Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My first 914,wrecked before I got it home...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
speed metal army
Yep,thats right. sad.gif

I actually started hunting for one a few months ago....Made a deal with a fellow in OR,arranged to pick the car up,(I live in Vancouver BC)Reserved a trailer,went to the bank etc....Got home that afternoon,there was a message on my phone that he sold the car. headbang.gif ......

That was awesome.

Anyway,needless to say I found what I felt was a better car,so no harm done.I went through the same thing,arranging trailers,cash,time off and jumped in my truck with a buddy and drove all night to OR to pick the car up first thing in the AM.We actually arrived early,which was what we planned on.Vehicle exports into Canada are only done Mon-Fri 8-4pm,so we had to give ourselves lots of time to drive back.

I test drove the car in my sleep(practically anyways)for about 2 mins.Paid the man,and rolled her onto the trailer. smile.gif Homeward bound,and very happy.
We hit Dutch bros. got xtra large coffees and hit the I-5.Right on schedule. driving.gif

As all of you who live in WA or OR know,theres lots of construction going on the I-5 right now.It was about 10:30,we hit southern WA.A large cone truck(the ones with 10 ft long rear bumpers)was in the far right lane dropping cones.Huge orange cones,amber flashing lights,you could see this gaddamned thing from space.
Or so you would think.
Next thing I know im swerving hard to the left to avoid a spinning full size 80's blazer,coming across the highway.I guess he was run into by an old fellow who didnt see the cone truck,and swerved into his lane.

I swerved hard,but he still clipped the back of my truck,and to my horror,in my rearview mirror,the trailer and my new car. icon8.gif It was like a bad movie,slow motion.
I actually thought I might be dreaming.Naturally I felt ill.

The next three hours were spent on the roadside with Troopers,U-haul mechanics,and my poor car. sad.gif

For some reason I actually had the brains to purchase insurance.2 kinds. smile.gif
So after a week or so of sweating,and moping,its all being taken care of. aktion035.gif
I'm actually going to get to drive my car soon!!I cant wait.

Thanks to Mark,and Craig for your help.

I'll post some pics when I get the car back of the damage,and the repair.
Theres my story.
Ok...The Damage...
IPB Image
IPB Image

sad.gif
ripper911
WOW!
pray.gif stromberg.gif
headbang.gif
alfred.gif
Drums66
..Glad, a bad trip worked out!
peace & happiness shades.gif bye1.gif
qa1142
welcome.png
Gint
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 25 2010, 11:08 AM) *
Huge orange cones,amber flashing lights,you could see this gaddamned thing from space.
av-943.gif That part was funny!

Sorry about your ordeal, but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. Grats on the new 914!

welcome.png

And... somebody has to do it...

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(Gint @ Sep 25 2010, 11:51 AM) *

Huge orange cones,amber flashing lights,you could see this gaddamned thing from space.

Sorry about your ordeal, but it sounds like it all worked out in the end. Grats on the new 914!

welcome.png

Hey thanks for the welcome.Ive been lurking for quite some time now...Yes,yes...Pictures.There will be pics.Let me get it back first...And yeah,how you could miss a cone truck in front of you..I just dont get it. confused24.gif
majkos
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 25 2010, 11:43 AM) *

welcome.png

Hey thanks for the welcome.Ive been lurking for quite some time now...Yes,yes...Pictures.There will be pics.Let me get it back first...And yeah,how you could miss a cone truck in front of you..I just dont get it. confused24.gif

Dumbass texting?
Can't wait to see the photo's
Lennies914
welcome.png

Glad it worked out.

Hopefully before and after pics are coming.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(majkos @ Sep 25 2010, 07:50 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 25 2010, 11:43 AM) *

welcome.png

Dumbass texting?
Can't wait to see the photo's

agree.gif slap.gif WTF.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif
zonedoubt
welcome.png
From fellow Vancouver 914 owner.
speed metal army
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Sep 25 2010, 07:34 PM) *

welcome.png
From fellow Vancouver 914 owner.

Hey there are some up here!Nice!All the ones I usually see have weeds growing up all around em.
Thanks for the welcome guys! smile.gif
Andyrew
What kind of facility is doing the repair on the 914? I'd be REALLY leery on that..
speed metal army
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 26 2010, 11:31 AM) *

What kind of facility is doing the repair on the 914? I'd be REALLY leery on that..

The shop is owned by a gent that has owned multiple porsches(even a 914),and still owns one today.Very professional,nice modern facility.Clean as a whistle too.He almost cares too much(not that thats possible)Im not worried in the slightest.I did some research,didnt dump it off at the first shop I saw.Trust me,I am super paranoid about this stuff.She will be as good as new.
carr914
welcome.png
Andyrew
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 26 2010, 11:47 AM) *

The shop is owned by a gent that has owned multiple porsches(even a 914),and still owns one today.Very professional,nice modern facility.Clean as a whistle too.He almost cares too much(not that thats possible)Im not worried in the slightest.I did some research,didnt dump it off at the first shop I saw.Trust me,I am super paranoid about this stuff.She will be as good as new.

