Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Coils and plug wires
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Razorbobsr
Hello 914 guys/girls[PC] Is there a type of coil that seems to work best in the 2L? Type of plug wires? Links to such? I want to upgrade both but no little about this type of engine. Bob Arnett
underthetire
Bosch Blue coil and stock Beru wires IMO. Spend the money to convert to electronic ignition. Thats where any performance increase will be if any.
sean_v8_914
I agree with the electronic ignition comment although othres here may debate the improvement of a pertronics or compufire ignition points replacement module.
Bosch stock wires fit nice, work well
Bosch red coil is hotter and requires a ballast resistor.
I like the fit and price of magnacore wires
I dont run fancy plugs
Nology capacitive wires are expensive. I really lilked how they run but have no data to support that "feeling", just the ass dyno and the fact that I like the theory behind them.
I like Jacobs ignition coil set up. must use HV wires

thats kinda in order
our race car runs an optical triggered mallory dizz, 50,000v coil and wires with an AL6 Hyfire cdi box with internal rev limiter with dip switch settings. the spark is so bright you can see it in direct sunlight, like a frikin flame thrower
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(underthetire @ Sep 27 2010, 02:15 PM) *

Bosch Blue coil and stock Beru wires IMO. Spend the money to convert to electronic ignition. Thats where any performance increase will be if any.
Thanks, How hot is too hot for a coil? Trying to run down a miss, gos like snot W/O, misses everywhere else. Bob
underthetire
If it runs good WOT, sounds more like fuel management to me. Anything hotter than a blue coil will require resistors to use electronic ignitions. It all depends on how much $$ you wanna throw at it. Check the mechanical advance in the dizzy as well, Have had a few stuck in motors that have sat.
Razorbobsr
I have the Bosh coil, electronic eng dis, IDF[44] ? Carbs/, syned up, 7/9 lbs of fuel pressure,advance works according to timming light. Next step?? Bob
underthetire
Sorry, can't help with carbs. I'm a FI guy.
Joe Ricard
44 IDF requires 3 to 5 MAX PSI.

Pretty much too big for a 2.0L unless you have lots of cam and head work. Yea sure it will run but it will always be a compromise except at WOT, It will go like hell.
Not much you can throw at it to make it go faster, or run smoother with big carbs. air speed in not high enough to atimize the fuel from the idle circuit.
Tom
agree.gif You probably don't have an ignition problem. Sounds more fuel related with those large carbs. Stock exhaust?
Tom
ME733
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Oct 5 2010, 12:56 PM) *

44 IDF requires 3 to 5 MAX PSI.

Pretty much too big for a 2.0L unless you have lots of cam and head work. Yea sure it will run but it will always be a compromise except at WOT, It will go like hell.
Not much you can throw at it to make it go faster, or run smoother with big carbs. air speed in not high enough to atimize the fuel from the idle circuit.

I think "joe Ricard" has stated your basic problem. If the fuel pressure is too high...It will overide/ depress the float needle and the engine will "flood"'''that is run too rich. It will be most noticable at idle and low RPMS. At W O T not so much. Solution is: lower your fuel pressure to 3-5 psi. Drive the car. you will need to rethink / redo some of Your past adjustments, including your air and main jet sizes. The ignition system you presently have will probably work just fine, once the "too rich" condition is resolved. Additionally you may want to check the carb venturis size., typically 44 webers, have 36mm., you may want to try 34, or 32,s...depending on the camshaft and how you drive or use the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.