Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche factory Tour info
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott Carlberg
Anyways, went to the Porsche factory tour. On 3 occasions outside, I saw a silver 997 (couldn't take pictures as all cameras must be left in the museum). The 997 is different from 996 but to the untrained eye (non-enthusiast), they are very very similar. The profile of the 997 is still "996". The changes are the details in the front bumper, lights, rear lid, exhasts etc. Nothing major. most people will not be able to tell.

In my opinion, the exterior changes alone do not warrant an upgrade from 996 to 997. I have no idea what mechanical changes have been made though. Personally, I am going to continue driving my 996TT until the 998TT regardless of whether there will be a 997TT or not.

Also, in the factory, 1 of the production lines are already producing the engines marked "997".

A few facts about our cars:

All Porsches are cold tested (90 secs for turbo) and hot tested for 30 minutes at 6000rpm. Each engine is tested this way to ensure it is making actual power. It is true, there is no need to "break-in" our cars..you can drive em hard right away as I did. All cars are test driven for 30 km on the autobahn. Test drivers for Porsche have worked there for at least 10 years and is seen as a reward for the commitment and work.

Boxster engine takes about 80-90 minutes to assemble. 996 NA engines take 112 minutes. Turbo engines take 200 minutes. (these figures may not be exact - it is what I remember but shows the difference between the engines).

About 20% of the cars value is made by Porsche. The remaining 80% value is contracted out. Most contracted work is made in and around Stuttgart. Porsche then assembles all the parts into our cars.

Porsche workers are paid less than their counterparts at (ie. Mercedes) but work is much more interesting as each worker assembles by hand an entire engine. Also, all workers share in profit. In 2003, all workers got a bonus of 3,000 Euros. Porsche employs 10,000 workers in all their factories. 4,800 work in Stuttgart. The factory is VERY clean.

Workers in german auto industry are mandated to have 5 minute breaks every hour. At Porsche, workers have 10 minute breaks every 2 hours so that they can go to the bathroom, have a smoke/coffee and be back in time. On each assembly line, everyone takes a break at the same time.

The factory is very small for a car maker. 911 and some Boxsters are made here in Stuttgart, most Boxsters are made in Finland and Cayennes in Leipzig. ALL engines are made in Stuttgart however. They just get shipped out.

They make more 996's per day than Boxsters. They have a saying that no Porsche is ever exactly the same each day on the assembly line. Porsches are made to order. on an average 2 shift day, approximately 150-170 Porsches are made at Stuttgart.

1 more thing about the 4 door Porsche sedan. This is what THEY say: they have no idea what it will look like although development has begun on a 4th model. The guide told me that the pics they have in magazines depicting the 4 door Porsche are made-up...FAKE

For factory tours, appointments must be made by telephone in advance. Minimum age is 18 (you are literally a few feet away from the machines, and people are working in there as you tour).

Phone is: 49 711 911-5384
English tour only at 10AM
Tour is about 1 hour 15 minutes

The factory is located in Zuffenhausen, Stuttgart. Hotels, taxis etc all know where it is. Highly reccomended.
Gint
Thanks a lot Scott!
Mueller
I liked the cases of beer sitting on the floor near the assembly lines beer3.gif

The tour was worth it, but I felt a little "empty" afterwards, I don't know what else I expected.....
lunch, a test drive, a new GT2 motor?? smile.gif ......
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.