Awesome!! Just making sure its not being taken to someone who is not going to know anything about classic cars. Lots of people have no say in who the car is taken to for repairs.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Sep 26 2010, 08:32 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 26 2010, 11:47 AM) *

Awesome!! Just making sure its not being taken to someone who is not going to know anything about classic cars. Lots of people have no say in who the car is taken to for repairs.

Were good!Theresa variety of super highball cars in there.... smile.gif My 914 is in good hands,no doubt about it!

Pictures to follow..
pete-stevers
Welcome to the club
hello from the Fraser Valley
great to see you are repopulating BC piratenanner.gif
every teener helps!!
speed metal army
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 26 2010, 09:57 PM) *

Welcome to the club
hello from the Fraser Valley
great to see you are repopulating BC piratenanner.gif
every teener helps!!

Ha!that apple looks awfully familliar....Thanks!
pete-stevers
now where might you have seen that ....apple
do you travel the 7 or are you out in Mission often
speed metal army
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 27 2010, 09:56 PM) *

I the in the river city...I see that apple everyday!
Tom
Sounds like you have been to Camp 914. Which one did you get? color? Isn't Craig an easy guy to deal with? Got mine in 2005 and he even delivered it to my door!
Tom
pete-stevers
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 28 2010, 07:00 AM) *

i sold the store, possesion change over on the 11th!! piratenanner.gif
i have been merchandising veggies for twenty years blink.gif it is high time for a change
drop by and say hi before i am gone
i might even have some parts you might need
if i am not hoarding them happy11.gif
What are the plans for the car??

i will pm you contact info
speed metal army
QUOTE(pete-stevers @ Sep 28 2010, 06:00 PM) *

QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 28 2010, 07:00 AM) *

i sold the store, possesion change over on the 11th!! piratenanner.gif
i have been merchandising veggies for twenty years blink.gif it is high time for a change
drop by and say hi before i am gone
i might even have some parts you might need
if i am not hoarding them happy11.gif
What are the plans for the car??

i will pm you contact info

Sounds good!!Pm away!
speed metal army
smile.gif
QUOTE(Tom @ Sep 28 2010, 11:28 AM) *

Sounds like you have been to Camp 914. Which one did you get? color? Isn't Craig an easy guy to deal with? Got mine in 2005 and he even delivered it to my door!
Tom

Craig helped me with parts.Awesome guy to deal with!I will buy lots more goodies from him in the future. smile.gif
speed metal army
So,after lots of drama,and crazy crap,I drove my car today.I feel MUCH better!

What a load of crazy crap I had to deal with!

Details and pics to come tomorrow.

Its finally home after about a month. biggrin.gif
Mikey914
You know you need to post picks, before and after.
speed metal army
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Oct 20 2010, 10:36 PM) *

You know you need to post picks, before and after.

Yeah,yeah..I said pics tomorrow!

Wheres my spoiler....??? evilgrin.gif
Its been long enuff!I want a free one! biggrin.gif
Mikey914
James has been a little backed up, but I'll have it this friday.

RFoulds
Ahh, Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. I miss that part of the world. Although, SoCal ain't bad either. That area has always been good for sports cars., Back in the 80's I used to get thumbs up and waves driving my Fiat x/19 or MGB around. They weren't even that old back then.
Used to make the trek up to Hope a few times each summer and over to the Island once in a while.
How many 914's do you see around there??
speed metal army
Here are the pics of the repair.Color match was perfect!
IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

I feel much better now. smile.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 21 2010, 08:18 AM) *

Ahh, Vancouver and the Fraser Valley. I miss that part of the world. Although, SoCal ain't bad either. That area has always been good for sports cars., Back in the 80's I used to get thumbs up and waves driving my Fiat x/19 or MGB around. They weren't even that old back then.
Used to make the trek up to Hope a few times each summer and over to the Island once in a while.
How many 914's do you see around there??

Not a lot!Its funny though,It seems when I do see one its in the valley...
Sleepin
Beautiful car!!!!
Spoke
Beautiful car.

I don't often remember many of my dreams, but after reading your thread the first time, I had a dream that night that I was towing my 914 and it fell off the back of the trailer, spun around and into oncoming traffic and was smashed.

I think the dream was a mixture of your accident and remembering when I towed my 914 from Connecticut to PA and worrying the whole time that I wouldn't see the car in the rear view mirror sliding off the back of the trailer.

Happy motoring!
speed metal army
QUOTE(Spoke @ Oct 21 2010, 08:10 PM) *

Beautiful car.

I don't often remember many of my dreams, but after reading your thread the first time, I had a dream that night that I was towing my 914 and it fell off the back of the trailer, spun around and into oncoming traffic and was smashed.

I think the dream was a mixture of your accident and remembering when I towed my 914 from Connecticut to PA and worrying the whole time that I wouldn't see the car in the rear view mirror sliding off the back of the trailer.

Happy motoring!

