Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering knuckle, front hub from 944
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikea100
Just wondering if it's possible for DIYer to install steering knuckle and front hub from 944. Will I need control arm from 944 also? Has it been done?
Thanks in advance,
Mike
dr914@autoatlanta.com
no and no totally different setup

QUOTE(mikea100 @ Sep 28 2010, 01:24 PM) *

Just wondering if it's possible for DIYer to install steering knuckle and front hub from 944. Will I need control arm from 944 also? Has it been done?
Thanks in advance,
Mike

mikea100
Thanks George,
The reason I was asking about the hub is that I have a pair of Brembo calipers from 968. Is there any way I can use them in 914?
Thanks,
Mike

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 28 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Thanks in advance,
Mike

bdstone914
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Sep 28 2010, 04:07 PM) *

Thanks George,
The reason I was asking about the hub is that I have a pair of Brembo calipers from 968. Is there any way I can use them in 914?
Thanks,
Mike

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Sep 28 2010, 05:32 PM) *

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Yes you can use them. You have three different methods.

You could go 5 lug with a later 911 SC suspension with 3.5" spacing on the struts caliper ears. Then redrill the current hole spacing from 3.7 to 3.5 on the caliper. (have a machinist do this) There is plenty of material to do this mod, some people dont agree with it.
OR

if you want to stick with stock suspension, you will have to go with a set of monoblock adapters, a few places make them will cost you around 150 a set. You then also have to machine off the caliper ears so you can bolt on the adapters (more $$) Then you will also need to figure out a rotor setup, since I believe all 968 calipers are vented, you then have to figure out how to get a 911 rotor on a 914 strut (even more $$$)

The other option is a combination of the two above, you buy a 3" 911 suspension (70-75ish) Then do the monoblock adapters. 911 suspension is already setup for a 911 rotor so it makes it all alot easier smile.gif

Before you start dropping $$$$ on a project, figure out what you want to do with the car and buy accordingly.

Another thing to note is what wheels you are going to run. You can fit 16in fuchs over 968 brakes for sure. 15in wheels get close so someone will have to chime in if they fit.
Mark Henry
Lanner can adapt almost anything http://vdubengineering.com/
jt914-6
I bought my set up from Rich Johnson. The front struts were adapted to use C2/Brembo calipers. I'm also using the Carrera rotors......

Click to view attachment
jaxdream
IIRC the Carrera rotor is 24mm wide versus the SC rotor being 20mm wide = being lighter than the Carrera rotor , someone please correct me if I be wrong . I was looking at a set of 944 turbo calipers I have and wondering if having the inside surface where the calipers are bolted together machined down to shrink them down to use on SC rotors , trim the bolts down accordingly shrink the crossover tube down as needed , have the bolt pattern redone for 3.5 inch spacing and whala have a set of 4 piston aluminim calipers for the front to use on the SC rotors for an unsprung weight reduction aktion035.gif . Does this sound cocked eyed ??? confused24.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
charliew
Jack aren't you a suby guy? Will the sti brembos get close to fitting the 911 struts? I think they are easier to come by for me. I have thought about studying them every time I look at my son's car but never really got into it as they really look like too much brake for the 914.
d914
The SC rotor will work...there is a safety factor based on the difference of the rotors... As along as you dont wear down the pads to metal..no issue.. If you wear them down too far theory has it you could loose a piston on over travel.. Ran this way on the old track car.... but never even got close to wearing out the pads..
nsyr
i know i am going to get blasted for this. but can you cut off the mounts then weld on fabricated mounting ears to the struts?
Eric_Shea
Jack's idea would be the cleanest and would save 10lbs. in unsprung rotor weight on a lightweight car that doesn't need a 24mm rotor (or these calipers for that matter). 2mm off each surface oughta do it.

Now... whatcha gonna do out back? What handbrake? Someone just poured 20w/50 on your slippery slope. I do believe your new brake setup is now weighing in at the co$t of your average 914. wink.gif

mikea100
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2010, 11:37 AM) *

Jack's idea would be the cleanest and would save 10lbs. in unsprung rotor weight on a lightweight car that doesn't need a 24mm rotor (or these calipers for that matter). 2mm off each surface oughta do it.

