Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Questions about tech at WCC AX
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Heard a rumor Securing a battery with the stock clip and bolt to a stock battery tray welded to the inner fender well would not be adequate and a metal strap over the battery would be required. Is this so?

Also I heard cast aluminum wheels were not acceptable because of a higher rate of failure.

WE need to know if changes will have to be made. Hate to drive all the way down and have to watch. Besides you guys need to see the show I can put on. I can be entertaining. ohmy.gif

Dave
Brad Roberts
Dave.. if you have a stock battery hold down in place you will be fine.

You are standing a chance that one of the club members here will be tech'ing the cars.

I cant speak about the wheels.. but I HIGHLY doubt their will be an issue.

The tech'ing will be based on your license plate (meaning that out of state people will get a unspoken *easier* tech) The last GGR event (Alameda) they are checking basically for pieces of shit that will break in a corner. Not nice cars like yours. If the wheel bearings are tight and the battery has a decent hold down.. your IN.

Side note: they let people slide with *slightly* loose 914 rear wheel bearings since some of the new ones may have play in them.

B
Mueller
i have yet to hear of a failed wheel during auto-x, I'm sure it's happened and someone will correct me I am sure, but to me, wheel failure is more likely to happen on the road with huge potholes and other obsticles.

i think what is going on is some of the Porsche "purist" get bent out of shape when someone mentions a cast wheel and then say's "get a Fuch, they are forged and the best" Mostly this happens when a 4-lug Fuch knockoff is talked about

....it seems that someone says that the cast wheel is excatly the same thickness and overall dimensions of the forged wheel and that a cast wheel "has" to be thicker than the forged original..well, yes is should be, but is it just an assumption that the cast Fuch-knockoff is 100% identical??

guess what? I've got a broken forged Fuch in my garage with no visible signs that it hit a curb or anything.

Another thing, not many wheels are forged at all, if cast wheels are not allowed, then you'd piss off everyone running 944, 951, 911, 993 and 996 rims smile.gif
nine14cats
Hi Dave,

I tech occasionally for GGR events (which the WCC will be running with for the 914club Auto-X).

Cast wheels are okay. You need in no particular order:

*Battery cannot be lose. Must have the stock hold down or better. Duct tape not okay.
*Seat belts
*Tires cannot show cords
*No gross fluid leaks (dirty engines and road grime okay). Basically we check to see that the brake fluid and engine/tranny fluid are not pouring out of the car.
*Tight wheel bearings
*No loose body or mechanical pieces that will fly off and kill a course worker.

For personal protection you just need a snell 95 helmet or a motorcyle helmet. It can be open or closed faced. You can also borrow one at the event if you don't want to pack one.

Hope that helps!

Bill P.
mikester
I've got two broken fuchs in my garage with no other signs of damage.

So there.
DNHunt
Good, Sounds like up here. Maybe they just thought I needed special requirements cause of the entertaining circumstances I seem to find myself in occasionally. Or maybe they were just pullin my leg.

Dave
seanery
mike those are forged, not cast! laugh.gif
Mueller
951 Phonedials are cast......those are the rims I ran on my 914 for a while (16x7 and 16x8).......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.