Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do you remove the shock
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I would like to remove the shock to bead blast it clean. But I cant seem to pull the shock out from the struts. What am I doing wrong. What is trick to remove it ?

Thanks in Advance.

Ted
qa1142
Pull, should come right out
913B
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Oct 1 2010, 07:54 PM) *

Pull, should come right out

I had a vise hold the shaft of the shock and I was pounding down on the strut and it would not come out ?
messix
gotta a torch?

heat the end to expand the bottom socket and pull it out.
913B
Problem solved. So basically I drained all the fluid of the strut by inverting it upside down in a catch pan. Then I clamped the strut straight up/down on my vise by the threads of the strut. Without the fluid in the shock I was able to basically yanked down on the strut and it eventually came out. What was holding it was a black seal around the cartridge to the strut housing. I guess you can try to pick it out but it was easier yanking the strut down. Total time was probably less then 15 mintues for both struts. I re-threaded the strut cap and the threads were not damaged. Hope this bit of information helps the next guy.

Ted

smile.gif
Cap'n Krusty
2 questions: Were they original shocks (i.e, not self contained), or were they inserts? Did you replace the oil when you reassembled the strut?

The Cap'n
913B
I believe they were the original. They were not self contained. I dont plan on using that shock again so I am not replacing the oil.
I have a set of drop in Bilesteins to replace it with.
Will that not work ?? Do I need to fill it with some oil as well with the Bilestein ?

Ted
Cap'n Krusty
You need oil in there to help with heat transfer. ATF works, I think.

The Cap'n
mihai914
Can someone please explain the non self contained shock?

All 914s I have worked on had inserts that were installed dry?

Thank you!
Andyrew
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Oct 6 2010, 03:30 PM) *

You need oil in there to help with heat transfer. ATF works, I think.

The Cap'n

Cap'n,

Is oil required? I have Koni red's up front with no oil around them. Havent had any issues...
jaxdream
I don't know about any of the other years , but I had 2 sets of struts off of 73 MY , and both sets had holes in the bottoms - from the factory all the way through to where the balljoint pin inserts leaving the idea of putting any type of fluid / coolant in there very questionable. confused24.gif

My observation / $ .02.......

Jack / Jaxdream
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.