Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Doctor Evil or intern
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
damnfiknow
Have completed the refresh of my transmission using Dr. Evil's video. What a ride. If you haven't tried it, your really need to. I have my engine out and on a test block working on carb linkage, etc. Have been running using a throw away transmission case for starter setup. I'm wondering if there is a safe way to run my transmission on the block to see if I am OK or looking for big fall. Can I some way engage the gears while on the test block running?
Richard Casto
I haven't tried this so I can't give you direct advice from the perspective of what works and doesn't. But I have thought about building some type of stand to test run transmissions after rebuilding them.

In theory, it should work. Clearly you have to cover the basics such as having a working clutch, fluid in the transmission, etc. But you should be able to treat it like it's in the car. Without a gear shift, you should be able to shift gears directly on the transmission. With the lever being so short, it might be difficult to shift, so you might be able to rig up some type of longer lever. Just make sure you work out in advance the gear pattern so you know what gears you are selecting.
Dr Evil
Not really worth it. You must realize that the gear box needs opposition to its rotation, i.e. it needs a load. The bench run will not be a good test of the usually novice mistakes like the whine of an improperly shimmed pinion. It will likely whine if not loaded with something. So, you need to put wheels on it, which means axles, and you need a way to keep the axles from flailing so you need trailing arms. All of this can be found on your car wink.gif

It is not hard to remove just the transmission from the car if you find something wrong. MAN UP! tongue.gif
Richard Casto
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Oct 5 2010, 03:57 AM) *

Not really worth it. You must realize that the gear box needs opposition to its rotation, i.e. it needs a load.

Yeah, I was thinking about that last night. With the backlash that exists between various mating parts, it probably would make lots of noise if not under load.
Dr Evil
Yup, just how they tend to whine a little when going down hill and being driven rather than driving, or when there is no load.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.