Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire consideration for my LeMons car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LotusJoe
We are again running the 24hrs of LeMons at Button Willow in December. I have a set of Panasport Wheels 7 X 15. What would be the smallest width I can run on that rim. 205/50 X 15?? Rules restrict tires to street only.

Or should I consider running a staggered setup 205/50 X15 on 7" rims on the rear and 185/60 X15 on 5 1/2" rims on the front??

Click to view attachment

strawman
Off topic, but I'll be co-driving Team Tinyvette #8 at Buttonwillow on Dec 4-5. It is a 1969 Opel GT that was built to look kinda like a miniature ALMS Corvette. We're slow, but we'll have fun (again). Last I heard, over 180 teams are signed up!
DanT
sorry 2x post sad.gif
DanT
a narrow bodied, stock motored 914 is going to run better with a square setup...
same size front and rear.
205x50x15s on the 5.5s or 7s will work fine...I would not run skinny tires up front.
Your only ace in the hole is your ability to corner at a high rate of speed.
If you go to larger rear tires than front, you will cause the car to push and or not be able to get the back end to come around when you want it to.

two pics...first is car on 205x50 street tires on 5.5" rims
second is 205x50s DOT Rs on 7" rims

go square, don't stagger.

Falken Azenis 615s or Dunny Direzza star specs would be great tires for your purpose....
VaccaRabite
That looks like a serious car for LeMons. Did they get rid of the $500 rule? IE, they can buy your car on the spot for $500.

Zach
ME733
.YOU can get 205 -50-15 tires on stock rims, and fit under the fenders...this will lower the car .5 to 1.5 inches over taller tires, and lower the rollcenter,increase aero-dynamitics,improve handling, lighten tire weight, (unsprung weight).. and shorten up some of the "tall gears"....And...by having just one size tire , having spares will be less hassle., as mentioned , you want all four cornors to have the same size tire...shorter is better.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 29 2010, 07:07 AM) *

That looks like a serious car for LeMons. Did they get rid of the $500 rule? IE, they can buy your car on the spot for $500.

Zach

Zach you can't be talking about this car?

Click to view attachment

It is a rolling rust bucket that has been patched together like a quilt.
LotusJoe
QUOTE(ME733 @ Sep 29 2010, 01:14 PM) *

.YOU can get 205 -50-15 tires on stock rims, and fit under the fenders...this will lower the car .5 to 1.5 inches over taller tires, and lower the rollcenter,increase aero-dynamitics,improve handling, lighten tire weight, (unsprung weight).. and shorten up some of the "tall gears"....And...by having just one size tire , having spares will be less hassle., as mentioned , you want all four cornors to have the same size tire...shorter is better.

I'm going to go with the 205/50 15 on the 7" Panasport Rims. I agree that one size all around saves on spares.
I found 205/50-15 NITTO NTNEO "NEO GEN" 89V for $59.00 each locally.
Thanks for all the input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.