Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RonnieJ
The sealant on my relay board in the engine compartment is getting old and crumbling on the underside...what is used to reseal it?
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Sep 28 2010, 07:35 AM) *

The sealant on my relay board in the engine compartment is getting old and crumbling on the underside...what is used to reseal it?

There is a thread on RoadGlue on this. I have seen the material and is an perfect match. It flows pretty freely. Be sure to plug the relay sockets.
Relay board sealant thread
RonnieJ
Looks like the model cast is the way to go. Thanks for the info.
JeffBowlsby
Model Cast is a polyurethane...aren't polyurethanes hygroscopic (they absorb moisture?) I would think thats the wrong material to use for this purpose, regardless of how it looks.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 28 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Model Cast is a polyurethane...aren't polyurethanes hygroscopic (they absorb moisture?) I would think thats the wrong material to use for this purpose, regardless of how it looks.

I didn't see that it is polyurethane. Where did you get that? It is a 2 component casting material. The finished product looks exactly like the original. I am sure it is different but looking at it it looks real nice. Glenn has used it a number of times without problems.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we use 3-m "windo- weld" urethane. It is 08609
QUOTE(RonnieJ @ Sep 28 2010, 05:35 AM) *

Tom_T
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Sep 28 2010, 07:54 AM) *

So Jeff, I was going to jump in & tell him to contact you for what you showed me that you use on them - so what was that stuff, just tar again?

IIRC you're right about the urethanes, which is why it holds moisture in the body cavities where similar products were used on our 914s - like at the sail/fender junctures! dry.gif

So George's suggestion may not be much better for attracting moisture, than the Model Cast.

IMHO - if not original spec bituminous tar - then if anything, a flexible liquid rubber or sealant type product may be the best alternative, if it dries solid & won't be too runny to stay in the tray bottom during "casting" of it.
Drums66
...A type of potting material(not soil) poke.gif
wurth maybe?? idea.gif bye1.gif

looks like tar
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Sep 28 2010, 08:39 AM) *

I didn't see that it is polyurethane. Where did you get that? It is a 2 component casting material. The finished product looks exactly like the original. I am sure it is different but looking at it it looks real nice. Glenn has used it a number of times without problems.

I just did a quick google search and found these:

http://www.glenmarc.com/VAGABOND%20MODEL-CAST_CAT_2010.pdf

Any corrosion effects of moisture absorption to the circuitry/conenctions over time would be concealed under the coating. Same problem as the original bituminous coating.
andys
What the Vagabond tech sheet is refering to is each component's sensitivity to moisture before they're mixed together. This is common with two-component polyurethane casting materials. Optimally you'd evacuate the mixture before casting to remove entrapped air and moisture.

Andys
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(andys @ Sep 28 2010, 02:56 PM) *

What the Vagabond tech sheet is refering to is each component's sensitivity to moisture before they're mixed together. This is common with two-component polyurethane casting materials. Optimally you'd evacuate the mixture before casting to remove entrapped air and moisture.

Andys

That is how I read it. Once it is cured, it is pretty hard. The worst thing to use would be RTV. This out gasses corrosive gas. It also absorbs moisture.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.