Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Wheels on the Porsche
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clay914
So, I've bought my first 914, 1972 1.7, fixed the first catastrophic breakdown (fuel pump quit within the first 24 hours of ownership) and now I want to do a little bit of upgrading and dressing up. I would like to start with a new set of wheels and tires but am unsure of what will fit. I would rather not add GT style flares but I would be willing to roll the fenders out for a little extra clearance.

So on an essentially stock 4 lug setup what size wheels can I fit?
What is the backspacing needed to fit wheels?
What is the size of the wheel bolt pattern?
Will the wheels from other car models fit a 4 lug 914?

Any info would be helpful. Thanks guys.
orange914
basically 5.5x15 is the biggest 4 bolt to fit the stock well. some 914's fit some need a light roll. welcome.png
bernbomb914
These fit[
attachmentid=235675][
underthetire
welcome.png

Bolt pattern is 4X130, so pretty much 914 only. Late bugs are also 4X130, but the offset is usually wrong. 5 lug conversion gives you a few more options, mine is running 16X7 phone dials on stock fenders. Honda/toyota etc are usually 4X115 or something smaller than the 4X130.
draganc
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Oct 2 2010, 11:24 AM) *

These fit[
attachmentid=235675][

bernie,
are those 5.5 or 7 inch ATS? Whcih tires do you have mounted?
thanks!
davep
I had 7" ATS (as above) except in 5 bolt pattern with 185/70 tires under stock fenders. I did notice a significant drop in gas mileage after that.
draganc
QUOTE(davep @ Oct 3 2010, 09:42 AM) *

... I did notice a significant drop in gas mileage after that....

just to make sure i understand you correctly, you changed from stock tires to ATS and the car used more gas??

orange914
not only will most fatter tires decrease your mpg from increased rolling resistance but the added weight will be part of the equation.

not meaning to hijack, but any quick experiance/input on which is more of a factor to decreased mpg & why?
draganc
QUOTE(orange914 @ Oct 4 2010, 04:24 PM) *

not only will most fatter tires decrease your mpg from increased rolling resistance but the added weight will be part of the equation.

not meaning to hijack, but any quick experiance/input on which is more of a factor to decreased mpg & why?

i agree about the increased rolling resistance but find it hard to belive that the added weight will be a factor to significant drop the gas mileage.

anyway, what to you consider significant?

with the added rolling resistance i would guess less then 5%. i used to drive summer/winter tires with different sizes (on a Jetta, Saab and Audi) but did not see any significant changes.
underthetire
I do know if your alignment is off, wider tires make it much worse, so I could see the mileage really drop.
bernbomb914
I have 6" in rear and 5.5"in front with stock fenders Tire size is 205 55Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.