You know when it happened I was actually hoping it was a bad dream....It seemed to happen in slow motion.Sadly,no dream. biggrin.gif
Chris Pincetich
Cool combo. Love the color!
I want shiny Fuchs!
I would love to drive my 914 from CA up there in the summer. I visited Whistler spring 2009, and all the roads where being re-paved for the Olympics. That is probably one sweet drive now. beerchug.gif
welcome.png
EdwardBlume
smilie_pokal.gif Nice ride.

Quit wrecking it... laugh.gif
RFoulds
Very Nice car! Can you legally backdate the bumpers in Canada? Love the 5 lug Fuchs.

I may need to pick your brain about importing the car. I have looked at the Registrar's website and it seems fairly simple. I get a lot fo calls from BC looking for cars down here.

Drums66
...The polished wheels are a nice touch.... first.gif
trippy color biggrin.gif
bye1.gif
AndyB
Good looking ride biggrin.gif Where are the wrecked pics though?
jsayre914
agree.gif

Yor car is georgeous wub.gif

p.s. I just realized there was 3 pictures, i usually dont scroll sideways sunglasses.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(RobW @ Oct 22 2010, 02:16 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif Nice ride.

Quit wrecking it... laugh.gif

Easy now... laugh.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 22 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Good looking ride biggrin.gif Where are the wrecked pics though?

First post contains 2 shots of the ouch!
speed metal army
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Oct 22 2010, 02:36 PM) *

Very Nice car! Can you legally backdate the bumpers in Canada? Love the 5 lug Fuchs.

I may need to pick your brain about importing the car. I have looked at the Registrar's website and it seems fairly simple. I get a lot fo calls from BC looking for cars down here.

Legally?Not sure,but cant see how they would ever notice or know..Theres whacks of "custom" bikes cars etc. here and no hassles whatsoever.

The import process was so easy,I was actually surprised.PM me ,i'll give you the lowdown.
AndyB
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 25 2010, 10:08 AM) *

Yep,thats right. sad.gif

I actually started hunting for one a few months ago....Made a deal with a fellow in OR,arranged to pick the car up,(I live in Vancouver BC)Reserved a trailer,went to the bank etc....Got home that afternoon,there was a message on my phone that he sold the car. headbang.gif ......

That was awesome.

Anyway,needless to say I found what I felt was a better car,so no harm done.I went through the same thing,arranging trailers,cash,time off and jumped in my truck with a buddy and drove all night to OR to pick the car up first thing in the AM.We actually arrived early,which was what we planned on.Vehicle exports into Canada are only done Mon-Fri 8-4pm,so we had to give ourselves lots of time to drive back.

I test drove the car in my sleep(practically anyways)for about 2 mins.Paid the man,and rolled her onto the trailer. smile.gif Homeward bound,and very happy.
We hit Dutch bros. got xtra large coffees and hit the I-5.Right on schedule. driving.gif

As all of you who live in WA or OR know,theres lots of construction going on the I-5 right now.It was about 10:30,we hit southern WA.A large cone truck(the ones with 10 ft long rear bumpers)was in the far right lane dropping cones.Huge orange cones,amber flashing lights,you could see this gaddamned thing from space.
Or so you would think.
Next thing I know im swerving hard to the left to avoid a spinning full size 80's blazer,coming across the highway.I guess he was run into by an old fellow who didnt see the cone truck,and swerved into his lane.

I swerved hard,but he still clipped the back of my truck,and to my horror,in my rearview mirror,the trailer and my new car. icon8.gif It was like a bad movie,slow motion.
I actually thought I might be dreaming.Naturally I felt ill.

The next three hours were spent on the roadside with Troopers,U-haul mechanics,and my poor car. sad.gif

For some reason I actually had the brains to purchase insurance.2 kinds. smile.gif
So after a week or so of sweating,and moping,its all being taken care of. aktion035.gif
I'm actually going to get to drive my car soon!!I cant wait.

Thanks to Mark,and Craig for your help.

I'll post some pics when I get the car back of the damage,and the repair.
Theres my story.
Ok...The Damage...
IPB Image
IPB Image

sad.gif

I hope you goy yhe trailer insurance from Uhaul lol-2.gif Seriously though nice matching of paint and repairs
speed metal army
QUOTE(abayer1969 @ Oct 23 2010, 03:53 AM) *

I hope you goy yhe trailer insurance from Uhaul lol-2.gif Seriously though nice matching of paint and repairs

I did get the uhaul insurance!best 14 bux I ever spent!Weird thing is,I never would usually get it.Good thing!
Nürburg Nomad
Wow, wild story but glad to see a good ending! 10mph more and that 914 could've been knocked free from the trailer!

Looks great from the repair photos and you purchased a 914 in a super cool color! biggrin.gif
pete-stevers
that looks completely respectible!!!! piratenanner.gif
i will check for that lid this weekend and let you know
take care
speed metal army
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Oct 22 2010, 02:59 PM) *

...The polished wheels are a nice touch.... first.gif
trippy color biggrin.gif
bye1.gif

STock Lime green metallic!Thanks! smile.gif
Root_Werks
Wow that is a nice 914! wub.gif
pete-stevers
i heard.....you might be dream...six.... (and so they know we are Canadians)
Eh???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.