Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loose front trunk hinges. Is this Normal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yrret7
I removed my front trunk lid to line up the hood better and found that the hinges are very loose. Once the tension of the spring was removed it was even worse. Is this normal? I thought perhaps the bolt was loose but this was not the case. I'm not sure if the hole has increased in size or if the shouldered bolt is worn smaller. Would a washer help ? Anyone had this issue before?

Thanks!!
Cupomeat
welcome.png
Ok, I've never relieved the spring pressure on my front hood, but the hinges do not appear to allow too much lateral play before flexing the metal.

I hope that helps.
Andyrew
Can you get a bolt on it tight?Put a couple of washers on the bolt and see if you can tighten it down. If not, then something is fishy in the hood nut. Post some pics!
TheCabinetmaker
Its been a while, but, I think there is a plastic bushing that the bolt goes thru.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Sep 27 2010, 07:12 AM) *

Its been a while, but, I think there is a plastic bushing that the bolt goes thru.

Steel bolt in a steel hole. Often freezes up from rust. This is a place where there should be a place to lubricate. The bolt head doesn't allow easy lubricating. The hinges are a little loose on the cars I have seen. Better loose than frozen. In the rear the bolts are the same. The part mounted to the car is not as rigid. It is also a little more exposed to the elements and rusts a little faster. These will rust up and rip the bracket off the car.
yrret7
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 27 2010, 05:44 AM) *

Steel bolt in a steel hole. Often freezes up from rust. This is a place where there should be a place to lubricate. The bolt head doesn't allow easy lubricating. The hinges are a little loose on the cars I have seen. Better loose than frozen. In the rear the bolts are the same. The part mounted to the car is not as rigid. It is also a little more exposed to the elements and rusts a little faster. These will rust up and rip the bracket off the car.

There is no rust on it at all. It just seems that the the bolt or the hinge bolt hole has changed in size. If I put a washer on the bolt it would prevent the hinge from moving. The shoulder of the bolt would not touch the bracket on the car. I guess i might have to find new bolts and hinges. I might be able to find the bolts but the hinges????
yrret7
QUOTE(yrret7 @ Sep 27 2010, 07:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 27 2010, 05:44 AM) *

There is no rust on it at all. It just seems that the the bolt or the hinge bolt hole has changed in size. If I put a washer on the bolt it would prevent the hinge from moving. The shoulder of the bolt would not touch the bracket on the car. I guess i might have to find new bolts and hinges. I might be able to find the bolts but the hinges????

The issue is that the hood just about touches the fender on one side and has a half inch gap on the other side. In order to move it over I had to enlarge the holes in the hinges that bolts to the hood. The issue now is the play from the pivot point on the hinge. With the hood off and the spring off there is half an inch play. What to do. ?????
Thanks for all your replys!!!! I will try putting washers tonight and see if it helps.
Bartlett 914
The bolt is special. It is a shoulder bolt. Adding washers will prevent the hinge from operating. The hinge is steel on steel. The diameter is 12mm. Is this the bolt you have? The fit is pretty close. Measure the shoulder diameter on your bolt. It may be worn out. It could also be the hinge hole. There are plenty available. Ask on the parts forum.
Bartlett 914
Here is a better picture of the bolt.
yrret7
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 27 2010, 08:22 AM) *

Here is a better picture of the bolt.

Thats the bolt!!!! I will measure the bolt. Thanks for posting the picture!!!!!!
I'm not sure how to do that yet. I'm a newbee and just bought the 914 le a few months back. The gap is driving me nuts .
A great big thankyou to everyone to all who replyed. !!!!!!!
Spoke
QUOTE(yrret7 @ Sep 27 2010, 11:49 AM) *

The issue is that the hood just about touches the fender on one side and has a half inch gap on the other side. In order to move it over I had to enlarge the holes in the hinges that bolts to the hood. The issue now is the play from the pivot point on the hinge. With the hood off and the spring off there is half an inch play. What to do. ?????
Thanks for all your replys!!!! I will try putting washers tonight and see if it helps.
j

The hinge support plates that the bolts tie into are adjustable. If your hood is low or high some adjustment is had with the support plates.

Show a pic or 2 so we can help you better. We don't like to read around here.
SirAndy
With the spring tension removed, the hinges will feel lose. In fact, even with the springs on them, they will easily move left/right.

That is by design.

If you are having trouble aligning your hood, your problem is most likely elsewhere.

The bolts that hold the hood to the hinges allow for fine adjustment. Also make sure the hinge itself is not bend.

welcome.png Andy
yrret7
QUOTE(Spoke @ Sep 27 2010, 09:29 AM) *

QUOTE(yrret7 @ Sep 27 2010, 11:49 AM) *

j

The hinge support plates that the bolts tie into are adjustable. If your hood is low or high some adjustment is had with the support plates.

Show a pic or 2 so we can help you better. We don't like to read around here.

Thanks for you reply!!! It's all apart now but someone has posted some pictures of the hinge and bolt. The up and down movement of the hood was ok . It's the side to side movement thats not. I have inlarged the holes in the hood to be able to shift it over to the side . The issue I was having was the hinges had a lot of play at the pivot point. Someone just posted after you stated that this is normal. The fender was replaced at some point. It looks like if I can get it centred the gaps will be right. I will find out tonight when I reinstall the hood. I thought the hinges would not have any play!!!! I don't know how to post pictures yet. I will try to figure that tonight.

I'm super impressed buy the amount of help that I have received. What a great group that I joined!!!!!
yrret7
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 27 2010, 09:38 AM) *

With the spring tension removed, the hinges will feel lose. In fact, even with the springs on them, they will easily move left/right.

That is by design.

If you are having trouble aligning your hood, your problem is most likely elsewhere.

The bolts that hold the hood to the hinges allow for fine adjustment. Also make sure the hinge itself is not bend.

welcome.png Andy

Thanks Andy!! One of the hinges had a small bend in it but i removed it. The hood hinges with the springs installed with no hood on seems to pull to the side which is where the hood has about 1/16 of inch clearence. When I reinstall the hood i'm afraid its going to pull the hood over even though i've enlarged the holes and shifted the hood over enough so that it would sit perfect. This would be caused by the play in the hinges. I will know tonight if it works.

Terry
SirAndy
QUOTE(yrret7 @ Sep 27 2010, 11:34 AM) *
Thanks Andy!! One of the hinges had a small bend in it but i removed it. The hood hinges with the springs installed with no hood on seems to pull to the side which is where the hood has about 1/16 of inch clearence. When I reinstall the hood i'm afraid its going to pull the hood over even though i've enlarged the holes and shifted the hood over enough so that it would sit perfect. This would be caused by the play in the hinges. I will know tonight if it works.

Here's what a good body shop would do ...

With the hood firmly attached to the hinges, open the hood all the way and slowly push it from the side (close to the hinges) in the direction you need it to go. Push it further than it needs to go as it will come back towards you. Do this until the hood stays in the right place.

beerchug.gif Andy
swl
Show us the car yrret! wink.gif

here's a link to the pic posting instructions. Make sure the resolution isn't too high. If you have problems I'm sure you could find a geeky neighbor to help smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.