Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Houston older car mechanic help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david63
Recently moved to the Houston area. Looking for a "old school" independent mechanic that understands the old cars. I have a couple of 914's (one 1974 914-2.0 & a original 1970 914-6) that need a little attention and I don't have the time or access (living in an apartment for now). You guys know what I am talking about. I had a good mechanic in the Fort Worth (Benbrook) area that was a bit eccentric (would not answer the phone, slow on the email response, etc) but he was really good on the old cars and did good work at a reasonable price. I appreciate your help.
xperu
David, where are you located in the Houston area? Mike
david63
QUOTE(xperu @ Oct 2 2010, 11:10 AM) *

David, where are you located in the Houston area? Mike

Apartment is just off of Westheimer and Sam Houston tollway. Both cars are in the garage in Midland. Will bring them to the mechanic one at a time as time allows.

underthetire
Too bad your not closer to Dallas. My brother is a Mec/restorer there, and has had 3 P cars, and more VW's than i can count. He currently works in a custom hot rod shop there. He's now in to Tri-5's.
patssle
QUOTE(david63 @ Oct 2 2010, 08:47 AM) *

Apartment is just off of Westheimer and Sam Houston tollway. Both cars are in the garage in Midland. Will bring them to the mechanic one at a time as time allows.

Whoo, another 914er in Houston! Does that bring us up to 3 or 4? laugh.gif Just got back from a drive up through the Sam Houston National Forest around Lake Conroe. I'm a little north of I-10 and Beltway...about 15 minutes from you.

I haven't found anybody in Houston that is a 914 expert. Mike Callas out in Sealy has experience with classic Porsches - not sure about the 914 though. But I've called him before and he's open to working on the 914. He gets pretty good reviews on the Pelican 911 forum. http://www.rennsportporscheworks.com/

Check this out too, a Porsche swap meet on the 16th. I'll be there at Porsche North Houston.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/tex-mex-tx-...t-oct-16th.html
david63
Sorry for the long delay time. I will contact the guy in Sealy that you mentioned when I know I am going to be in town for a few weeks. I need a bit of fuel injection and wiring work sorted out on the 1974 2.0 and I may have hurt my 2.5 short stroke 1970 914-6 at the last autocross. It used to run on 6 cylinders and now it is more like 5. It is twin plugged so I do not think it is a plug wire. I will do some detective work and go from there. I will also try to get a few pictures of the car posted.

I travel a lot in this job. I was planning on going to the event in Houston but just found out I will be in California for the next three weeks. Would like to bring the cars down but the apartment really is no place for a 914 (they have no sense of humor about the normal air cooled engine oil leakage - at least all of my cars leak a little - hell if they stop leaking I must be out of oil). Would like to get together sometime to see your car and talk 914's. Send me a PM with contact info if you don't mind.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.