Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Subaru electrical system and water
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
I have a feeling that this is an electrical issue, given the 3.5 inches of rain we are getting right now.

2004 Outback Sport with the 2.5L non-turbo engine.

I am sick, took off work, got in car to go to the doctors. It started fine. As I started to drive, the car had NO power. As soon as the engine gets some load, it is falling on its face. It feels like my old VW felt with a cracked coil case when it got wet.

Is this common at all? It is throwing codes, but I have no way to go anywhere to see what they are. Walking to the parts store with a "I feel lucky" hunch is not even possible what with the torrents of rain and my being sick.

Zach
plas76targa
bye1.gif Hi Zach!

My guess: moisture in the distributor cap
VaccaRabite
The good news is that the rain is supposed to be gone tomorrow, which will make it a great day for the 914 - which it looks like I will be driving.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(plas76targa @ Sep 30 2010, 12:03 PM) *

bye1.gif Hi Zach!

My guess: moisture in the distributor cap

Dizzy does not have a cap, per sey. Its all electronic. no clue how it works, but water getting in it would have a similar effect, I am sure.

Zach
okieflyr
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Sep 30 2010, 01:00 PM) *

I have a feeling that this is an electrical issue, given the 3.5 inches of rain we are getting right now.

2004 Outback Sport with the 2.5L non-turbo engine.

I am sick, took off work, got in car to go to the doctors. It started fine. As I started to drive, the car had NO power. As soon as the engine gets some load, it is falling on its face. It feels like my old VW felt with a cracked coil case when it got wet.

Is this common at all? It is throwing codes, but I have no way to go anywhere to see what they are. Walking to the parts store with a "I feel lucky" hunch is not even possible what with the torrents of rain and my being sick.

Zach

Zach,
Buy at least a basic OBDII scanner. It should point you directly to the problem if it is throwing codes. Besides, you could use it your other modern cars as well.
I can loan you mine, but the distance may be an issue.. Hope you feel better barf.gif
tradisrad
I doubt it is water in the coil pack.
An OBD 2 reader can be bought fairly cheap. I got mine off of craigslist for $50. If you also have a modern VW you may want to get one that does the VAG-COM as well as the OBD2.

W/o the obd2 we can only speculate on what is wrong, but with the obd2 you will have your problem pin pointed. Overall poor performance my first guess is fuel delivery. Perphaps a bad ground... but you know this stuff.

hope you feel better. My employer is having a flu shot day and we are all getting our shots.

Andyrew
I was working on my ECU on the Audi over the course of a period of time and had the rain cover off.. It started raining for a couple days out of the blue and my car shut down on me.. Towed it home, swapped ecu's and it was fine...

Needless to say, Keep the ECU rain cover on!! biggrin.gif
underthetire
You can buy OBD2 cables for your laptop on evilbay pretty darn cheap, then use the diagnostic software they will give you the link to. Is it possible you just got water in the fuel? Hope you feel better.
jsayre914
bye1.gif
I guess we are all in the same boat lol, i just opend the rain thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.