Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1981 vintage car photos need i.d.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mary Shortridge
I found some slides in my brother's stuff, dated 1981. I suspect they were taken in the Boulder/Denver area. It brightened my day to see he was interested in Porsches a full ten years before he purchased Buttercup, but saddens me that he isn't here to fill me in on the story behind the photos. I looked on the internet and found this website, but didn't see any information about these particular cars. Just for fun, can anyone fill me in a bit more? I appreciate your help!Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mary Shortridge
I'll have to send photos individually, I guess...
Mary Shortridge
Another...
Mary Shortridge
and another...
Mary Shortridge
another....
Mary Shortridge
another...
Mary Shortridge
And lastly...
Sleepin
Mellups, from the East Coast (MD, DC, NOVA area), still runs #94 on a 944S2:

Found this:
Ivars V.Mellups has been a Porsche owner since 1965 and
a PCA member since 1970. He was co-editor of der
Vorgänger with wife Susan in the early 1970s.He’s owned, in
order, a ’61 356B, a ’70 914-4 (which was autocrossed and
raced in SCCA), another ’70 914-4 fully race prepared for
SCCA, a ’79 911SC, an ’00 Boxster S and now an ’89
944S2.
Ferg
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 3 2010, 01:41 PM) *

another...

The red one is a Toyota Sports 800, Toyota's first sports car, 1965-1969 pretty rare these days, super tiny with 45 HP w00t.gif

Not sure these are taken in Colorado, the pic with the motorhome, the forest is just too thick, I'd say back east somewhere.

Blue 911 is a 73 911T Targa, most likely a 73.5 CIS car with the cookies.

KaptKaos
QUOTE(Ferg @ Oct 3 2010, 06:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 3 2010, 01:41 PM) *

another...

The red one is a Toyota Sports 800, Toyota's first sports car, 1965-1969 pretty rare these days, super tiny with 45 HP w00t.gif

Not sure these are taken in Colorado, the pic with the motorhome, the forest is just too thick, I'd say back east somewhere.

Love the 'Yota.

I believe that the Capri in the first pick has Maryland tags on it.
carr914
coolpics.gif

I'm thinking East Coast as well, maybe VIR or Summit Point
anderssj
agree.gif

Looks like a Mid-Atlantic Road Racing Series ("MARRS") sticker on the front of the fender below NTW decal. Also, IIRC both Electrodyne and Autoauthority (other stickers on the car) were in the DC area back in the day. Also, the white 911 has "Ted Hulse Racing - Chesapeake VA - Batlimore MD" on the lower driver's side.

You may want to search "Racing Sports Cars" page--there may be something there:

http://www.racingsportscars.com/

Great pictures!
Mary Shortridge
Thanks so much for all the info! Now, you have created more of a mystery.... I can't remember Lee being back East that year. There are mountain scenic photos in the box of slides, but I didn't have any of those printed. Guess I'll take a second look. Glad you enjoyed the photos.
type47
In the pix of the white car on the trailer, I think that's Summit Point Motorsports park in Summit Point, WV. I just spent the weekend there and the building is the classroom and registration rooms and the snack bar. The road going up to the left goes to the timing and scoring building and control tower. License plate and decals are consistent with east coast; Electrodyne was located in Alexandria/Arlington and SP would be the local track.
smdubovsky
x2 summit. Ted Hulse used to run there in his later white turbo. His pic is still up on the wall in 'chez summit'. I think VIR was still shut down in the 80s. FWIW, I met Ted the 2nd weekend after VIR was reopened (late 90s) @ a NASA event.

Edit: Wasn't there an Anthony's strip club down in DC? (5th pic) biggrin.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Mary Shortridge @ Oct 3 2010, 04:41 PM) *

another...

That's a Virginia license plate on the Chevrolet behind the Toyota Sports 800...
Drums66
...I've owned a few of the rides in your photo's flag.gif
thanks for the pic's(memories) bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.