Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drivers side jackpoint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I am in the process of removing the remainder of the driver's side jack point and have become very aware of how hard it is to get to all the areas with even a dremel and most likely later a welder. The passenger side was easy since I had the "luxury" of having to remove the inner dogleg and inner wheel well as a result of hell hole rust.

What is the trick if the jack point is all you have to remove?

dr914@autoatlanta.com
Two things. First, if the jack post cover is not rusted all of the way up, cut it in half and use only half of the new one and seam it to the top of the old one.
If it is totally rotted, then cut out a section of the sill plate for more access. DO NOT cut the quarter nor the door jamb!!!!

QUOTE(obscurity @ Sep 26 2010, 02:14 PM) *

I am in the process of removing the remainder of the driver's side jack point and have become very aware of how hard it is to get to all the areas with even a dremel and most likely later a welder. The passenger side was easy since I had the "luxury" of having to remove the inner dogleg and inner wheel well as a result of hell hole rust.

obscurity
Thanks George,

As you can see the whole thing was gone. When I started it still looked right but a few minutes with a scratch awl and I discovered that the whole thing was filled with sand and rusted to paper thin. Hopefully I didn't cut too far up the jamb.
Click to view attachment

John

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 26 2010, 06:17 PM) *

Two things. First, if the jack post cover is not rusted all of the way up, cut it in half and use only half of the new one and seam it to the top of the old one.
If it is totally rotted, then cut out a section of the sill plate for more access. DO NOT cut the quarter nor the door jamb!!!!

QUOTE(obscurity @ Sep 26 2010, 02:14 PM) *

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.