind/below passenger seat and it's ALL I hear anymore.
JFJ914
I duplicated the '75-'76 installation by getting the late cover, pump and mount off a '75, cut the bulkhead, got 2 new '75 "pressure" fuel lines from Porsche (still have some in Germany) and replaced the large fuel tank outlet and screen with the later small ones. Still have to move the filter mount.

I would NOT pressurize the old lines as they lack the barbs on them at the hose connections and could pop apart under pressure. The new lines have the barbs built in. Not to mention they are old and brittle.
lmcchesney
Having the pump in the engine compartment resulted in episodes of Vapor lock. Thus, Porsche relocated the pump to the front. The plastic fuel lines are 30 years old. Look on the sites and see discussions of in cab fires. I replaced my fuel lines throughout. Reccomendations, if you use say methanol suppliment, to replace the rubber lines every two years. Make sure you obtian FUEL INJECTION lines, tolerates higher pressure. I replaced the centeral tunnel lines with steel 3/8" brake lines. The engine and gas tank were out, so more room to work. The center tunnel replacement was not that difficult. I passed a guide wire through the old lines which made it easier, but removing the rear inspection plate, the shifter and the front inspection plate makes it reasonable. When installing the pump in the front, I passed the Power wire through another brake line for protection. Not sure if necessary. Since I wanted to add more in dash monitoring, I passed two additional 3/8" brake lines from the rear firewall to the front inspection plate of the centeral tunnel. Makes wiring from the engine compartment easier for now and in the future. Remember, S=suck D=druck(pressure) and R=return. IF you move to the front, you have to decide how you will make the connections at the firewall. PP has tech articles using very pretty brass/AN connectors. These connectors are expensive, but can reduce cost if you find their equalivents at Grainger(on line store available). They have hydrualic lines/connectors which are the same but less expensive. Or use Fuel Injection Hoses to make the bends. Always test for leaks and achiving final pressue at the end. Oh yeah, no smoking.
L. McChesney
Joe Ricard
Hey admins can this thread be linked to the other fuel pump relocate thread? Thanks ya'll for the info. So far the wife has not whined about money being thrown at this car that I have only had for two weeks. Not to mention all the time I now spend in the garage. Maybe it is a small price to pay for her sanity. (me in the garage). rolleyes.gif
Gint
Joe,

Go find the other thread, copy the link in the URL field of your browser. Return to this thread and paste the link. You can even edit your last post to add the link. Anyone can do it.
dinomium
Does anybody have pix of the 75on access door? I am going to have to make one. So will you Joe ;^)

Try these links:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...pump+relocation
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...pump+relocation

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm
TheCabinetmaker
I can take a pic, but ya can't see much unless you take it off. It's just a piece of sheet metal shaped with a bulge in it, and the pump is bolted to it on rubber shock absorbers. When I moved mine in my 73, I mounted it on the bulkhead forward of the tank.
dinomium
vsg, that would be fine...
I just want to get the best idea I can before I start cutting stuff! I wonder if this project quailifys for the plasma cutter purchase? idea.gif
lmcchesney
Joe, I forgott to add. Once you get your tank drained and taken out/cleaned, painted, etc. use long fuel line replacement between tank and pump. Place your square filter lower down and accessable via the suspension shroud hole. The long lines decreases the cursing factor should you need to pull the tank in the future. Just clamp at the tank and cut/remove.
L. McChesney
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.