Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time for a new steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
Had a lot of fun autocrossing yesterday. I did spin the car once, and that's what prompted this post. Going from lock-opposite-lock I actually spun the horn-hub off the wheel. So, it goes something like this:
1) Whoah, I'm too hot...
2) get loose
3) opposite lock
4) reverse-opposite lock
5) both feet in, spinning like a top
6) horn hub spinning in mid-air like a helicopter rotor, apexing at eye-level where it seems to hang for a moment spinning in front of my face.
7) Driver regains focus and motors out of dust/smoke cloud after throwing horn hub out of my lap.

The painted Porsche crest spinning in front of my face was quite distracting (but I was proud of myself for getting my feet in and keeping the motor running).

I've been wanting a smaller wheel for some time now. This event was just one more incentive to move on it. Any tips on what you like vs. what to stay away from? I wouldn't mind the wheel being placed and inch or two closer. I've already got a deep seat and do plan to eventually cage the car. What diameter should I shoot for? (the stock wheel is defineitely TOO BIG).

-Ben M.
seanery
I've got about 10 or so steering wheels around here. I like the factory wheel very much. I have one in leather, wood & plastic. I use the wood one. I also have some racing wheels. I like a racing wheel in a real race car, I think they are a bit too small and cover up necessary gauges in a street car. The leverage the larger wheel provides is nice when parallel parking.

my 2 cents.
anthony
You can always try a different horn pad.
Aaron Cox
i thought those were made of "unobtainium"
dinomium
I really like my Momo To Power... I got the 350mm size (13.8in) and it doesnt block out that much.
STL914
Anthony,

Were does one find that round horn pad? Is that from a 911?
Bleyseng
Ben, I have this Momo wheel that is great for AXing but sucks when I park the car. I don't look at the gauges anyway.

Geoff
markb
QUOTE(anthony @ Apr 18 2004, 11:07 AM)
You can always try a different horn pad.

This is what I went with. Off a 911.
J P Stein
I use a Momo....Monte Carlo, I think. 12 in. Hay, this old fart can muscle 225s around with it.....if ya can't ya must be a buncha' candy asses laugh.gif

Gauges? what gauges? Never see em' no more & don't miss em.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.