Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vacuum lines issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yrret7
Help!!! I bought a new set of vacuum lines from AA . The diagram that came with them does not seem to match the ones on the car. The first issue is there is a charcoal cannster along the trunk wall that Is in the shape of a small muffler. It has two vacuum lines comming from it. One goes to the nipple on the top cover at the trunk side of the air cleaner. The other goes to a nipple on the engine beside the spark plug closer to the firewall side of the engine ( where does that nipple go to?). The charcoal canaster if this is even what it is. Just a guess!!! Should it be on the 1974 LE ?
Does anyone have a picture of it on there car?
On the digram of the setup of vacuum lines from AA it shows the hose from the decel valve going to the nipple that the Carcoal canaster now goes to.
I don't want to remove the canaster if it came on the car from the factory like that.

The AA digram also shows a hose comming off the air cleaner and going to the gas tank evaporator. Maybe thats what I think Is the charcoal cannster?

Help!!!
Thanks
Terry
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The diagram is correct but of course the dist vacuum does not go to the charcoal cannister!!!! Call me personally and I will go over the diagram with you.

QUOTE(yrret7 @ Oct 4 2010, 09:59 AM) *

Help!!! I bought a new set of vacuum lines from AA . The diagram that came with them does not seem to match the ones on the car. The first issue is there is a charcoal cannster along the trunk wall that Is in the shape of a small muffler. It has two vacuum lines comming from it. One goes to the nipple on the top cover at the trunk side of the air cleaner. The other goes to a nipple on the engine beside the spark plug closer to the firewall side of the engine ( where does that nipple go to?). The charcoal canaster if this is even what it is. Just a guess!!! Should it be on the 1974 LE ?
On the digram of the setup of vacuum lines from AA it shows the hose from the decel valve going to the nipple that the Carcoal canaster now goes to.
I don't want to remove the canaster if it came on the car from the factory like that.

The AA digram also shows a hose comming off the air cleaner and going to the gas tank evaporator. Maybe thats what I think Is the charcoal cannster?

Help!!!
Thanks
Terry

Tom_T

The first issue is there is a charcoal cannster along the trunk wall that Is in the shape of a small muffler.

IIRC the canister on a 74 should still be on top of the gas tank IIRC. Someone may have updated it with the 75-76 canister in the engine bay.
(FYI - the later canisters could be popped open & refilled with new charcoal pellets, whereas the other older ones couldn't & needed full replacement - which most of us never did - but maybe the PO converted yours to do so?)

Verify this with George when you call him, per his post above.
poorsche914
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Oct 4 2010, 01:19 PM) *
IIRC the canister on a 74 should still be on top of the gas tank IIRC. Someone may have updated it with the 75-76 canister in the engine bay.
(FYI - the later canisters could be popped open & refilled with new charcoal pellets, whereas the other older ones couldn't & needed full replacement - which most of us never did - but maybe the PO converted yours to do so?)

My LE has the lines running to the engine bay for the canister but the canister is missing (guess the PO didn't need it). confused24.gif
yrret7
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Oct 4 2010, 09:12 AM) *

The diagram is correct but of course the dist vacuum does not go to the charcoal cannister!!!! Call me personally and I will go over the diagram with you.

Help!!!
Thanks
Terry

Hi George
Thanks for your reply. I will give you a call.
I guess over the years people have been mucking about with the vacuum lines on this car. What I thought was the charcoal cannester could very well be the gas tank evaporator . I'm new at this!!!!! BTW the vacuum hose kit fits just perfect. All the hoses are cut to the perfect length.
Regards
Terry
poorsche914
QUOTE(yrret7 @ Oct 4 2010, 02:12 PM) *
BTW the vacuum hose kit fits just perfect. All the hoses are cut to the perfect length.
Regards
Terry

Glad to hear that as I am getting ready to order the kit for my LE.
yrret7
Just to let everyone know that I gave George a call at Auto Atlanta and he walked me through the vacuum line diagram. What I thought was the charcoal canister is indeed that. Some were mounted up by the tank and others were in the engine bay. Over the years people have mucked around with the vacuum hoses on this car and I have them now connected up right thanks to George and their diagram. It's nice to get rid of all the hose clamps and oversize hoses that have been replaced over the years. With the Kit I bought from AA there is no need for hose clamps!!! ( just a little Plug George)
The reason I replaced the vacuum hoses was I was having an issue with my cold start idle . I felt the first thing was to make sure there were no vacuum leaks. Mine were a mess. So I have now replaced them.
George also explained how the Aux air valve worked and how to test it to make sure it was working correctly. Thanks For all your help George !!!!!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.