Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: changing/repairing sixes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MiddleMan
Okay, so there is a 914/6 listed just down the road from me (craigslist), and in fact I see it's also been listed here (914/6).

The seller described it's non-running state as being caused by a broken piston.

Some questions:
- I've read a lot of negative things about the 2.7 motor, so I presume that it would be pretty expensive and somewhat risky to attempt a rebuild?

- since it's already converted to run a 6, how straightforward would it be to drop in a 6 of a different vintage (i.e., a 3.0)?

- In your opinion ( stirthepot.gif ), what is a more realistic value for this car?

Thanks.
Mark Henry
Would need better pictures, it's not a real /6 . How was the conversion done? Quick six bar and a 911 tank hacked in or does it have the correct parts and tank? Big difference.
I has no front cooler, 4-lug wheels and stock brakes.
Project car for sure.

2.7 can be done nice, but broke piston means a full rebuild, expensive.
3.0 is different flywheel and clutch, so a bit more involved than just dropping one in.

You really should have a PPI done before jumping in.
MiddleMan
Thanks. Yes, forgot to mention that seller states the conversion was done ~5 years ago. Presumably not by him as he seems to turn over a lot of cars.

Don't know about the tank or other parts.

Some extra pics...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
pete-stevers
looks good to me, check the engine attachement ...better if it has a welded mount
and go for a 3.0.
Eric_Shea
Do what you want to it. Perfect car to play with. Looks like a factory-ish tank ($800). 2.7 can be just fine if built properly. I saw this and it seemed like the sum of the parts is greater than the asking price (unless it's a rotten tub). Hard to go wrong.

Agree with Mark though... have someone take a look. I nominate... hmmmmmmm, thinking...
Britain Smith
Hint Hint...I have a 2.7L Engine for sale that would slide right in there and give you miles of smiles smile.gif

-Britain
tradisrad
This is Dereck's car in Palo Alto. I've seen it, but did not take a through look. As I recall the body was in good shape and I did not see any major rust, but I did not look at the longs. He did not do the conversion himself and it did run for him at one time. I also think the engine had a quick 6 bar. Not the cleanest conversion.
If you dont work on cars you may want to find one that is sorted out.
I have dealt with Dereck on several occasions and I think he is a stand up kind of guy and would not intentionaly screw someone.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.