Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fitment of repro LE front spoiler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigDBass

I just finished installing a tow bar bracket from David Lee/RennenMetal.

I don't really want to swap the bracket and stock valence on and off so I'm trying to install a repro fiberglass LE front spoiler that I believe was from Automotion.

I understand that this particular repro is not the best fitting one "off the shelf". But I'm trying to make it work and FAST because I have very little 914 wrenching time prior to heading down to MUSR next week.

What tweaking have others done to fit this spoiler?

The center mounting tabs seem to be too tall, resulting in a rather sizable gap between the bottom of my bumper and the top of the air dam. Can I cut down the top of the tab? Would a dremel work or is that not right for fiber glass?
okieflyr
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 4 2010, 09:42 AM) *

I just finished installing a tow bar bracket from David Lee/RennenMetal.

I don't really want to swap the bracket and stock valence on and off so I'm trying to install a repro fiberglass LE front spoiler that I believe was from Automotion.

I understand that this particular repro is not the best fitting one "off the shelf". But I'm trying to make it work and FAST because I have very little 914 wrenching time prior to heading down to MUSR next week.

What tweaking have others done to fit this spoiler?

The center mounting tabs seem to be too tall, resulting in a rather sizable gap between the bottom of my bumper and the top of the air dam. Can I cut down the top of the tab? Would a dremel work or is that not right for fiber glass?

Dan, I can't speak to the tab length, but the dremel will do just fine with the fiberglass. I preffer the thicker cut off wheel since they are more durable.
plas76targa
Dan - I did the same mod, DLEE tow bar and found a GT valence at Hershey. The tabs lined up ok but I had to cut out a bit of the top edge to fit it around the Pilot driving lites I have from CAMP914. I attached the front first and the wheel well attach points last.

let's see if I can add a picture.
Click to view attachment
BigDBass
Should the top edge of the LE spoiler be flush with the bottom edge of the bumper?
BigDBass
plugging away by the seat of my pants..

should the mounting tabs be the same height as that on the stock valence? like 9/16".. so I would need to trim off a lot of the tabs on the repro!
BigDBass
Hmm, maybe got it functionally fitted at this point. Won't know until mounting hardware arrives cuz I sheared a bolt and 2 of those little clips fell apart.
bobhasissues
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 5 2010, 10:14 PM) *

Hmm, maybe got it functionally fitted at this point. Won't know until mounting hardware arrives cuz I sheared a bolt and 2 of those little clips fell apart.

Dan, Run over to an AutoZone in your neighborhood. They sell a variety of panel clips and misc hardware that will get you back on track.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.