Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removable steering wheel hub for 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
campbellcj
As subject says, between the new seat I installed yesterday (woohoo), the rollcage, and oncoming "olphartness" I think I will need a removable steering wheel shortly. I really love the Personal Fittipaldi, which I previously used in my 911 for years, but it is tough to wiggle around.

Soooo, has anyone successfully used the Smart-Racing Products removable hub with the 914-4 splines and column? I know that our splines are compatible with some of the 911's so I figure they have a spline version that "fits" but the column shape and depth might be a different story.

Obviously I will call Craig soon but as SRP are "911 guys" I though I'd check here first. Also, are there any other hubs that are equivalent quality and fit our cars?
ArtechnikA
check out the hubs at 'goingsuperfast.com' -- okay - stupid rice-y site name, good products, great prices. his "Type 1" is the one we want (i've got ont in the 911, and i'm torn between using the Personal Fitti like yours or the Momo 'Type 7'. the cool thing is the wheel side of the adapter fits BOTH Personal and MoMo BHC's.

mention my name or Jeroen's (or the 914Club site) and you might get a discount. good price even without it.

i'm still trying to figure out how to make the horn work, tho ...

we had a thread on this subject a while back (search on 'goingsuperfast' and i'm sure you'll find it. Jeroen's opinion was that SRP's is just someone e;se's, repackaged, and not worth the hefty price tag. My opinion on the SRP stuff has been similar - their own stuff seems to be priced commensurate with its superior quality and engineering, but their markups on stuff sourced elsewhere are excessive ...)
nine14cats
Hi Chris,

FWIW, I've been using the Smart Racing Products removeable hub the last year and it's a nice piece, hefty price tag notwithstanding. Functionality wise, it's hard to beat and their hubs do fit the 914-4 spline. My car is a converted 6. you just have to specify that you need the 914-4 fit.

The one drawback for some people is that even with the "short" style hub...it still places the wheel closer to you by ~1 inch. I personally don't mind, but other's say they don't like it. And since my car was gutted, I didn't need to try to make the horn work...so I don't have experience with that.

All in all...with the onslaught of age...crawling into the car over the cage is mucho easier without the steering wheel! laugh.gif

Bill P.
campbellcj
Thanks guys! The current hub adapter I've got (thanks Rich!) spaces the wheel out pretty far, and I would not want it any closer -- in fact I could use 1/2-1" farther reach. So the "goingsuperfast" version appears to bolt between the current hub and steering wheel, moving it 1" closer to the driver if I interpreted the site's description & pics correctly.

It would however be a big plus if I didn't need to buy a new (Momo/Sparco pattern) steering wheel!
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(campbellcj @ Apr 18 2004, 09:40 AM)
the "goingsuperfast" version appears to bolt between the current hub and steering wheel, moving it 1" closer to the driver if I interpreted the site's description & pics correctly.

they're all going to have to add something... 1" is correct on that model - just measured it.

my biggest issue is the depth of the MoMo hub adapter, which is yet another reason why i like the Personal - i think it's shorter. the dish of the Model 7 wheel takes yet more space, and the rim is narrower than the Personal - cool yellow stripe notwithstanding... i have a PD MoMo i may swap in to see how i like it, and there is the Fitti still available to me with but a hib swap ...

(too many options :-) ...)
machina
I think the OG is the best hand down if you don't need the horn to work. The problem I had with the other QR is that you still had to use the momo adapter, so the wheel was way to close to me.

The OG has a fluted spline for the release machined right onto the spline that matches the 914/911 shaft. The wheel then bolts to a plate. Simple and does not push the wheel out. The price is not bad either at $159 especially when you consider that you don't need the momo adapter.

http://www.ogracing.com/eshop/itemdetail.a...379&showbrake=1

dr
Brad Roberts
I like the looks of the OG. We used to use a fine splined dirt track setup for under 100$. Looked just like all the ones posted. We welded them to the shaft (inside the end)

B
McMark
I was thinking about a quick release for my car. I have a Momo (right Chris?) but no adapter yet. Maybe I'll just get the OG one.
Brad Roberts
The OG looks good and the price isnt too crazy. I dont really care about the lack of horn. I think I have needed to honk a 914 horn twice in my life.

B
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 18 2004, 12:08 PM)
...I dont really care about the lack of horn. I think I have needed to honk a 914 horn twice in my life.

you may not need to use it, but if you want to register a car in PA (and a lot of other states) you've gotta -have- it.
cha914
I don't know if its different in other states, but in Texas your horn just needs to work, they don't care where the button is. So just put a push button on the dash and register the car...

