Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how complete is your emergency kit?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obliviousmonkey
how complete is your emergency kit?

so i'm driving with my fuel light on
i've never run outta gas...pull into the station put in $13.13 (maybe that had something to do with it) start her up and literally go around the corner and bog city...
pull into a parking lot and it dies complete with the great smell of unburnt fuel...try to start her up and just more smoke...so i open up my hood to look at what i have in my kit...
jack stands.jack.timing light.volt meter/dwell gizmo.jumper cables.pretty complete tool box.and a piece of fuel linei needed more fuel line...the thing was squirting gas from under the tank...so i jack her up and stick my hand in that access hole but nothing has come loose but it's leaking somewhere...
so i hanging out and this guy walks by and we chat...he says since i was low on gas i probably sucked air and now the psi is pushing back against the pump...but i open both lines at the injection rail and fuel psi adjuster and i have flow...so no start...and my first tow...but it was fun the husband and wife team were a riot...maybe if i had more tools i could've remained towless
seanery
Monkey,
welcome to the club! I kinda played with your post a bit, it should make for an interesting poll. I had a similar experience last night on my carb'd car. It's been running great, but yesterday it started hesitating and even died 3 times (1 on the interstate! ohmy.gif ). This is happening because I have a DE next weekend. I've never had a car 100% at a DE.

Anyway, welcome and good luck!
machina
emergency kit?

cel phone.

dr
Curvie Roadlover
wrenches
fuses
bulbs
clutch cable
throttle cable
jumper cables
assorted wires
electricle tape
duct tape
spare relays
cell phone
TheCabinetmaker
Just everyday driving around town= cell phone.

On a trip out of town= enough tools to drop the motor and enough parts to rebuild it laugh.gif

Seriously, basic hand tools, ingnition parts, fuses relays, dwell meter, etc, but the most important tool I carry is my scorpion tactical flashlight and extra batteries. I have two fingers a thumb that have been surgically reattached(couple of table saw accidents), so my gerber multi tool is always on my hip. wub.gif
PatW
Cell Phone.
AAA Card.
PH# To HPH.
PH# to Local Towing Co.
Leatherman Mulit-Tool.
Spark Plugs.
Cap & Rotor
Fan Belt.
Clutch Cable.
Multimeter
Gint
It really depends on where I'm goin and what I'm driving.

Around town, cell phone, jack and a spare.

Long distance, even when I rent a new car I bring a tool kit.
Joseph Mills
Cell phone & small bottle of Courvoisier.
Andyrew
Same as above, but with a fire extinguisher.. Maybe not for you, but someday you'll need it.

Andrew
Mueller
what motor? what FI?

I think it's just a coiencedence....the fuel lines will leak due to age...I had the lines that are under the tank burst one day when trying to start the car in my garage, scary since the waterheater is only a few feet away and it seemed like a gallon dumped out before I smelt it and turned off the car.

Welcome aboard...we have a few members in your area

AAA card and cell phone are a must...I also have a small tool kit and believe it or not, I keep a water purification kit in all my cars as well (earthquake and such)
Aaron Cox
me?
i have a factory tool kit,fire extinguisher, AAA card, and a bottle of advil plus my cell phone wink.gif
boxstr
My emergency kit consists of two things, A Jeep Grand Cherokee and a tow dolly.
CCLINTOWINGISEASY
scotty
Cell Phone
AAA+
Spares: tire & fuses (should get a fan belt...)
3x fire extinguishers (one in each trunk & behind driver seat. fire...BAD!)
Huge lug wrench
leatherman wave
Duct tape (yellow -- I hear it works better wink.gif )
Electical tape

shoes
anthony
AAA+

Getting the AAA Plus plan and 100 mile towing is very important when you own a 30 year old car.
rhodyguy
19mm socket on a 1/2" breaker bar.
a stubby screw driver to pull the idle jets.
smaller sized floor jack.

dave hunt carries the insides of a snap-on truck. laugh.gif
bongo monkey
135 piece tool kit.

Spare tire (flat), stock jack, 4-way wrench, spark plug wrench, lug nut wrench.

Cell phone-like thingy.

I need a fire extingusher. Could have used it when my engine caught fire last August. <_<
SirAndy
cell phone with brad's number laugh.gif
GWN7
In the 914 everything mentioned above including spare clutch and gas cables.

In my truck: assorted tools, shovel, jack, chainsaw, 100' 1/2" rope, 30' heavy chain with hooks, dynamic straps, sledge hammer, come-a-long, 2- 3'X3' plywood 3/4", winch, 200' aircraft cable, spare gas, roll of ducktape and most important of all....a roll of toilet paper.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.