Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone Used Jet Hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com
I am thinking about having my Heat Exchangers and Mufflers Jet Hot coated.

Has anyone done this on their Type IV 2.0L? My concern is how does this affect the heat at the heads compared to standard? Will it increase the temps or will they be about the same?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
JamesM
QUOTE(scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com @ Sep 27 2010, 12:31 PM) *

I am thinking about having my Heat Exchangers and Mufflers Jet Hot coated.

Has anyone done this on their Type IV 2.0L? My concern is how does this affect the heat at the heads compared to standard? Will it increase the temps or will they be about the same?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

I have had a set of eurorace headers jet-hot coated. I am not sure how well this would work with stock heat exchangers though as they need to prep and coat the inside and outside of the pipes and with the heat exchangers your pipes are wrapped in the ductwork for your heating system. Even if you did get them coated, your heater would most likely be affected as the point of jet-hot is to keep heat from penertating the pipes, less heat escaping the pipes means less heat in the cabin. If you are just looking to increase durability then find a set of SS heat exchangers as the cost is not much more anyways. The cost to coat my system was over $300 and did turn out to be higher then the original estimate.

SirAndy
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 27 2010, 01:55 PM) *
If you are just looking to increase durability then find a set of SS heat exchangers as the cost is not much more anyways.

agree.gif

More flow, better heat, no rust and about the same expense ...
popcorn[1].gif
That's what I needed to know! Will look into SS.
IronHillRestorations
I'd recommend the Jet-Hot process.

I also prefer the stock h/e's over the aftermarket ones. The stainless ones last longer, but the exhaust flanges are half the thickness and are more problematic than stock ones, as far as getting exhaust leaks.

If I had a real pristine set of stock h/e's I'd go the Jet-hot route.
NC_Colfax
I rode by Jet Hot here in NC last week. I have seen a set of custom Big Block Ford truck headers done. After two years of use and car shows they still look great.
1968Cayman
Had a set of Hedman shorty headers JH coated for a bb 427 straight out of the box. Rust ate its way through within 18 months- though this was in Mobile AL so I can't say for certain that the salt air didn't have an effect.
Tom_T
QUOTE(scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com @ Sep 27 2010, 02:21 PM) *

That's what I needed to know! Will look into SS.

agree.gif ... for a driver - SS HE's are the best way to go, & you can replace the mild steel flanges at the muffler if they're corroded to too thin (as noted above), with new SS Flanges from Engman (a member vendor/banner on here), if you want to cut the old off & reweld the new on (or have it done), then those will outlast you & maybe the 914!

There are several sets FS now/recently in the classifieds on here, 914club, clubNARP, Pelican, TheSambe & eBay, etc. - expect to pay +/- $400-500 for a nice set of used 2.0 SS HE's from what I'm seeing lately.

and ............ welcome.png
carr914
I Jet Hot coated a set of Kerry Hunter Headers. The car later went up in flames, The Headers were the only thing left and they were perfect. I found a local guy that Ceramic coats headers, but Jet-Hot is better quality
Thanks to all the responses!

I have talked to a local Jet Hot supplier and he is going to do this for a fair price. $100 each including the blasting. I will get photos before and after then post them here.

dlee6204
I will get photos before and after then post them here.

Please do. popcorn[1].gif
campbellcj
I have Bursch 914-6 headers that were Jet Hot coated around 6 years ago and have held up beautifully. Turnaround and pricing were very acceptable too.
'73-914kid
I've heard mixed reviews... But I actually have something to back it up with..

My dad's corvette sidepipes were jet-hot coated. This car was never put away wet, and we live in Sunny southern california. It is driven almost every weekend.
Despite this however, rust is starting to eat it's way through the ceramic, which is not at all appealing to the eyes.

Now, the ceramic coating itself has saved my legs from some really bad burns, but it is not as durable as we both wuld have liked.
campbellcj
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Sep 27 2010, 09:50 PM) *

I've heard mixed reviews... But I actually have something to back it up with..

My dad's corvette sidepipes were jet-hot coated. This car was never put away wet, and we live in Sunny southern california. It is driven almost every weekend.
Despite this however, rust is starting to eat it's way through the ceramic, which is not at all appealing to the eyes.

Now, the ceramic coating itself has saved my legs from some really bad burns, but it is not as durable as we both wuld have liked.