Now... whatcha gonna do out back? What handbrake? Someone just poured 20w/50 on your slippery slope. I do believe your new brake setup is now weighing in at the co$t of your average 914. wink.gif

Eric,
You're right, t's way over my head technically and financially. I was looking for a bolt-on solution for a pair of nice front calipers that I have. I guess it's not meant to be, so I'll use'em on mine 924s instead.
Thanks,
Mike
jt914-6
As far as the 968 calipers go....My C2 front and C2 Turbo rear calipers clear 15" Fuchs and BBS wheels....just by a frog's hair.....
scotty b
QUOTE(mikea100 @ Sep 29 2010, 08:00 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 29 2010, 11:37 AM) *

Eric,
You're right, t's way over my head technically and financially. I was looking for a bolt-on solution for a pair of nice front calipers that I have. I guess it's not meant to be, so I'll use'em on mine 924s instead.
Thanks,
Mike

They aren't a bolt on and go on a 924 either. The ears will need to be machined in the front to fit properly. The rears will need a spacer aded to work properly. I have been throught this already with my 944 and 968 calipers. The fornts will also require changing the spindle to a turbo setup as it is different from a on turbo car. Much aesier than putting them on a 914, but still not a straight forward bolt on. Remember EVERYTHING on the turbo braking system is larger and needs clearances for the parts. Rotor, caliper etc.
jaxdream
QUOTE(charliew @ Sep 29 2010, 07:02 AM) *

Jack aren't you a suby guy? Will the sti brembos get close to fitting the 911 struts? I think they are easier to come by for me. I have thought about studying them every time I look at my son's car but never really got into it as they really look like too much brake for the 914.

Nope ,not a suby and haven't looked at the STI brembos either, just happen to have a set of 944 turbo calipers ( frt and bk ) I got off of the evil bay place some years ago before I got here and learned about the different rotor thicknesses and mounting setups. I also got a set of 88 944 turbo spindles off of the evil place also for the very idea this gent is proposing . I studied the strut setup , figured if you attached a mounting setup on a 914 / 911 strut body similar to what the 944 spindle uses for mountig , it would work as far as mouning goes , but then you have the wheel offset to consider and the balljoint setup to mod. So I looked at the balljoint availability from the evil place ( I go there to see what's available and to see pictures of the various things that comes off of cars versus trying to find a salvage yard to do some prospecting in as the area I live it's chevy , ford , dodge country - no furhners ) anywho , it could possibly be done by attaching the balljoint to the A-arm instead of using the 914/ 911 balljoint setup , couldn't get a measurement on the difference between the 14/11 and 944 diameters. That would leave the geometry setup of the spindle angle , the height of the spndle centerline from the ground , use the torsion bar setup for the springs , 914/911 srtut insert for the shock effect . But all this is rambling musuing as I shelved the idea for now. But I do still want to do the turbo caliper thing in the future as for now I will probably run the A calipers I have after rebuild , don't have the bucks to redo my S's I have ( not real bad condition ) but the 944 spindle thing could be an alternative to do for a different setup , maybe fab up in a duel uneven A-arm setup as some folks have done to the ford T-Bird rear arms for independent rear setups on other cars ( KITS ) . I don't know if my ramblings have added anything to this thread , but I too have thought of the 944 spndle thing also . Good luck with what you come up with , just about anything is possible just need $$$$$$$$$$$.

Jack / Jaxdream
Eric_Shea
At least you used periods jack lol3.gif
jaxdream
Thanks Eric , I don't get out much , this is my biggest contact with the ouside world, save for wallyworld ,kroger , walgreens, damn near a hermit .I usually don't do whole lot of posting . Just when something comes up that I'm interested in and have thought of myself will I chime in . biggrin.gif

Jack / Jaxdream
jt914-6
QUOTE(jaxdream @ Oct 1 2010, 06:34 PM) *

Thanks Eric , I don't get out much , this is my biggest contact with the ouside world, save for wallyworld ,kroger , walgreens, damn near a hermit .I usually don't do whole lot of posting . Just when something comes up that I'm interested in and have thought of myself will I chime in . biggrin.gif

Jack / Jaxdream

Sounds like you need to get out and come to the MUSR 11....make some 914/human contact..... driving.gif
jaxdream
Would love to , but funds are not available this year , perhaps next year will be there . John Greir done hit me up to go , him and his brother live not too far from me ( Nashville ) both are avid 914 owners, they should be there , good guys both of them .
Back to the cave !!!

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.