Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sorry im new, got a car with no engine wiring hooked up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
surfaccing
ok so i ended up buying a 1976 2L 914-4 with a complete chalon body kit
the motor and transmission had been removed and the battery box area had all ready been removed of the rust issue!

anyways, i wanna reassemble the FI on the car but im not quite sure how to do that, and i need to re connect the entire engine harness back up

i have the motor and transmission on a bench and i have the red box with the entire engine harness on it, im just lost with were all the wire hook up to. i know they go to sensors but were are all the sensors?

just so u guys now, im 18years old (19 in december) i've owned a 1972 standard vw beetle for 3years, and it's been modified into a baja by me and im pretty good at working on the bug, but the 914 is a little more complex and i need a diagram that shows were all the sensors and what what hooks up to what.

thanks. sorry i couldn't find a link to anything like this on search.

ill post pictures up tomorrow
Steve
welcome.png
First thing I would do is pick up a Haynes manual for the 914. I bought my first 914 when I was 19 and I am now 50 years old. I did everything on that car with that Haynes Manual. Otherwise someone might be able to find you a link for the original color wiring diagrams.
surfaccing
QUOTE(Steve @ Oct 1 2010, 12:10 AM) *

welcome.png
First thing I would do is pick up a Haynes manual for the 914. I bought my first 914 when I was 19 and I am now 50 years old. I did everything on that car with that Haynes Manual. Otherwise someone might be able to find you a link for the original color wiring diagrams.

im still looking for a haynes manual. i have a wiring harness, cause i bought a little pocket book...
peter r.d. russek
vw/porsche
914/4
1.7 and 2L
repair guide

it has a harness in it, but im can't really match up the wires that i have to the ones in the guide.
im in the process of re-wiring my baja from scratch and all by myself (after 2years of research) i was able to get the motor to work properly and all the lights working smile.gif
but this 914 wirring is a little more complex then the simple harness i put together.
surfaccing
i found the add to the 914 that i bought, and it was posted on this site.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/lofiversion/i...php?t98257.html
silver74insocal
http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

your new favorite website biggrin.gif welcome the madness. theres plenty more info there you will need .good luck
blitZ
Welcome to the forum.

You don't need an engine as long as it can sit on jackstands without breaking in half, you should be fine.
rick 918-S
welcome.png Someone could maybe post a photo of their harness and how it is connected. I can't as I have no engines with the harness still connected.
poorsche914
This diagram helped me a lot. It is for a '73 but I believe the '76 is very similar if not the same.

IPB Image

driving.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif welcome.png

Nice diagram..
Cupomeat
welcome.png
You sound like me, only 23 years ago.
When I was 17 I found a basket case 914 (sitting for 7 yrs) and had to figure out the wiring/how the pieces fit together and all that stuff coming from a background of VW beetles.

I got it running/on road in 2 months and still have that car today, 23 yrs later. I made a lot of mistakes which I learned from each one!

Funny, as I can't seem to figure why I didn't join the 914world back then... LOL!!!

(PERSON IN 1987) - "Internet, WHAT IS AN INTERNET"? (BTW, it existed in 1987, but only for the US military) - Hell, Al Gore hadn't invented it yet, I guess.

I agree with the Haynes and keep the FI if you can. Pparts website has a bunch of good wiring diagrams for the FI. Don't be dismayed that you car isn't as fast at the drag strip as your Mom's Camry, as you'll find the joy will be in the corners. first.gif

Don't be afraid to dive in and we are here to help!

type47
I agree with the above to find the Pelican Parts electrical diagrams. If you can read those, then you can figure out the wiring harness connections. Second, you can find the Jeff Bowlsby site and he has diagrams of the harness and I think the connections are identified.
cary
If you can afford it. Buy 2. One for the garage and one for bedside reading.
Just my .02c.
FourBlades
Here is the link to the pelican parts eletrical diagrams:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

John
surfaccing
thanks for all the helps guys!

and no worries i know how fast this cars is, well i know how fast my single carb 1600cc dual port type 1 in a vw bug is. im just hopping for some extra power off the line and ill be happy smile.gif
hell i should have at least 88hp -100hp with this type 4 2L motor instead of the 60hp in the type 1 1.6L
im just happy to have a mid engine car now

no worries, as soon as i get the bug im working on running, ill be diving right into getting this 914 running.
i have to get a new starter for my bug, then a baja kit for the front end, then hook up the headlights, then the signals and bam im good to go
did i mention im just finishing up a scratch electrical harness for this bug. the only thing is i took out all the unneccesary bits like relays and extra switches. gotta say i have about 1/3 less the wires and all im missing is the dome light on the interior and my radio
surfaccing
quick question. on my baja bug im running a stinger with no baffel and i love how loud the car is! puts all the v6 ricers to shame

i would like to run a similar exhaust system with the 914, are their any headers out their that i could possibly run this system or would their not be enough back pressure and end up blowing a valve.
i saw that most 914 run a megaphone but really $100 for a exhaust? plus the headers
bcheney
Jeff Bowlsby is the 914 community's resident ghuru for fuel injection advice. He is a fantastic guy who is always willing to help anyone. You can find much about him on this board. You can look in the "member vendor" section under "914 Porsche Wiring Harnesses, Rebuilding and Repairs". He has a website that offers a wealth of information and you can contact easily via PM or email. He will respond with accurate information and consultation. you can check out his website http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/

Additionally, he is the best source for information on the 914 Limited Edition cars that were built in 1974. Good luck with your car. This community will help get you through ANY question about these beloved cars!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.