Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI Conversion to Carb's in California
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
Hi, I plan to give my 74 914 to my nephew sometime next year; I live in Texas and he lives in Los Angeles County. Will there be any registration problem with the car because it has been converted it from FI to Carb's? I easily pass the emissions in Texas. any experiences out there? Thanks Mike
ConeDodger
I don't *think* there should be any kind of inspection unless it is a salvage title. If so, it will require a Brake and Light Inspection and a CHP Inspection. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I brought a car in from out of state years ago and they didn't need to see it. Perhaps a simple VIN inspection where they come out of the DMV office and look at the VIN and tell you there is a problem because there aren't enough numbers lol-2.gif If it were to require a CHP Inspection, I passed one of these with the Bumblebee Racer and it had carbs. They were only looking to make sure the car was not assembled with stolen parts.

No 914 requires a smog inspection until the '76 model and even the earlier ones of these don't require smog. I believe it is up to April for some reason.
jim dorociak
QUOTE(xperu @ Sep 26 2010, 01:29 PM) *

Hi, I plan to give my 74 914 to my nephew sometime next year; I live in Texas and he lives in Los Angeles County. Will there be any registration problem with the car because it has been converted it from FI to Carb's? I easily pass the emissions in Texas. any experiences out there? Thanks Mike

Someone else chime in, but if the car is 1975 or older then it does not have to be smogged. Jim

Als914
QUOTE(xperu @ Sep 26 2010, 01:29 PM) *

I have a '74 as well and it became smog exempt two years back so you now can do anything you want to the engine. You should not have any problems.
Mike Bellis
Every vehicle entering California to be registered Must have a VIN inspection. 1975 and older vehicles are exempt from smog testing.
patssle
One less 914 in Houston. I might be all alone soon enough!
Andyrew
Yup VIN inspection.. MAYBE a light/ horn/brake light check. but really they wont look/know/care about anything else, they have 50 other people behind you.
Cambo
I brought a 75 914 into Cali from out of state in July and they walked outside and check the VIN in 2 places and that was it. No smog. I believe I read somewhere that California law requires you to maintain factory smog equipment even if it's pre-76 but a 74 IS smog test exempt. I suppose it could fail a visual inspection if you were pulled over by an overzealous cop. Just my humble opinion.....
Als914
Here in SoCal they are closing DMV's daily WTF.gif . No one will be inspecting anything with legal documentation, But be aware lines will wrapped around buildings at all locations especially in LA mad.gif . Get there early!!
orange914
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 26 2010, 05:24 PM) *

Every vehicle entering California to be registered Must have a VIN inspection. 1975 and older vehicles are exempt from smog testing.

you have to initially smog even the exempt years on transfer of ownership... at least you used to.
they also used to transfer title within family with out taxing.

Jerry
...Hey....where in Houston do you live? I saw a yellow 914 in the Woodlands not too long ago...
xperu
QUOTE(Jerry @ Sep 27 2010, 12:43 AM) *

...Hey....where in Houston do you live? I saw a yellow 914 in the Woodlands not too long ago...

Thanks everyone for the help and suggestions. Jerry, I live in League City, between Galveston and Houston. The weather is cooling down, so you may see another yellow 914 up your way. I am planning a trip to the Woodlands and Lake Conroe in the next month or so. Mike
patssle
You Houstonians may be interested in this, I plan on being there.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/tex-mex-tx-...t-oct-16th.html
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.