Tony
machina
what about one of those little canister horns that works on an aerosal can?

used to have one for the boat. Thought about just keeping it near the seat somewhere for real emergencies. Like if I am testing my brakes in the neighborhood and a big bus don't see me.

dr
Jeroen
If you don't have a hub yet, get the OG quick release.
This is basically the splined weld-on QR that you can get at most racing shops for about $50, but they machined the inside of the splined part, so you can bolt it to your steering column
If you fear the steering wheel will get too close to your chest, this would also be the one for you.
IIRC the OG QR only fits MOMO/Sparco/OMP style wheels (70mm bolt circle)

If you already have a wheel/hub, and don't mind the 1" extra, then go for the one from www.goingsuperfast.com
IIRC it's $99 incl USA shipping (and if you mention my name or the 914world.com site, you might get a discount)
This one will fit both the MOMO and Personal style wheels

Personally, I like to have the wheel close by. Gives you more control.
(you have more strength in your arms if the are bend then when they are stretched)
It may feel a little awkward at first, but you get used to it very quickly

cheers,

Jeroen
Joe Bob
I bought the one that Iverson was selling....when it arrives I will let ya know how it works.

LTB Motorsports Quick Release steering wheel adapter.
http://www.ltbmotorsport.com/dilquicrelhu.html
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 18 2004, 02:09 PM)

that URL's OTS ...
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 18 2004, 02:05 PM)
If you don't have a hub yet, get the OG quick release.

i find it interesting that they specify it for 911 "74 and newer - and 914/6" when the early 911 (LWB at least, earlier too i think) and 914.6 are identical AFAIK ...

i find the combination of MoMo hub and QD and dished wheel puts it -too- close to me; i may have to make some changes, and this is a product i'll have to consider; despite my lukewarm experiences with OG ...
Jeroen
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 18 2004, 11:09 PM)

Same $50 QR, with the splined part welded to a round plate that bolts to your hub...
Will take more space than 1" though
$139 IIRC
Dave Turner also has these...

cheers,

Jeroen
Joe Bob
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 18 2004, 02:17 PM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 18 2004, 02:09 PM)

that URL's OTS ...

Steve must be saving bandwidth....they were up a couple of days ago....I will post when I get it....
jonwatts
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 18 2004, 02:22 PM)
i find it interesting that they specify it for 911 "74 and newer - and 914/6" when the early 911 (LWB at least, earlier too i think) and 914.6 are identical AFAIK ...

Thank you. How do you order one of these for a 4 cylinder car? The OG link shows the 911/914-6 version and a 944/993/995, etc. Neither will fit a 4 cylinder chassis as I understand it.
Jeroen
The splines on the steering column for a 911, 914/6 or /4 are all the same
The only difference is the offset...
Since Synthesis has one in his car, I'd say that isn't a problem either

One (minor) drawback of the OG product is that you don't have a cancel for your indicators.
(some thing to consider for a street car)

cheers,

Jeroen
Rog914
I have the SmartRacing quick-release hub. Very well made but, on the expensive side. I like the 1" space closer to you because driving on hard corners I would hit the turn signal or wiper arms every now & then but, not with the 1" more space between the T/S & wiper arms.

To make the horn work I have a 3" lathe that I turned down some brass & plastic to make a simple plunger with a spring in it. That way there's no wire to disconnect every time you take the S/W off. Wish I had the equipment to down load some pics. It works pretty darn good.

Ralph

74 2.0
turbo914v8
Hi all,

I was interested in purchasing a removable steering wheel adaptor for my 914 due to the fact that after I installed my racing seats, I was having difficulty manervering my fat a** between the seat and wheel. I came across as company called TEKNIQ AutoSport. They have both a races version and street version of the removable steering wheel hub. I purchased the street version, as I wanted to maintain a functional horn. The installation was straightforward, fast and easy. My .02 it’s a great product. Check it out.

www.tekniqauto.com/US/home.htm

Regards,
Turbo Paul
Jeroen
Problem with the Tekniq QR is that it is made for the Raid / Nardi / Personal types of hub/wheel
You need to buy their adapters to make them work with (the more common) MOMO / Sparco / OMP type wheels/hubs

I've got a compareable QR from TC Racing (which was not a problem since I already had a Raid hub for my car)

IIRC Paragon Products now sells a similar style QR that does bolt to the more common MOMO hubs and wheels without the need of adaptors...

cheers,

Ya-Roon, graphic guru,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.