Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone use these tires?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwilner
The PO put some some Kumho Ecsta DOT racing tires on my car which I ran all spring and summer, now it's time to replace them with some street tires.

Right now i'm leaning towards these kumhos for general driving and maybe a DE or two, in 195/65R15 (going onto stock fuchs).

Anyone have experience with these or other tires for this type of use?

Also, does anyone want to pick up the DOT racing tires for a few $$? They still have some life left, i'm not sure if they'd be competitive but they would make great practice rubber at a minimum. (I'll keep them for this if no one wants them).

Thx
Rich
VaccaRabite
I have those on my car now. The work great for cheap street tires.

Zach
Drums66
....The Porsche crowd tell me good things about those shades.gif
that they don't perform cheap! biggrin.gif bye1.gif
VaccaRabite
I am using the 205/60R15s though. Not the 195/65s.

Zach
rwilner
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 27 2010, 02:29 PM) *

Zach

Zach
I was going to go with the 195s because it keeps the speedo more or less correct. Is there much difference with your 205s?
Tom_T
QUOTE(rwilner @ Sep 27 2010, 12:19 PM) *

Zach

Zach
I was going to go with the 195s because it keeps the speedo more or less correct. Is there much difference with your 205s?

Click on 914 Info at the top of this page, then at tire size calculator for the error calc. on any replacement tire size (keep original at 165(/80)"x"R15 ("x" = SR on 1.7/1.8, HR on 2.0 & HR/VR on 914-6's were OE). Rich, IIRC yours is sill a factory 2L - so min. HR speed rated.

FYI - Vredestein, Michelin, Pirelli & some others still make 165SR/HR15 tires in various prices, but they're the vintage narrow type - although they'll get the best gas mileage, less rolling resistance/inertia to get started/accelerate, "0" Zero error, & decent "vintage period level" street handling, while made with modern rubber compounds & construction.
yeahmag
Which DOT-R's do you have? I may be interested in them...

-Aaron
rwilner
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Sep 27 2010, 06:17 PM) *

Which DOT-R's do you have? I may be interested in them...

-Aaron

Kumho Ecsta V700
yeahmag
If they were cheap enough I'd take them. Got any pictures?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(rwilner @ Sep 27 2010, 02:19 PM) *

Zach

Zach

They are just a little wider, and do not through the speedo off too much. I still use GPS for my speedo, though. But my 914 speedo is within 6 or 7 MPH of correct at 65mph. Its close enough for when I do not have my GPS in the car.

The 205s give a real bulgy sidewall look that I like, which was the deciding factor for me. I doubt there is a performance difference between the 195 and the 205 tires.

Zach
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.