Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AutoX tire pressures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
jt914-6
Alright you autox guys.....I'm going to do an autox this next weekend and I plan on using my Yokohoma Advan A048 road race tires. I figure they are better than the Yokohoma ES 100 street tires I use on the street. I don't autox often and am not going to get autox tires. In fact I haven't done an autox in the 914 in several years, I'm doing DE's with the car. My question is what cold tire pressure front and rear should I start with? Also, I'm picking your brains, only have front sway bar. Leave connected or disconnect? Using adjustable Koni's front and rear. Go all the way soft? Maybe between soft and full hard? (get your mind out of the gutter and after this go to the sandbox).....
The car is a six with flares. 7" fronts/225/50/15 and rears are 8" 225/50/15's. The car weighs about 2250lbs. Any input would be helpful...... beerchug.gif driving.gif
The tires look like this:

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
Never used those tires but I found with my previous 914 that 27lbs was a good place to start and then you could go from there. Have an air tank close in case you need to add some but you may find you need to take more out.

Good luck smile.gif
campbellcj
I would check the Yokohama web site for pressure info. Just keep in mind their recommendations may be for track use. You will not build heat as quickly in autox and probably not as high temps in general, or as much pressure gain as a result.
ConeDodger
Don't you dare unhook your front sway bar. If you had a rear you might hook it up but the jury is about equal on the necessity for that.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Sep 28 2010, 12:25 AM) *

Don't you dare unhook your front sway bar. If you had a rear you might hook it up but the jury is about equal on the necessity for that.

agree.gif
I don't like the rear bars with the 914s and good rubber but a front is a MUST.
sean_v8_914
tire temps will tell you where to set the pressure. measure outer edge, middle and inner edge as soon ass you finish a lap. have a friend do it ASAP.
jt914-6
Thanks for the replys....I'll be doing the autox Sun....just doing it for fun...don't want to look too serious taking tire temps.....just for fun and scare the hell out of my girlfriend who will co-pilot..... icon8.gif
messix
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Sep 28 2010, 08:59 AM) *

agree.gif

"must"????

hahaha...... realy??!!
jt914-6
Had fun at the autox. Didn't scare my girlfriend...though she had taken motion sickness med.....used my track skills with countersteer to correct extreme oversteer in a corner.... driving.gif

Click to view attachment
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(messix @ Oct 2 2010, 09:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Sep 28 2010, 08:59 AM) *

agree.gif

"must"????

hahaha...... realy??!!

Yes, your car is a perfect example of what happens when you don't.

Did you ever buff the road marks off your mirrors? poke.gif
jt914-6
No rear bar....done both and I don't like using a rear bar....surface was a little sandy/slippery.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoCxD9TSxmA
PeeGreen 914
Car looks great out there. No rear bar required wink.gif Troy is just being a smart ass because he doesn't have any bars on his and it sways like a ship in a monsoon.
jt914-6
Thanks....I had not autox'd a 914 since the early 90's....Last autox before last week was three years ago in the '07 Vette...I was about two seconds behind Jay Jackson who was third in FP at the nationals....not bad for a street/DE car on road course tires against a regular autox'er in a all out autox 914....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.