Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wont spark!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
unicyclerman
Hey
so i just pulled the engine to replace the transmission main seal and now i have it back in the car and its just not getting any spark. it was running when we took it out and now its not. we have power going to the coil but nothing coming from it. am i in need of a new coil or is there a possible other issue?
Tom
I would check the wiring going to the coil. + power to the + terminal and two wires to the - side( A green to dist and black/red stripe(?) to tach.)
If it was running before and not now, it is probably something you hooked up wrong. So easy to do!
Tom
VaccaRabite
What kind of dizzy? Electronic, or mechanical? If it is an electronic dizzy, you may have inadvertantly burned up the control unit. I did that to mine once.

zach
IronHillRestorations
Did you re-attach the ground strap on the transmission?

Did you connect the 12 pin connector to the relay board correctly?

Check the center contact on the distributor cap, and the rotor.
turnaround89
are all of the leads properly attached to the plugs, or from the coil to the dizzy? I had one lead break at the cylinder 1 plug, thought the motor wasn't imes properly anymore...so we went to time the motor. Hooked up the timing light to cylinder 1 lead and no flashing light coming from the timing gun.
unicyclerman
went to autozone and got a coil... didnt work.so took apart the distributor looks like my pertronix ignition is fried!! and i already have a pertronix coil sitting here that just leaked everywhere and hardly worked. so not verry happy with there products atm.
turnaround89
when i did a complete rewire of my car i accidentally fried the pertronix, thats the only flaw that electronic ignition has in my book. Replaced it and the thing fired right up, time it, and your off to the races. Pretty simple fix, but a little on the expensive side. Supposedly the new ignitor 2 model makes it so it won't fry if you wire it wrong, but thats what i had in before i rewired the car and it definitely fried.
Tom
Here is an easy test to see if it is your coil or petronix. With 12 V to the positive coil terminal and HV lead from dizzy cap placed so you can see a spark, put a jumper on the negative side of the coil and alternately ground and open to ground with the jumper. If you get a spark from the coil's HV lead, then your coil is OK and it is most likely your pertonix. If no spark, your coil is bad and maybe petronix is OK.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.