Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Pressure Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjbunn
When I started my 2.0L FI this morning, there was a bit of oil smoke out of the exhaust, but this stopped after the car had been running for a few seconds.

The green oil warning light on the dash was flickering - it doesn't normally do that. I also have an oil pressure gauge which showed 60psi (as it always does when the engine is cold) - so the flickering was puzzling.

The oil light continued to flicker except when accelerating, until the engine was warmed up, at which point it didn't flicker anymore, accelerating or at idle. The pressure gauge showed about 12psi at idle and 40psi at 3000rpm.

I thought the oil light indicated low pressure ... so why doesn't its behaviour match what my pressure gauge says? Have I got a bad sender, or is this something more sinister?!

Thanks.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
I would certainly check the oil level when hot and the oil settled for a few minutes. Then I would check the electrical connections and as you probably have the dual sender, make sure it is grounded with the clamp. THEN make sure you have no new oil leaks!!

QUOTE(jjbunn @ Oct 2 2010, 02:01 PM) *

When I started my 2.0L FI this morning, there was a bit of oil smoke out of the exhaust, but this stopped after the car had been running for a few seconds.

The green oil warning light on the dash was flickering - it doesn't normally do that. I also have an oil pressure gauge which showed 60psi (as it always does when the engine is cold) - so the flickering was puzzling.

The oil light continued to flicker except when accelerating, until the engine was warmed up, at which point it didn't flicker anymore, accelerating or at idle. The pressure gauge showed about 12psi at idle and 40psi at 3000rpm.

I thought the oil light indicated low pressure ... so why doesn't its behaviour match what my pressure gauge says? Have I got a bad sender, or is this something more sinister?!

Thanks.

jjbunn
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 2 2010, 02:06 PM) *

I would certainly check the oil level when hot and the oil settled for a few minutes. Then I would check the electrical connections and as you probably have the dual sender, make sure it is grounded with the clamp. THEN make sure you have no new oil leaks!!

Thanks.

OK George ... thanks! I know that I am somewhat over-filled (about 1" above the top mark on the dipstick), but I'll make the checks you suggest.
Tom_T
Drain it to proper level Julian, they don't like to be overfull & can cause damage. You can "tweak" it down with the drain plug just partially out. Thereafter, don't overfill - it's easier today with the see through level strips in the bottles, vs. the old school Qt. oil cans! biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I am assuming that you have the dual sender? The unit that has both the outlets for the oil pressure and the idiot light on the same sender? If so, I'd look at electrical issues. Particularly a poor connection at the sender for the idiot light. It might just need to be cleaned and tightened down.

Zach
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(jjbunn @ Oct 2 2010, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 2 2010, 02:06 PM) *

Thanks.

OK George ... thanks! I know that I am somewhat over-filled (about 1" above the top mark on the dipstick), but I'll make the checks you suggest.

Over filling to that degree can be harmful to the engine.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.