Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 Fuel system/cam questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ldsgeek
My 1974 1.8l project car came with a single carb barf.gif and as far as I can tell none of the original L-Jet equipment is left. My questions are: first, about how much would it cost to replace all the original fuel injection (manifolds, electronics, fuel pump, etc). to get back to stock and second, If I decide to go with 2 40IDFs, what cam should I consider to replace the stocker. I am not concerned with a show car, just a nice driving DD/rare AX ride, so whichever way works out best (money and time) is the direction I will head in.
underthetire
I'm sure you can pick up a L-jet from someone here pretty cheap. The minute you open the case to do a cam and lifters, talking lots of $$. Might as well re-build at that point. Carbs used will be 350-500, cam and lifters ~400, main bearings, cam bearings, rod bearings, gaskets, on and on. I would think you could pick up a Ljet for a couple hundred bucks.
Cupomeat
Yes, Troll the classified and post a WTB.

Many people make the mistake of replacing FI on their stock engines so they are out there.
Mikey914
You are correct in assuming that the cam would give the desired result. I'd presonally troll for the injection system. If you're going to spend the cash build something that can get more out of the set up.... say 2056.
Bleyseng
QUOTE(ldsgeek @ Oct 1 2010, 12:20 PM) *

My 1974 1.8l project car came with a single carb barf.gif and as far as I can tell none of the original L-Jet equipment is left. My questions are: first, about how much would it cost to replace all the original fuel injection (manifolds, electronics, fuel pump, etc). to get back to stock and second, If I decide to go with 2 40IDFs, what cam should I consider to replace the stocker. I am not concerned with a show car, just a nice driving DD/rare AX ride, so whichever way works out best (money and time) is the direction I will head in.

Complete Ljet is around for $250-400 depending on condition...and setup correctly it drives damn nice and better than any carb setup.
A 1.8L just doesn't have tons of hp so driving nice and smoothly with the Ljet is the way to go for a DD.
More hp, go later on to a 2056 motor with a Raby cam and the Ljet will still fit the bill and deliver that same smoothness along with 115hp baby!
Drums66
QUOTE(underthetire @ Oct 1 2010, 07:50 AM) *

I'm sure you can pick up a L-jet from someone here pretty cheap. The minute you open the case to do a cam and lifters, talking lots of $$. Might as well re-build at that point. Carbs used will be 350-500, cam and lifters ~400, main bearings, cam bearings, rod bearings, gaskets, on and on. I would think you could pick up a Ljet for a couple hundred bucks.

....I'm with him(get away from me) laugh.gif poke.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.