Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kliney30
I am in the process of restoring my 914 and I've run into a few problems some of you may have experience with:

1) Can anyone tell me their experiences of steel vs. fiberglass outer rocker panels? Steel seem to be harder to find, but should I keep on looking or purchase fiberglass ones?

2) Struts - If I opt for the cheaper Boge struts vs. Bilstein/Koni's, to what extent will I compromise performance? Are the Bilstein/Koni's well worth the extra money?

3) Do you recommend a place to purchase the rear trunk floor plan for a reasonable price? How about interior carpeting?

Thanks again for any help you can provide!

Evan
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(kliney30 @ Apr 18 2004, 09:01 AM)
2) Struts - If I opt for the cheaper Boge struts vs. Bilstein/Koni's, to what extent will I compromise performance? Are the Bilstein/Koni's well worth the extra money?

3) Do you recommend a place to purchase the rear trunk floor plan for a reasonable price?

welcome !

there are several 914 owners here in SEPA, a few who are active here on the board, a few who are quite active in the Riesentöter Region, a few with actual running 914's, and a very few who fit into all 3 categories ...

you don't have a lot of choices on struts, assuming you're talking about a 914/4. if you're just talking about damper inserts, most people feel either a Koni or Bilstein insert is definitely worth the additional money. (take your pick on Koni vs Bilstein - its preference. i prefer Bilstein but some prefer Koni. they're both quality options.)

Restoration Design for repair panels.
McMark
1. Steel is hard to install, but can be made to look perfect. Fiberglass is really hard to install and almost never looks perfect. Good used fenders are available from a variety of 914 specific parts houses.

2. Adjustable Koni's are the hot ticket right now. Most places carry them, I think HPH has a good deal on them right now. But I can't say I've shopped anywhere else.
wink.gif

3. Restoration Designs, I think they have a link in out Parts and Resources forum. Interior Carpeting can be acquired from any of the big Porsche catalogs or a value version is available from 914 Appearances and Accessories, also in our Parts and Resources Forum.
rhodyguy
if you have the coin, the rockers are nicely priced for new units. good used ones fetch a high price and usually need some work. after market glass ones leave alot to be desired.

kevin
boxstr
Restoration Design is the place to buy your NEW panels. Also I would stay with the steel rockers, glass ones take a bit of work to get to fit, BTDT.
HPH or Paragon Products for Koni shocks.
CCLINDAMPCAMP
Gint
agree.gif with what everyone else has said.

Welcome to the club Evan!
IronHillRestorations
I would try and find a good straight set of used factory rocker panels.

The aftermarket steel ones are OK enough, but I've heard of fit problems. Probably not a bad bang for the buck though.

I've been a Bilstein man once I could afford more than the cheapest I could get, but the next car I do for myself I'm going with Koni's. I like the adjustablility, especially now that I'm working on middle age (or my back is anyway).

The rear pans from Restoration Design are great. I've put them in a few cars with excellent results. I've got them in stock if you want one. The thing that's nearly impossible to do is duplicate the factory seam sealer.

PK cool.gif
Dave_Darling
Note that many of the mail-order outfits sell RD repro parts for the same price that RD does. Including the one I work for. (Who also sells carpets and rocker panels--one stop shopping!!)

--DD
Trekkor
No one has mentioned KYB's.
Is that because they barf.gif ?

I had 'em before. I liked them.

Never had the big buck struts though. idea.gif

trekkor
campbellcj
Like they said agree.gif welcome.

Watch the classifieds, ebay etc for guys who are doing GT-flare conversions and you can find some OE steel rockers cheap. Here in SoCal I found mine for $30-ish and they were perfect, just needed a quick respray.

Likewise on other body panels; clean steel parts are available here in California and the other "rust-free" (haha a 914 oxymoron) states.

For some reason, guys on this board are always cutting perfectly good parts off their cars sawzall-smiley.gif so just post exactly what you need and somebody will probably have it!
kliney30
Thank you all for welcoming me to the club!!

It sounds like I should go with the steel rockers. I've got to see if anyone is selling a set that's in decent shape.

Thanks again!!
Evan
Bleyseng
Trekkor, no one uses Kill Your Backs (KYB's) as you can get the OEM Boge's for cheap and they work great.
Jumping up the Koni's is the real deal thou.

Geoff rolling.gif
Joe.D
My current 914 came with nearly new KYBs "Gas adjusts" and 140# springs, and the rear of the car ride harder than a farm tractor, which has NO suspension. I'd gladly trade them even-up for a new set of Boges. I'm saving up for adjustable Koni's and then the KYBs get listed on the boards (here, pelican, ebay...)

Joe
Trekkor
What should I expect to shell out for the Koni's?

trekkor
seanery
150-160 each
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.