Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: strut braces
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914momo
Does anybody know where i can get strut braces for a 72' 914 ????
Bleyseng
Why? they dont need them. There are a few made but they just look cool.

Geoff laugh.gif
914momo
lookin cool is part of tha game MDB2.gif
4WheelDrifter
Have some copied from the GT cars. idea.gif
914momo
how would you do that confused24.gif ? sounds expen$ive
Bleyseng
Ok, here is a pic of a rear strut brace...you like???
914momo
Nice set up ! is there a company that specificly makes this for a 914?
J P Stein
The company is set up to seperate you from your money.

I know somebody that has one.....he'd prolly sell it to you for a fist fulla money.....make it seem like it was worth somethin'......he's in Orygun, too. If you wanna waste money, do it locally laugh.gif
Gint
I've heard over and over and over again that strut braces are completely and totally unnecessary on a 914. The strut towers and surrounding area are stiff enough. But it's your $$$.

Welcome to the club.
campbellcj
Well...there is a specific case where bracing is useful/necessary.

If you have cut away a bunch of sheet metal esp bulkheads and such. Which would be a race car. In which case it is better to weld in 1.5" tubing for bracing...
Mueller
914momo,

welcome....

strut braces work on cars that have a huge void between the struts such as the front of the 911 or almost every front engined car....

unless you plan on removing the sheetmetal between the struts/shocks, you are better off spending the few hundred bucks elsewhere...but if you fall into the catagory of people that put magnets on thier fuel lines to increase gas mileage and performance, then this is an item to get wink.gif

do you have a cage? do you have perfect longitudals and floor pans? does the car flex? (can you hear the targa top creak and moan when driving while on?)

maybe once you step up to spring rates in the 300 or higher range, the shock towers are fine
John
Well now just hold the phone here....

Why oh why would anyone think that a brace like this could possibly be necessary. The tops of the spring/shock assembly has virtually nothing to do with the alignment in the rear of a 914. The only thing that is necessary is that the top of the shock not move up and down, and this shold not be an issue with most 914's I have seen. It is a well protected area of the car and is almost never rusty. Even if you cut away the whole trunk floor, what you want to do is to tie the two longitudinals together so they maintain alignment with each other.

This "strut brace" is a complete and utter waste of cash. Besides it must weigh something so it in effect slows you down.

Sorry, I couldn't contain myself.
Gint
Sorry, I couldn't contain myself.

I've noticed that... wink.gif No worries beerchug.gif
Bleyseng
yeah, but it looks cool and it will go with the 20" spinners on your car.

Geoff
914momo
Thanks for the input, (JOHNMAN) pray.gif Im still in the process of learning about my 914. I will be entering my car in the Baxter historical races here in Portland, and i'm looking for ways of improving my suspension.
dinomium
Momo,
Welcome to the club. I think you may have hit a nerve. blink.gif Anyway, if you want something for your suspension with some bling cache, check out the cameberplates from Triad West. They rawk! Ask rhodeguy (kev) how he likes em...

And I am wondering, just how Momo is your 914? Post some Pix.

You are going to fit in here just fine!
914momo
Moses is pretty much what i go by, but some friends call me Momo nothing really to do with my car. I'll post some pics tomarrow .

( I promise i will never bring up strut braces again ) lol3.gif
dinomium
No, I would bring it up EVERY time you answer anything from those guys... But then again I am evil
Anyhoo Moses, welcome
happy11.gif
dinomium
even better, swipe that foto and make it your avitar!! Now that is funny!
914momo
Good thinking i jus might use that as my avitar. ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
Brad Roberts
Welcome Moses.. clap56.gif clap56.gif

Some of us can be very very harsh...

You have come to the right place for info on suspension/performance oriented items for your 914.

I would venture to guess that we have MORE 914 race related people on this site than any other 914 related site. Lots of people with 20+ years of experience watch over this BBS. Feel free to ASK anything you like, but also be prepared for QUICK sometimes harsh answer if it is something that has been proven worthless (like the strut tower brace)

B
Bleyseng
Hey we aren't harsh just flipping honest!

and cheap! Why waste your money on something that doesn't do anything?

