Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I can't believe the brakes are so picky on fluid!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
patssle
After driving my car last fall and spring with hard brakes that couldn't lockup, my first order of business after bringing it out of summer hibernation was to fix the brakes. They had been rebuilt by Eric and installed by a previous PO.

The pedal was hard to push and could not lock up the brakes. So I bled the brakes today as it had not been done in a couple years. The fluid came out fine, and was discolored, but was not opaque. So I figured this would not fix the problem. Wrong! Took the car down the street and bam, locked them up.

The brake fluid was not that dirty, but apparently just a little can mess up your brakes.

Now I'm just waiting for the cops to come as the neighborhood bitch came out of her house and stared me down for screeching twice. ar15.gif
speed metal army
QUOTE(patssle @ Sep 26 2010, 03:06 PM) *

After driving my car last fall and spring with hard brakes that couldn't lockup, my first order of business after bringing it out of summer hibernation was to fix the brakes. They had been rebuilt by Eric and installed by a previous PO.

The pedal was hard to push and could not lock up the brakes. So I bled the brakes today as it had not been done in a couple years. The fluid came out fine, and was discolored, but was not opaque. So I figured this would not fix the problem. Wrong! Took the car down the street and bam, locked them up.

The brake fluid was not that dirty, but apparently just a little can mess up your brakes.

Now I'm just waiting for the cops to come as the neighborhood bitch came out of her house and stared me down for screeching twice. ar15.gif

Ahhhh yes,the Neighborhood Bitch...Every street has one.What kind of fluid did you replace the old stuff with?
patssle
QUOTE(speed metal army @ Sep 26 2010, 02:13 PM) *

Ahhhh yes,the Neighborhood Bitch...Every street has one.What kind of fluid did you replace the old stuff with?

My dad had an unused bottle of Prestone Dot 3 synthetic. I have no idea what was in the car before, so we flushed the entire system.
Tom
Since every neighbor has one, maybe it would be the smart thing to do this where there is not one?!
Can't blame her, she senses a threat to her kids.
Our cars don't need a bad rep!! Find a steach of road where you can do this without offending others.
Tom
patssle
She has no kids, she truly is the nosy evil women of the neighborhood.

Unfortunately there is no way to get out of my neighborhood without hitting a major street. Not taking a car into traffic without tested brakes, even if only at 15 mph.
Cupomeat
Back to the thread, brakes are very picky on fluid.

On my 993, I was getting a sinking pedal as the PC was having issues.
SO, the shop told me to do the following (saving me a $800 MC);

- Flush and Run DOT3 for about 1 month until the pedal stayed hard
- Flush and Run DOT4 for the future
- Flush and Run DOT4 every year.

Amazing, but it worked.
Eric_Shea
Better flush very, very, very well. Mixing fluids causes what I call "caliper worms" (pics to follow). Fluid hardens to a black paste and clogs the internal piston adjusting mechanism's on 914's.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.