Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing the Rich Johnson mount this week
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Scott S
I am going to install my Rich Johnson mount this week. Any tricks to aligning it? I am primarily concerned about getting the height correct.

Thanks!!
Scott S
beerchug.gif
BigDBass
I didn't know Rick made mounts for Johnsons! alien.gif
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(BigDBass @ Oct 4 2010, 08:01 AM) *

I didn't know Rick made mounts for Johnsons! alien.gif

Dan slap.gif smile.gif

Scott,

I assume you are talking about a /6 mount. I had one of Rich's mounts in my /6 racecar. Brad Mayeur's shop did the welding for me, actually it was Michael that did it. I know they have done these in the past. Give Brad a call 309-694-1797 I am sure he can fill you in on the details.
mepstein
Ask Rich - a914guy@aol.com - then post answer since I need to know as well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Oct 4 2010, 08:52 AM) *

I am going to install my Rich Johnson mount this week. Any tricks to aligning it? I am primarily concerned about getting the height correct.

Thanks!!
Scott S
beerchug.gif

Level the car, then use a level on the mount for horizontal.

I bolted the nose cone to the engine and measured the distance from the top of the bolt hole for the front mounts to the engine tin.

I then used that measurement to figure out how far down from the engine shelf the top of the mount had to be.

Btw. the engine tin sits a bit lower than the engine shelf.

shades.gif Andy
McMark
The Rich Johnson mount usually ends up with the bottom sitting on the weld flange. (i.e. all the way down). But make your own measurements just to be sure. Bolt all the pieces onto the motor, then measure from the engine tin to the flat portion of the mount. Disassemble everything then use your measurement to approximate the location on the body to weld the mount. As Andy mentioned, the engine tin should sit lower than the engine shelf by about 0.5" - 1".

A level is handy, but make sure to level the chassis before you use a level on the mount. Also it's helpful to mark the center of the mount. There is a small metal tab that holds a brake line seen in the red picture below which is welded in the center of the chassis. You can use that for centering, plus measuring from the two stiffening ribs on either side of the mount.
IPB Image
Scott S
Thanks all -
I will go grab the thing and bolt it all up to the motor.

I dont have any directions for this, can somone tell me the correct way to stack the components of the actual rubber mounts (what washers go where)? I have seen many threads where people have installed the motor/tranny mounts incorrectly and I want to make double sure I get it right - both for safety and for the actual measurement.

Thanks again!
Scott S
SLITS
Motor mount shelf 7" from pan weld seam for all things except CIS. If CIS set shelf at 6 1/2" from pan weld seam so that the CIS will clear engine lid.

Cut engine lid mount away if CIS and use hood pins. If you want the engine lid latch, move it to the right side and lengthen the pull cable.
Scott S
Ron - you are the man.

Thanks so much!
Scott S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.