Geoff
Brad Roberts
That was the Sunday morning PC Brad speaking. I'll eat lunch soon and be back to my regularly scheduled programming... :finger2:

B
4WheelDrifter
Momo, if you want something Momo in your 914, I'll be removing the Momo steering wheel from my 914 once get the car Tuesday and I get a stock steering wheel.

My knuckles keep hitting the wiper lever (small gap between the wheel and lever) and that was just while test driving the car. This makes it even harder to drive it since my left hand just had surgery and can't grip the wheel properly with a cast on.
914momo
4WheelDrifter.

How much would you be asking for it? Looks pretty nice. smilie_flagge24.gif
Brad Roberts
4wheel,

I trim the staulks back. They are soft aluminum and can be replaced if needed later on. Easy hack saw and a file fix.

B
4WheelDrifter
Momo, I wouldn't mind trading for a nice leather wrapped stock wheel. cool_shades.gif

Bradholio, Not a bad idea but with my bad thumb, I need the leverage of the stock wheel. I'm bit of a purist too. wacko.gif
Mueller
I'm bit of a purist too.

yea, we can tell by the tilt of your gauges and the fire ext. right on the tunnel laugh.gif

if you need a stock wheel, I have one (minus horn center pad, you can have for the price of shipping)

it's not pretty, but it'll work.........
machina
QUOTE(4WheelDrifter @ Apr 18 2004, 11:24 PM)
Momo, if you want something Momo in your 914, I'll be removing the Momo steering wheel from my 914 once get the car Tuesday and I get a stock steering wheel.

My knuckles keep hitting the wiper lever (small gap between the wheel and lever) and that was just while test driving the car. This makes it even harder to drive it since my left hand just had surgery and can't grip the wheel properly with a cast on.

think momo makes a spacer as well.

dr
dinomium
I used the 1.5in spacer and now I dont hit the stalks so much...
914momo
Here's my steering wheel it's in pretty good shape but it does have it's flaws. Let's trade!!!! beerchug.gif
4WheelDrifter
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 19 2004, 07:20 AM)
I'm bit of a purist too.

yea, we can tell by the tilt of your gauges and the fire ext. right on the tunnel laugh.gif

if you need a stock wheel, I have one (minus horn center pad, you can have for the price of shipping)

it's not pretty, but it'll work.........

Mike, now now. I didn't even get the car yet. I'm taking delivery tomorrow. PO did all that funny stuff to the car. wacko.gif The car will always have a fire ext in it, I'll just find a better spot.

I'll drive it as is until I can find a nice stock wheel. Adapt, improvise, overcome!
Scott Carlberg
Doesn't the 914 come from the factory WITH a front brace anyway?

I remember asking Bradholio one time about why people don't buy them for our cars,
and he said there's already one there, right there
Bleyseng
No brace is needing on the front or rear as the front bulkhead is attached to the strut towers and same in the rear. 911's are a different animal. Porsche got the 914 right atleast.

Geoff laugh.gif
Aaron Cox
speaking of wheels.....

i found a momo prototipo new for 186.00 seems like a stellar deal (black spokes tho sad.gif )

which brings up a point. can any of you lasercutter/machine shop people make a steerung wheel that mounts to a momo hub? i want a protoipo but dont want to shell outt the dough....

can you machist people do it for less? (no need to worry about the look of the rim, id pay to have it leather wrapped)

anyone? bueller...bueller....bueller smile.gif
DuckRyder
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 18 2004, 12:15 AM)
Ok, here is a pic of a rear strut brace...you like???

HOW MUCH DOES THAT THING WEIGH? confused24.gif

I'm no engenieer, but that thing seems needlessly complicated. I've seen lots of strut braces for lota of cars, and never anything like that. cool_shades.gif

Does it have some sort of bellcrank on the bottom?
Mueller
Does it have some sort of bellcrank on the bottom?

maybe it comes off and becomes a vehicle jack?? wink.gif
Bleyseng
I grabbed the one in the pic and it was fairly heavy and stout. Maybe it would help if you were running 10" slicks.

Geoff laugh.gif
crash914
Hey, I got one of those....

They are like yellow paint....with it I can pull over 1g's...without it, ??????

Anyone want to buy one??? make me an offer.....

made by stable energies....good for 100 more HP and 3g's. wink.gif

herb
ChrisFoley
4WheelDrifter,
I probably have a stock steering wheel kicking around, since I prefer LeCarra steering wheels on my cars.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.