Interesting. Obviously nothing can totally prevent mild steel from oxidizing except (possibly) preventing all contact with oxidizers. I thought normally Jet Hot coated the inside as well as the outside so that no air or water should contact the bare metal???
IronHillRestorations
IIRC there's a limit to how long they can reach inside tubing.
I have sent off both of my HX to the coaters. I am going to compare head temps and engine bay temps both before and after.

Overall it should provide better even heating throughout the HX's which will offer before flow.

It should also provide better heating in the cab which I really do not need most of the year.

Update soon!
GeorgeRud
I had them redo my 914-6 heat exchangers. They patched a few thin spots they found and coated them in a timely manner for a reasonable price. Their work seems to be holding up fine.
Mark Henry
I've found that not all ceramic coatings are created equal.
cip1.com mufflers don't last worth a crap and I've seen independent shops coating that were fantastic. Manicuring makes a huge difference, if all the sharp edges, splatter and welds are carefully ground round and/or smooth it does a much nicer job. Sharp/square edges get a very thin coating, just like paint and that's where the rust starts.
IronHillRestorations
Good points Mark.
JamesM
How do you figure it would provide better heating inside the cab? If they coat the pipes properly inside and out down the length of the pipe (including under the air ducting) then the jethot is going to reduce the heat transfer from the exhaust air to the cabin air.

The only way i could see this not affacting the heat is if they just coated the outside of the entire heat exchanger and not the pipes under the ducting which does not make much sense to me as you are not getting any rust protection on the pipes themselves.

Let us know how it turns out.

QUOTE(scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com @ Sep 29 2010, 10:29 AM) *

I have sent off both of my HX to the coaters. I am going to compare head temps and engine bay temps both before and after.

Overall it should provide better even heating throughout the HX's which will offer before flow.

It should also provide better heating in the cab which I really do not need most of the year.

Update soon!
Thanks Mark!

The guy doing my HX and muffler had mentioned it is all in the prep. If you spend a little more time in the beginning it should last a long time.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(JamesM @ Sep 29 2010, 08:54 PM) *

How do you figure it would provide better heating inside the cab? If they coat the pipes properly inside and out down the length of the pipe (including under the air ducting) then the jethot is going to reduce the heat transfer from the exhaust air to the cabin air.

The only way i could see this not affacting the heat is if they just coated the outside of the entire heat exchanger and not the pipes under the ducting which does not make much sense to me as you are not getting any rust protection on the pipes themselves.

Let us know how it turns out.

QUOTE(scott.lingerfelt@gmail.com @ Sep 29 2010, 10:29 AM) *

Update soon!

I will agree that it won't increase heat transfer, but I don't know if it would reduce the heating ability much.
Ceramic coated cools faster than raw steel, but it gets very fuching hot while the engine is running. I have a pretty damn big scar on my inner forearm from touching a ceramic coated header.
Thanks James.

You are correct! It should reduce the heat exchange if they coat the HX as they should. I was thinking of just coating the outside which would create a shell to somewhat contain the heat.

We will see what happens.
IronHillRestorations
I'd get it all coated as good as they can reach with their spray wands. You won't be giving up much heat.
JamesM
I am not to familar with the properties of the different ceramic coatings out there however one of the big selling points(for me anyways) of jet-hot is that is reduces the skin temp of the pipes. They claim the extreme stearling coating can drop skin temps 400 degrees. I dont know if it actaully drops the temps that much, but it does drop them for sure. Before i had my euro race headers coated i was replaceing my clutch cable after evey autocross due to heat damage. The jethot took care of that and cut down the heat under the car pretty drastically.

Do other ceramic coatings have this insulation property or is that a jethot thing?

I will agree that it won't increase heat transfer, but I don't know if it would reduce the heating ability much.
Ceramic coated cools faster than raw steel, but it gets very fuching hot while the engine is running. I have a pretty damn big scar on my inner forearm from touching a ceramic coated header.
rfuerst911sc
On my GT clone with a 3.0 I had my headers ceramic coated locally. I found a shop by doing a search on the net. Per the owner Jet Hot is a " name brand " but the actual coating is purchased commercially from the same vendors. Not sure if true but that's what I was told. Anyway I had the headers coated in silver/chrome color and they look great. I've been running the car since February of this year and they look as good as when freshly coated. And yes the inside and outside were coated. And by using a local business I didn't have to deal with the cost of freight or the possibility of being damaged/lost during shipping. Plus the cost was a little bit cheaper than Jet Hot website stated. Hope this helps.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.