Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Need help! Looking for someone that knows 911 - 4 build '9
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
Hi,

I'm looking at a 1999 911 Carrera 4 that is up for sale in West Chester, PA.

Anybody around that knows that type, is around West Chester, PA and would like to help me to inspect the car.

The current owner claims:
"...This is a great value for a Porsche mechanic, someone needing a track car, or someone who simply needs parts from a 996. This car has either a bad head gasket or cracked cylinder head. The car still drives and runs but the problem is there and will need to be addressed. Unfortunately, unless the motor is broken down, there is no way of telling for sure. The car has never missed a service..."

How much is it to replace the head gasket or in worse case the head? Is there no way to pin-point the fauls w/o takeing the engine apart?

Thanks for any help and inputs!!
Dragan
JFJ914
RUN AWAY!!!!! The M96 engine has many failure modes, none easily or cheaply repairable by a 914 CSOB. The usual fix is an exchange engine from Porsche or a Raby upgrade (x20K). If they give you the car for free, it still might not be a good deal for you.
IronHillRestorations
If you want a 911 get a 964 (with the clutch mod), a 3.2 Carrera, or a 993, in that order. The water cooled Porsches will never hold their value like the air cooled ones.
draganc
Thanks guys!

It's a convertable and asking price is $12k. I guess it was to good to be true. hissyfit.gif
Jake Raby
The car is a '99. If it has those symptoms, it has a cracked cylinder/ slipped sleeve, leading up to a D chunk failure. These issues are most common with the '99 model engine. If it were a 200 or any other year with this issues I'd say it probably has a cracked head..

These engines DO NOT blow head gaskets. Never seen that, not once.

Where is this car located?? This sounds like one I could grab, fix and sell.. Being one of the only people in the country that understands how to repair these things does have its benefits :-)
type11969
West Chester PA, about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia.
draganc
Jake,

I spoke to the seller today and the car is NLA - sold this weekend.
In addtion, I looked at your M96 build on your webpage - what a PIA that engine setup is.

Dragan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.