Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear Window Install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cambo
Removed rear window to re-seal it. Have the window out now. Couple questions.

Butyl tape is out but it left bullet proof gunk behind on the bottom and sides. Top came out with nothing left behind. What's the best way to remove the gunk without scraping off the paint?

Also have lots of gunk on the window. Best way to clean it without scratching it?

Lastly, looks like the engine lid-to-window seal could use replacing. Can that be done with the window in place? Don't want to have the car sit while waiting for a new seal, it's going wine tasting on Friday...

Thanks.

Oh, 5/16 butyl tape right?
Tom_T
Mineral Spirits to remove the butyl on glass, maybe okay if careful on paint, but test it first to see if it lifts/bubbles any paint, & then remove it & wipe off with "low-test" isoprpyl rubbing alcohol to remove residue. Otherwise heat gun & careful scraping with a plastic bladed scraper on the paint, but still be careful.

Engine to rear window seal is easiest with window out, but wine tasting could be done with temp plastic in there to keep engine bay fumes & heat out (heavy duty thick drop cloth stuff). biggrin.gif

IIRC it's 5/16, but someone else can confirm, in case my half-zymers has kicked in! blink.gif

PS - make sure you hold onto the little rubber spacer blocks that sometimes get caught in the old butyl (see 914 PET parts diagram for p/n & look/placement, & shop manual or Haynes for reinstall placement).
Drums66
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 28 2010, 02:00 PM) *

Mineral Spirits to remove the butyl on glass, maybe okay if careful on paint, but test it first to see if it lifts/bubbles any paint, & then remove it & wipe off with "low-test" isoprpyl rubbing alcohol to remove residue. Otherwise heat gun & careful scraping with a plastic bladed scraper on the paint, but still be careful.

Engine to rear window seal is easiest with window out, but wine tasting could be done with temp plastic in there to keep engine bay fumes & heat out (heavy duty thick drop cloth stuff). biggrin.gif

IIRC it's 5/16, but someone else can confirm, in case my half-zymers has kicked in! blink.gif

PS - make sure you hold onto the little rubber spacer blocks that sometimes get caught in the old butyl (see 914 PET parts diagram for p/n & look/placement, & shop manual or Haynes for reinstall placement).

i AGREE WIT tOM t..........but.......only cork wine no bottle caps!!!!!!!!! poke.gif
Cambo
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Sep 28 2010, 02:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 28 2010, 02:00 PM) *

i AGREE WIT tOM t..........but.......only cork wine no bottle caps!!!!!!!!! poke.gif

Where's the cork on a cardboard box of Franzia????
Jeffs9146
I like to put a small bead of black calking just above where the butyl tape is on the bottom of the glass to fill the air gap and keep the water from getting behind the rubber seal and causing rust! This is something I have done on at least 3 of my cars!

You can see the air gap in this photo that I borowed from an old thread!

Rear Window Repair Thread

Eric_Shea
That's what this seal is for...

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
I just removed the hardened butyl from my windshield flange.

Nothing was going to take this out scraping. I tried several other methods and rubs including mineral spirits. My windshield was out for the first time in 35 years when Scott Yeaman took it out. It still had the VW emissions sticker required in California in place.

I took my Dremel with an abrasive wheel and ripped and gouged it out. Of course this left a bare metal channel that had to be repainted. I had a rattle can of Diamond Silver Metallic made up at my local paint supply a year or so back and after careful masking I primed and painted it. Here is the result and a picture of the abrasive buff. About an inch in diameter. It took 9 of these abrasive buffs to do the windshield flange.

5/16" is the proper size as well. I just confirmed this by text message with McMark yesterday.
Jeffs9146
That's what this seal is for...

That seal doesn't keep water from leaking down the corners and sitting on top of the butyl. That is where 90% of the rear window leaks are found!

I place a bead of black calk just below that seal and run it from corner to corner where your green line is. Then you don't need the electrical tape to block the view of your painted surface!
McMark
Don't forget the strip of electrical tape that goes along the bottom of the windshield to hide that band of yellow. Yes, it's the way the factory did it.
Cambo
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2010, 03:54 PM) *

Don't forget the strip of electrical tape that goes along the bottom of the windshield to hide that band of yellow. Yes, it's the way the factory did it.

I know...kinda funny that the factory used electrical tape. Or should we call it "trim on a roll"?

Thanks for all the advice guys...
Krieger
I spray paint the frame black before I glue in that rear window. biggrin.gif
Black22
I have always used a NEW razor blade to clean any gunk of my glass. A sharp blade will never scratch the glass if the surfaces are parallel. Just don't use the blade like you would a knife to cut a steak. I think is is way easier and not as messy as chemicals. IMHO.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Black22 @ Sep 28 2010, 06:58 PM) *

I have always used a NEW razor blade to clean any gunk of my glass. A sharp blade will never scratch the glass if the surfaces are parallel. Just don't use the blade like you would a knife to cut a steak. I think is is way easier and not as messy as chemicals. IMHO.

agree.gif Just scrape the window with a single edge razor to clean off the gunk.
McMark
I use a quintuple edge razor blade. More challenging...

I need another beer: beerchug.gif
nsr-jamie
While you are at it you may also want to renew your rear window seal to engine compartment lid (on the outside)...my seal was toast and when I redid my rear window last year I bought the seal from Mikey 914 for very cheap (15-20 dollars forgot) and installed that and it really looked good...I have some pictures of the before/after on my little blog in Japan if you scroll down a bit.
jaxdream
Why not just run another bead of Butyl tape across the gap just below where the rubber seal would contact the glass??? Iwould believe that would seal up pretty good .
My $ .02 ......

Jack / Jaxdream
Drums66
QUOTE(Cambo @ Sep 28 2010, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 28 2010, 03:54 PM) *

I know...kinda funny that the factory used electrical tape. Or should we call it "trim on a roll"?

Thanks for all the advice guys...

....1969 maybe idea.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.